Home Digital Sketchbooks

Sketchbook: Lon Ganancial

vertex
Offline / Send Message
imlon vertex

Fan art 2D of Gorillaz - Stylized Bust Anatomy & Render Study

Program used: ZBrush & Photoshop

Process breakdown:

Mood board: A bit lazy to collect more reference image and so excited to start immediately

Base mesh: Yes, it feels like cheating, but I really don't have that much experience doing anatomically human face to start from a sphere or cube, so please forgive me. Base mesh by: Brice Laville Saint-Martin

Stage 1: Day 1, for some weird reason, I immediately tried to render this initial sculpt.

Stage 2: At this point, I decided not to use the hat he is wearing in the reference image.

Stage3: As usual, I tried to render it again before I went to sleep.

Stage 4: Day 2, Here's where I feel tired and just want to finish this and move on.

Stage 5: Just messing around blending Render passes using Photoshop.

Stage 6: Not really sure if this is the end of this because I still feel it lacks emotion & charm to call it done in my own opinion, but maybe someday if I ever learned more techniques rendering/sculpting I will use him again for experimental purposes.

Replies

• imlon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    imlon vertex

Human Ears Anatomy Study - Semi Stylized Base Ears

Program used: ZBrush & Photoshop

Process breakdown:

Mood board: It really looks easy & simple task at first glance.

Workflow: Started with a sphere & initialized to cube, and I use insert prim and curve tube method to blockout shapes and forms easily.

Final Render: Just simple lighting, AO, shadow & SSS in photoshop using render passes from zbrush.

• imlon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    imlon vertex

Adidas Sneakers - Fan Art

Program used: ZBrush, Keyshot, Quixel Suite 2 & Photoshop

Process breakdown:

Day 1: Started from bottom Sole of the shoes, and bend it after, then blocked-out the main shoes base mesh for shoes part extraction.

Day 2: Finished extracting almost every parts of the shoes, except for the shoelace.

Day 3: Done with the shoe lace & tried to render in keyshot, to get more ideas how to make it look and feel shoes.

Day 4: Trial and Error with micro details using surface/noise in zbrush.

Day 5: Finished & Optimized the high poly mesh.

Day 6 & 7: Finally after the boring part of Retopo & UV Unwrapping I made the base texture & test render again with keyshot before proceeding to more detailed and fancy texture.

• imlon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    imlon vertex

Fantasy Stylized Mythical Creature

Program used: ZBrush, Keyshot, 3D Coat, Marmoset Toolbag & Photoshop

Process breakdown:

2D Concept: Amazing  2d concept by Nicholas Kole

Day 1: As usual, started with primary shape and form, I use rhino anatomy for the back to give me more idea how to tackle this kind of creature.

Day 2: Took me a while to decide how to make the grass body, and decided to go spikey the hell out of it.

Day 3: Mostly just refining some area & adding more micro details for this stage.

Day 4: Decided to redo & simplify hairs.

Day 5: Tried to retopo using 3dCoat, took me a while to figure out how to use this software.

Day 6: I've decided to redo everything, because it feels so boxy for me & this time I did separate spikes and other parts.

Day 7: Finally after few hours of retopo, able to unwrap uv & make the base texture, for some reason, I actually forgot to retopo the cattails T_T

Day 8: Posed and rendered our creature in marmoset toolbag to give it a bit some life, I also made the cattail sausage & eyes glow so it kinda look mythical & powerful now & to match its beard hehe.

model
  • Elithenia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Elithenia polycounter
    This is looking really nice! Keep up the good work :) 
  • imlon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    imlon vertex
    Elithenia said:
    This is looking really nice! Keep up the good work :) 
    Thank you Ms. Sanna!  :smiley:
  • Elithenia
  • imlon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    imlon vertex

Evil Morty - Fan Art

Program used: ZBrush, 3DCoat & Photoshop

Process breakdown:

Day 1: I tried to google "morty character sheet", and found this, which made it easier for me to start. As usual, I started blocking primary forms & shapes, initial result reminds me of Mr. Robinsons wife from the amazing world of gumball.

Day 2: I only had few hours to spare so I only finish the base suit & pants.

Day 3: Added some micro details for his clothing & decided to make a portal gun, and hoping  I can make his shoes and belt tommorow.

Day 4: Slightly changed the suit to make it look more a bit villain, and made some gentleman shoes.

Day 5: Portal gun retopo and base texture

Day 6: President Evil Morty retopo & base texture.