Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[WIP] Hoverbike

polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
mickeyvpn polycounter lvl 8
Current stage

Hi there!
I'm started modelling hoverbike to improve my skills in MODO. I made a couple of rough sketches to pinpoint base shapes and then jump into MODO for blocking out geometry.

First results reminded some fish :)

Now it's starting looks more like a vehicle than a fish-transformer:

First impressions of MODO: it's cool. In the beginning after switch from 3ds Max it was a little bit awkward as it always happens to me. Navigation was the first thing that I needed to get used to. On the poly modeling field it seems to be very nimble and I like it. But right now weak side for me is that MODO produce unwanted geometry in basic operations(duplicating vertices pop-up constantly).

Replies

• mickeyvpn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Update

Added seat and continuing tweak geometry here and there. Need to make a sitting pose for reference character. Would be nice to have in MODO preset like Biped in 3ds Max.

• mickeyvpn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Update

Made some changes to the rear of the bike and windshield, added bumpers and exhaust.

• mickeyvpn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Update

Building this bike further, struggling with seat right now. It's a bit more difficult than I thought, current version of the seat reminds melted ice cream. Also need to think about headlights.

P.S. Subdiv modelling workflow in MODO is great.

• mickeyvpn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Update

Worked on low poly version and baked normal map. Bring model for painting height details in Substance Painter. Here current shots from Marmoset Toolbag.

• Meloncov
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Meloncov greentooth
    It's looking good. Right now the back bit is getting kinda busy and hard to read, so be sure to emphasize some areas and deemphasize others while you're doing your texturing.
  • mickeyvpn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Meloncov

Hey man thanks for the point it out, I'll change color layout for the entire bike that's for sure.
  • mickeyvpn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Update
    Working further on height details and textures. Changed color layout, now it looks more like a racing/sport vehicle. Interior part need more work though, atm it looks as large black area.

• YannickStoot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    YannickStoot polycounter lvl 3
    Looks very cool man! Would love to check it in MS viewer or Sketchfab.
  • mickeyvpn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @YannickStoot

Thanks man :)

MS viewer on its way, just need to fix some areas with bad topology, nasty artifacts on the normal map bakes appeared in a few places.
  • Jarran
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jarran polycounter lvl 11
    Very slick! Think there might be a little too much dust on the rear though - especially in comparison to everywhere else.
  • mickeyvpn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I agreed @Jarran, engines especially need polishing. On my to-do list now.
  • mickeyvpn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Update

Polishing textures further, lower dust amount on the rear side and engines. Clean up topology for better normal map bake. Will change headlights, it's too simple atm.
    I felt sad when I discovered that I can't attach Marmoset viewer in the post, so I've uploaded model to Sketchfab.

model

• aclund3
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aclund3 polycounter lvl 6
    Really like your concept! Initially I thought it would be much smaller, with the rider 'standing' on the deck, almost like a hoverbike/scooter cross. Was surprised to see the scale of the seat and controls, but I think it works pretty well. Back end is a little square and 'boaty' to me, the front is much more interesting, but overall I really like your work here!
  • Polygoblin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Polygoblin polycounter
    I like the design and the improvement in the thread is awesome. The construction of the outer body looks really odd though. The black outlines around everything makes me think these are all separate pieces of metal jumbled together with little logic in the assembly. You can reduce this by losing the black outlines on the major panels, color and normal. Instead, treat it like a paintjob instead of a bunch of small pieces. This would also have a secondary benefit of cleaning the color composition up a little. Right now the black adds a ton of contrast
  • rustim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rustim polycounter lvl 10
    Modelling looks good.  Design is a bit busy and front heavy.  I know dirting things up is fun, but you could go for a cleaner, new display model look, do a studio style setup for your renders.
  • mickeyvpn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you guys for a valuable feedback ;)

@aclund3 Initial idea was more light and compact you're right, but in the process I decided to make it more heavy, with a big seat, like in the Starcraft's vulture. Rear side is really too rectangular compare to front, need to make some changes for that.

@Polygoblin In the beginning of the color layout work for the entire model I thought that outer body surface need more even look and choose for that these black outlines, it added more contrast in the areas that I wanted to emphasize for the viewer. But now it's too much, small orange part's that divided even more with black lines looks odd, now I see it. Will try to reduce this outlines count. Good idea with paintjob man.

@rustim I think if I clean up rear(in case of design), and make it more like front, with smooth shapes it will look more natural for this bike. Currently I lower the dust and wear amount to make it look more new and clean, but I do not want to remove it completely. I stumbled at some limitations with lowering tris count for the clean and smooth style look. Some normal map artifacts appeared if I make materials too clean and shiny. Triangles showed up like on this image(took from this thread):

Only way that I know to avoid this is to increase poly count, in other way only dirtying things up to hide artifacts. If there another workaround for this task I would be appreciated if you share it with me :)

• aclund3
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aclund3 polycounter lvl 6
    I'd also love to hear if someone has a workaround for fixing those artifacts when lowering the poly count. I find myself with that issue at times as well, so I just leave the poly count a little too high.