Home Career & Education

"OP is good but not "good" good." When do you think you became "good" good?

greentooth
Offline / Send Message
MBauer17 greentooth
I had made a post of a sketch I made on reddit not too far back that got some traction and made it to the front page for a day. As expected there were many positive and a few negative comments. I am pretty thick skinned because that's what the internet has forced me to become but one comment that has been pushing me to become better was what the title says. "Op is good but not 'good' good. Don't expect to get a job doing that." (I've been doing private commission work for the last six months)

When would you say you reached the level of "good" good if ever? How do you feel with that feeling of inadequacy?

Replies

• [Deleted User]
    Offline / Send Message
    [Deleted User] insane polycounter
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • MBauer17
    Offline / Send Message
    MBauer17 greentooth

I'd like to see this sketch you're talking about.
    https://www.reddit.com/comments/6mzzov

It was an improvement post. The one I did back in 2010 vs a redo in 2017. I'm not a professional by any stretch of the word but heckin  heck am I proud of it either way you look at It! I had come back from quitting art all together to now making a little side cash developing personal art for others. 

Honestly if I didn't want criticism I wouldn't have posted It. But places like here have really helped me develop and culture my skills. I understand it's not perfect but is there ever a point where I can sit back and think, "yes, this is 'good good?" 
  • MBauer17
    Offline / Send Message
    MBauer17 greentooth
    Also @TeriyakiStyle you helped me so much on my little knight and frog piece. I can't thank you enough for what you've done to help me learn!
  • [Deleted User]
    Offline / Send Message
    [Deleted User] insane polycounter
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • slosh
    Offline / Send Message
    slosh hero character
    I don't know if I will ever feed "good" good.  I think once you start feeling that way, it's a turn for the worst.  What I have started to feel is a slightly better sense of security with my position in the industry.  I still want to push to learn tons more, improve, and make newer/better art but I don't feel like my next job depends on it anymore.  But, I'm also well aware of what complacency can mean so I don't think I will ever stop pushing.
  • MBauer17
    Offline / Send Message
    MBauer17 greentooth
    @TeriyakiStyle

Thanks that was a great read. Comparing myself to others in a negative light starts a slippery slope into a pond of poison which is what caused my ten year hiatus in the first place. Putting myself into the presence of giants (like joining polycount) has definitely made me feel less than skilled but in a positive light. Being here and asking questions and getting support has made me want to become better, not simply hang my head and expect to never get anywhere.

@slosh

Yeah, I think just having someone willing to pay you a salary is enough to say that you're "good" but when it comes down to personal improvement, it's up to us to push ourselves. As for complacency, I feel that too. "It's good enough" is just as bad as "never good enough." Just wondering have you seen what happens to those that become complacent? I'm currently on the outside looking in.
  • slosh
    Offline / Send Message
    slosh hero character
    Just wondering have you seen what happens to those that become complacent? I'm currently on the outside looking in.
    Absolutely.  I've seen a lot of Sr Artists who never felt the need to learn new software and they just get left in the dust.  They became too comfortable and felt they would never get laid off.  That is a sure fire way to find yourself out of a job and in a deep deep hole to get a new job.
  • Larry
    Offline / Send Message
    Larry interpolator
    Sometimes it is not the quality but the content. It is not a breaking point where you say you are good enough, maybe from your 100 pieces one is good enough, and then anothwr 100 scraps. I believe with experience you kind of understand what aprt of your immagination is more accepted and you train that more. You still make a lot of crappy art, but it is less than before
  • marks
    Offline / Send Message
    marks greentooth
    If you, as an artist, think that you are "good" good, then you probably aren't.
  • NikhilR
    Offline / Send Message
    NikhilR polycounter
    marks said:
    I think its more about knowing what you're good for. Every artist in my opinion (from cool 3d world to blizzard) is good for something.
    Of course there are those that have little in born talent to get a genetic edge over others.
    I'd say they are artistic in how they apply themselves.
    And there is room for them in game dev also (depending on the commercial/financial/political aspect of the company).
  • Larry
    Offline / Send Message
    Larry interpolator
    marks said:
    Realistically talking, most artists think they are never good enough.

@NikhilR
    Talent is nothing more than a kickstarter when you begin doing something. In the end, even talented people need to spend thousands of hours into a craft to become good at it. And after all these thousands of hours, it doesn't matter if you have talent, because you gained it through hard work
  • NikhilR
    Offline / Send Message
    NikhilR polycounter
    Larry said:
    marks said:
    Realistically talking, most artists think they are never good enough.

@NikhilR
    Talent is nothing more than a kickstarter when you begin doing something. In the end, even talented people need to spend thousands of hours into a craft to become good at it. And after all these thousands of hours, it doesn't matter if you have talent, because you gained it through hard work
    Well I for one can say that the hours of hard work needed are a lot less when you have talent. Whether one does these hours is another matter entirely.
    I know people that have spent many hours but are more well trained than exceptionally talented.
    All are relevant though.
  • Bletzkarn
    Offline / Send Message
    Bletzkarn polycounter lvl 6
    Looks good to me it's just not a completed piece. I'm sure if you spent another 20+ hours on painting and touch ups the guy would say it's "good" good.
  • MBauer17
    Offline / Send Message
    MBauer17 greentooth
    Definitely. The original took a whole day. The remake took an hour. I'm realizing now as I'm older that talent only takes me so far. I am intent on practicing every day. Learning to use new programs and build my cart of skills to go beyond just photoshop while still maintaining some semblance of basic fundamentals. 
  • Chidambhar_Swaroop
    Offline / Send Message
    Chidambhar_Swaroop polycounter lvl 2
    The Conclusion is "There is no End"....