Home Adobe Substance

[Noob] Can't paint over a mask : No material

triangle
Offline / Send Message
Lilium triangle
Hey everyone ! 
I'm a complete noob on substance painter and I can't figure out how to do a simple thing. 
Here's my window : 

As you can see, I'm on a Paint Layer linked to a black mask layer. And I can't paint. I can't select any material (nor do I want to, I simply want the black/white thing) and I don't have any brush. It doesn't let me paint anything. I don't even have a grayscale. Does anyone know why? I'm following Allegorithmic's tutorial and they don't seem to have any problems. 

If I add a simple layer, everything comes back but not on that layer. 

Also, trying to find a solution I got stuck in the "using quick mask" option. Does anyone know how to get out?

Thanks a lot to anyone answering, it's driving me insane! 

Replies

• Bek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bek interpolator
    You can find keybinds under Edit -> Settings -> Shortcuts. By default Y will remove the quick-mask, and T is to edit and use quick-mask (and I to invert). With that active you won't be able to paint on any areas that are masked out areas.

As for your problem, it looks like your brush has somehow had its greyscale value removed — not sure how you've done that. It should have a greyscale slider showing the current value. You can also see from the brush Preview (The black square next to the one that says "No material" that the brush currently does nothing. Reset the brush by selecting it again, or select a different brush; that should solve your problem... Selecting a material might be necessary too if adding the greyscale value back in doesn't help. Additionally, to actually use the paint layer you've added, you need it selected to be active; in that screenshot you have the mask itself active. I'd suggest avoiding painting on the mask itself if you're going to have paint layers in the stack, in my experience that is buggy.
  • liketotallyakid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    liketotallyakid polycounter lvl 6
    @Bek @Lilium

I'm having the same issue. for some reason it won't let me add a grayscale vale, or a material. any idea what's going on?
  • Lensar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lensar null
    Hello @Lilium and @liketotallyakid ,

I had the same issue just a Minute ago.

What seems to have fixed it for me might be worth a try:

I saved the file on the basic spp format, restarted the program and then opened the project.
    Afterwards i rightclicked the Layer and added a "Paint" (mask i guess?) - it seems to be impossible to paint on the layer itself but when you reselect the Paint "Mask" (which is actually still there for you @Lilium ), you should be able to paint it again.

Greetz another noob at Substance Painter :P
  • chilton
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DAMMIT. I spent 5 hours just now, with this bug. I had no idea it was a bug. I thought I was just 'too new' to the program. 

Dammit dammit dammit. 

Save, Quit, and Load it again, and it works just fine. 

-Chilton
  • dezmond102
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dezmond102 polycounter lvl 3
    Hi everyone! 
    I had same issue. To fix it you need to select the BRUSH tool in the toolbar on the left side of the window. 
    I think I accidentally pressed a hotkey to switch to the smudge tool and this was a problem. 

I hope I could help =)
  • Bijuu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi everyone!

I seem to have found the cause and the solution for this problem. For me this "bug" appears after I select certain brushes, namely BLUR brush, which obviously doesnt have any applicable material. Though to resolve this issue without restarting the program you simply should click on any other brush with a material (its not all of them, Cracks for example or Footprints).

Good luck with your Art, Mates!