Home Technical Talk

PixaFlux - PBR Texture Composer - Open Beta Testing

polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
pixaeiro polycounter lvl 8
Hello,

We're happy to announce a new Beta version of PixaFlux.

For the past 6 months we have been upgrading PixaFlux from a node based image editor into a powerful PBR Texture Composer.

These are some of the features we have added recently:

* PBR Viewport (Albedo Normal Roughness Metalness Occlusion) with direct and ambient illumination.
* Native support and tools for normal images. (Convert Modify Blend)
* New nodes for normal image sculpting. (Relief Grow Shrink Relax)

These are some of the node based image editor features:

* Parametric Non Destructive Workflow with super fast iteration.
* Image's size, position and pixel format can vary as it flows through the node graph.
* Combine raster and vector images on the same node graph
* Image Deformation.

And this is our next milestone:

* Share shapes among multiple nodes.

If you are interested in helping us Beta Test PixaFlux please download the latest version from our website. Please send us your comments and feedback. For more information about PixaFlux visit the wiki or watch our videos on YouTube.

We'll keep posting news and releases on this thread.

PixaFlux.com YouTube Google+ Facebook Twitter

Thank you!

Replies

• pixaeiro
    Offline / Send Message
    Hello,

We have just uploaded a new PixaFlux Beta Version (2016-02-14) with many new features:

- Create nodes with right click in the graph viewport.
    - Create nodes just clicking the nodes menu icons.
    - Zoom Frame in Model Viewport.

A few bug fixes:

- Blend Normal and Mix Normal enlarge output image to include all inputs.
    - Fixes a bug with the logging system.
    We have also uploaded three new video tutorials to YouTube.
    Special thanks to jpb06, Zenitor and myclay for suggesting new features!
  • pixaeiro
    Offline / Send Message
    Hello,

We have just uploaded a new PixaFlux Beta Version (2016-04-05) with many new features.

In this release we provide more PBR texture composition tools to simulate manipulating real world elements, keeping all PBR textures in sync:

New Nodes:
    Stretch Node with multiple one to one input - output.

New Node Features:
    Color Range node with multiple outputs.
    Mix Node with Minimum, Maximum and Multiply mix methods.
    External Node with multi output support.
    Transform Node with multiple one to one input - output.
    Resize Node with multiple one to one input - output.
    Linear Array Node with multiple one to one input - output.
    Reframe Node with multiple one to one input - output

Tech:
    Read and Write support for TGA images.

User Interface:
    Drag and Drop OBJ files into the Node Graph viewport.
    Double click connections to set Active and Display node.
    Node Graph Frames.

YouTube video with new release features.

Thank you!
  • pixaeiro
    Offline / Send Message
    Hello,

There is a new PixaFlux release (2016-04-23).

For this release we have continued improving the texture compositing features of PixaFlux, focusing on the concept of texture elements.

New Nodes
    Offset Node with multiple one to one input - output.

New Node Features
    Flip Node with multiple one to one input - output.
    Align Node with multiple one to one input - output.
    Perspective Node with multiple one to one input - output.
    Stretch Node manipulator resize.

User Interface
    File > New > New PBR Project
    Model to Display: Box - Sphere - Cylinder.
    Hold down shift to prevent autoconnect.

Thank you for all your feedback. For the next release we'll continue working on the texture compositing features of PixaFlux.

• Quack!
    Offline / Send Message
    Quack! polycounter lvl 17
    This is looking very promising! I'll grab it when I get off work and test it out.
  • pixaeiro
    Offline / Send Message
    Hello,

There is a new PixaFlux release (2016-06-08).

For this release we have continued working on the texture compositing features of PixaFlux.

New Node Features
    Modify Normal Node with rotate normal.
    Shape Node with numeric input for Bezier knots and handles.
    Blur Node with multiple one to one input - output.

New Nodes
    Colorize Node.

Thank you for all your feedback. For the next release we'll continue working on the texture compositing features of PixaFlux.
  • pixaeiro
    Offline / Send Message
    Hello,

There is a new PixaFlux release (2016-12-20).

Since the last post we have added a lot of new nodes and tools:
    https://youtu.be/HPxAdr8acdI

For the next release we're working on more nodes to bake multiple geometry properties to images and masks to use in your texture compositions.

We are always open to questions and suggestions.

Thank you!
  • pixaeiro
    Offline / Send Message
    Hello,

There is a new PixaFlux release (2017-01-15).

We have a new exciting node that bakes a normal map that softens the hard edges of your models!

https://youtu.be/G7-h3Teon5I

This is the list of new features.

New Nodes

• Mesh Smooth Normal.
    • Texture Gradient.

New Features

• Viewport Model Debug Shader.
    • Gradient Editor in Gradient node and Gradient Map node.
    We are always open to questions and suggestions.

Thank you!
  • gnoop
    Offline / Send Message
    gnoop polycounter
    Very promising indeed . Some things are better than  their Substance Designer  analogs .     I don't like transform gizmo.  Although it allows to  set center of  scaling precisely in a random chosen place, while Substance Designer doesn't at all , the scaling itself within  that tiny gizmo is very inconvenient.   Would be nice to have a hybrid of Transform and Resize node or just Resize one with an adjustable  center to resize around.

Also please, borrow node approach from Blender ,  node groups and bypass M button
  • pixaeiro
    Offline / Send Message
    Hello gnoop!

Thank you for testing PixaFlux! We have always been considering improving the Transform gizmo to something like a bounding box the size of the image, with 9 points that you can drag, and each point has its own action (translate, rotate, scale). We'll probably implement it soon!

What do you mean with "borrow node approach from Blender ,  node groups and bypass M button"?

Thank you!
  • gnoop
    Offline / Send Message
    gnoop polycounter
    Yes, node groups and M are super cool, also an ability to auto-connect nodes and use  Blender hot keys. I also like how I shouldn't care of color vs grayscale inputs.  Blender recognizes the right one by itself .
      As for 9 points I rather need an ability to scale bitmaps around precisely placed center of transform , like Photoshop with scale input fields.
  • pior
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Hello -

The smoothing node seems very interesting (could be a nice time saver !) but the model loader doesn't seem to load hard edges/smoothing group properly, thus making the node not usable. Here is a comparison with what Autodesk FBXViewer displays for the same OBJ test model :

Some notes on small details : 

- No need to make the [+] button of the 3d viewport window right-clickable, this is confusing since [+] elements are usually universally left clickable. I kept trying to left click on it and had to look up the help files just to understand how to interact with this button and that obviously should not be the case.
    - The Select buttons for light direction in the viewport options don't seem to function.
    - The 3d viewport should be open by default.
    - There are some improvements to be made for node manipulation/linking. At the moment clicking and dragging things is quite finicky because it is hard to tell what is clickable and what is not.
    - The 3d viewport should support hdri images.
    - Pease do not make the camera "jump" when rotating the camera around and above the model. Adopt the universally accepted Maya viewport controls and behavior instead.

Good luck !

[Edit] Ha actually, checking out the box and rod example seems to show that hard edges are actually not required for the smoothing node, since the box shows up like this in FBXViewer :

Maybe this is all 100% relying on UV islands instead ?
  • pixaeiro
    Offline / Send Message
    gnoop said:
    Yes, node groups and M are super cool, also an ability to auto-connect nodes and use  Blender hot keys. I also like how I shouldn't care of color vs grayscale inputs.  Blender recognizes the right one by itself .
      As for 9 points I rather need an ability to scale bitmaps around precisely placed center of transform , like Photoshop with scale input fields.

Thank you for your suggestions gnoop!

Currently in PixaFlux all nodes support only image for input type, but the nodes have an internal policy of what to do if two input images have a different type. For example, if you mix a RGB and a Mono image, the Mono image is mixed as an RGB image.

Yes, something like the Photoshop manipulator is what we're developing now!
  • pixaeiro
    Offline / Send Message
    pior said:

The smoothing node seems very interesting (could be a nice time saver !) but the model loader doesn't seem to load hard edges/smoothing group properly, thus making the node not usable. Here is a comparison with what Autodesk FBXViewer displays for the same OBJ test model :
    Hello pior,

It seems to me that FBX Review doesn't support OBJ smoothing groups. If you open the box.obj file in a text editor, you'll notice that it doesn't have a vn (vertex normals) list, an in the faces list you'll see the 's (number)' lines indicating the smoothing groups. PixaFlux support both, vertex normals and smoothing groups, but it's possible that by mistake the vertex normals right now are somehow linked to the UV mesh in our 3D mesh library... We'll check!

We'll do some extra tests with vertex normals and come back to you!

About your suggestions... They all make a lot of sense, thank you.. We'll try to implement some of them for the next release (some others, like HDRI and the maya orbit are a little bit harder and would take a bit longer to develop!).

Thank you for your suggestions
  • pior
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Sorry, I should I been more clear - I meant "smoothing groups" in the colloquial sense. What I meant by that was "edges set to hard", or put differently, vertex normals split up in such a way that makes the edges appear hard. I actually had no idea that the OBJ format made a distinction between these. Aren't you talking about face IDs instead ?

The best is to tackle the topic the other way around, without using jargon... so basically : An edge that is definitely set to hard, may appear soft in Pixaflux. Now that might actually be irrelevant if the goal of the Ixaflux smooth node is to only operate on UV islands. BUT if it is also supposed to operate on hard edges, then yeah there is a bug since the loader definitely skips them.

Now all that said ... Since any hard edge on a normalmapped model also needs to be split in the UVs (and I did so on my example) ... there might be another issue at hand here, since some of my hard edges (which also had their UVs split) appeared as soft.

So all things considered that's a bit of a multifaceted issue. I hope this helps !
  • pixaeiro
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, the OBJ format supports only two types of hard/soft edges, directly through vertex normals, and through smoothing groups. As far as I know, hard/soft edges are converted by the exporter to vertex normals, and from how the model looks in FBX Review, the vertex normals were exported correctly, and we should see something similar in PixaFlux!

Could you please send me your model, or some other model with the same issue? I would like to understand what's going on to fix the issue.

Thank you!!

• pixaeiro
    Offline / Send Message
    Hello,

There is a new PixaFlux release (2017-02-20).

For this new release we improved the Transform Manipulator, and added a new Stamp node that clones and transforms multiple texture elements.

https://youtu.be/9UMbZrnplMQ

These are the new nodes and features in (2017-02-20)

New Nodes

Stamp Node.
    - Billow Noise Node.
    - Ridge Multi Noise Node.
    - Voronoi Noise Node.
    - Random Noise Node.

New Features

Transform Frame Manipulator.
    - Blur Node with seamless boundary condition.

We also implemented many of your suggestions: The model viewport remembers its last session position and size. Left click on the [+] button in the model viewport opens the settings window.

Thank you!

• pixaeiro
    Offline / Send Message
    Hello,

There is a new PixaFlux release (2017-04-06).

For this new release we added two new nodes that bake curvature maps: Normal Curvature and Mesh Curvature.

Many thanks to Dimitri for suggesting the Mesh Curvature node and workflow.

Thank you!
  • pixaeiro
    Offline / Send Message
    Hello,

There is a new PixaFlux release (2017-06-15).

In this release we're introducing a new VALUE color mode. The VALUE color mode is similar to monochromatic, but the pixel values can be any real number, including negative values. This color mode allows you to build more organic compositions by creating, modifying and mixing images as if they were elevation or height maps.

With this release we're also adding new VALUE nodes:
    Generate: Waves, Ellipsoid, Cylinder.
    Modify: Add, Multiply, Minumum, Maximum, Absolute, Condition.

We've uploaded a new video tutorial to YouTube:

Please let us know if you have any comments, questions or suggestions here or in our new PixaFlux Freshdesk support page.
    Thank you!
  • pixaeiro
    Offline / Send Message
    Hello,

There is a new PixaFlux release (2017-07-26).

In this release we're introducing the Curve Sculpt node, which generates height, normal and mask images from Bezier Curves.

With this release we're also adding a new Value Compare node to simplify compositions with the VALUE image color mode.

We've also uploaded a new Curve Sculpt video tutorial to YouTube:

https://youtu.be/VSN3oYwinG8

Please let us know if you have any comments, questions or suggestions here or in our new PixaFlux Freshdesk support page.
    Thank you!
    PixaFlux
  • RealityFix
    Offline / Send Message
    RealityFix polycounter lvl 5
    This is a really cool app. Any plans on trying to integrate it with anything? Like putting it into something like blender or creating a plugin to switch between this and another app?
  • pixaeiro
    Offline / Send Message
    This is a really cool app. Any plans on trying to integrate it with anything? Like putting it into something like blender or creating a plugin to switch between this and another app?

Hello RealityFix,
    Yes, we have plans to integrate PixaFlux on game engines and 3D applications like 3dsmax or Maya, but these are long-term plans. In the near future we'll focus on providing more compositing tools and nodes, and simplifying the current workflow.
    Thank you for your interest!

• RealityFix
    Offline / Send Message
    pixaeiro said:

Hello RealityFix,
    Yes, we have plans to integrate PixaFlux on game engines and 3D applications like 3dsmax or Maya, but these are long-term plans. In the near future we'll focus on providing more compositing tools and nodes, and simplifying the current workflow.
    Thank you for your interest!

Thanks for the reply! If you can, maybe just make something like Goz to send models into and out of the app as a quick workflow boost? Good luck on the project though, I really like the idea behind it.
  • gnoop
    Offline / Send Message
    gnoop polycounter
    The soft is very promising  and has a few cool tools I asked Allegorithmic  for years and they never delivered   but at the same time works pretty slow and unresponsive with anything complex and hi res.    I wonder  could it be possible to have it all working on GPU?      Considering how complex modern shaders are now, being constructed from mostly similar  math calculations, I wonder why we don't see completely GPU based image editor/composer  working with a speed of light?  I would tolerate a few sacrifices if necessary.
  • pixaeiro
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the reply! If you can, maybe just make something like Goz to send models into and out of the app as a quick workflow boost? Good luck on the project though, I really like the idea behind it.
    Hello RealityFix,
    We'll think about it. This is a really good idea but it might require a lot of time and resources.
    Thank you!
  • pixaeiro
    Offline / Send Message
    gnoop said:
    The soft is very promising  and has a few cool tools I asked Allegorithmic  for years and they never delivered   but at the same time works pretty slow and unresponsive with anything complex and hi res.    I wonder  could it be possible to have it all working on GPU?      Considering how complex modern shaders are now, being constructed from mostly similar  math calculations, I wonder why we don't see completely GPU based image editor/composer  working with a speed of light?  I would tolerate a few sacrifices if necessary.
    Hello gnoop,
    Thank you for your comments and feedback. We have done some research on how to use the GPU and OpenCL for image processing, but we haven't implemented anything in PixaFlux yet. We know this would be a great improvement, and we'll start identifying the most common processes and porting them to OpenCL. We're working on a new set of nodes for the next release, and as soon as we finish that we'll start porting some of the nodes and common processes to OpenCL.
    Best Regards!
  • RealityFix
    Offline / Send Message
    Awesome! Good luck again, really would like to see this app succeed.
  • pixaeiro
    Offline / Send Message
    Hello,

There is a new PixaFlux release (2017-09-17).

In this release we're introducing the Common Tiles node, which generates seamless tile textures from multiple image inputs.

We've also uploaded a new Common Tiles video tutorial to YouTube:

Thank you!
    PixaFlux
  • pixaeiro
    Offline / Send Message
    Hello,

There is a new PixaFlux release (2017-12-12).

In this release we're introducing the Zig Zag Tiles node, which generates seamless zig zag tile textures from multiple image inputs.

We've also uploaded a new Common Tiles video tutorial to YouTube:

https://youtu.be/A3u9aWtBL8U

We're also announcing our first contest: PBR Texturing with PixaFlux. You can participate for a chance to win US$100.oo.

Thank you!
    PixaFlux

• fatihG_
    Offline / Send Message
    fatihG_ polycounter lvl 14
    Sweet, the mesh smooth normal node looked petty interesting! Gave it a quick go an it works pretty good.
    The issue Pior had at first i also ran into. After disabling smoothing groups and only enabling vertex normals in maya's OBJ export I got it to import the model like it displayed maya.

Ill play around with it some more and make note of things I'd want to see improve when i got more hands on time with this tool.

Also quick one, when installing this Windows gave me a warning about unknown publisher and what not... i'd try to resolve asap imo.
  • fatihG_
    Offline / Send Message
    Did some testing with this tool, mainly for the smooth normals option.

So far I can see 2 major problems with PixaFlux when it comes to normals.

First of all it is in only 8bit. I couldnt find any options to generate 16bit images out of pixaflux. This is an issue as it will cause banding/stepping.
    http://polycount.com/discussion/148303/of-bit-depths-banding-and-normal-maps/p1
    if generating 16bit in Pixaflux is too heavy/takes too long, etc. Please consider having the previews be 8bit, and have an option to export at 16bit as a tickbox or something in the Writer node.
    For now to get something without the banding artefacts I manually introduce some noise to emulate dithering.
    I basically create a perlin noise > render2d texture> Mix Normals. Would be nice if something like this could be a tickbox in the SmoothNormals node.

Secondly.. it doesnt look like you are using mikktspace for the tangent basis? Now I am not 100% sure on this, but that fact that I found an old post by you on the blenderartist forums where you mentioned that you had no idea with mikktspace is, worries me.

Ive added an example image of the issues i encountered with my quick test.

1. My low poly object. This is what I load into PixaFlux.

2. The same model with an Smooth Normals generates from PixaFlux and converted in PixaFlux, using 3 Mesh Normal Angle nodes (for X Y and Z direction) and a join Channels node. (quick not: would be great to have a single node to switch from TSN to OSN or vice versa)
    Notice the vertical lines on the bottom part of the cilinder. I believe this is an 8bit depth issue.

3. Same model, with a Smooth Normals from PixaFlux as the default TSN. The same artefacts as the OSN.

4. There are normal map seams on the TSN version  of the model. This is wat makes me think it is not calibrated with mikktspace.

5. The banding artefacts (cause of 8bit?) are in the model viewer in Pixaflux as well.

6. The generated smooth normals from PixaFlux, with the contrast increased, to show all the artefacts better.

7. An OSN out of pixaflux, with the contrast increased as well.
  • poopipe
    Offline / Send Message
    poopipe grand marshal polycounter
    If it isn't baking then tangent basis doesn't come into it..

• fatihG_
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey @poopipe

I understand what you are saying.
    However I remember Handplanes OSN to TSN tool allowed you to select tangent engine.
    And this only had the OSN and the low poly. 

The OSN I exported doesnt have the seams btw.

From what I assume of PixaFlux, is that it does most of the calculations as OSN and outputs a TSN.
    So somewhere along the line it is converting stuff. 
  • Bumblebee
    Offline / Send Message
    Bumblebee polycounter lvl 3
    I wish you guys put more emphasis on the mesh smooth node. I Like it alot. Im trying it out on more complex stuff atm.

• poopipe
    Offline / Send Message
    poopipe grand marshal polycounter
    Yeah, you're right..  it'll need a tangent basis for that sort of conversion. 

• pixaeiro
    Offline / Send Message
    Hello Guys,

Thank you for testing PixaFlux, your suggestions and comments are extremely important for us.

fatihG_ said:
    First of all it is in only 8bit. I couldnt find any options to generate 16bit images out of pixaflux. This is an issue as it will cause banding/stepping.
    Internally PixaFlux works with float 32 bits per channel. When the images are exported they are converted to 8 bits per channels. We can add a new image exporter that support 16 or 32 bits per channel. Do you know what file formats would be best suited for this? OpenEXR?
    fatihG_ said:
    For now to get something without the banding artefacts I manually introduce some noise to emulate dithering.
    I basically create a perlin noise > render2d texture> Mix Normals. Would be nice if something like this could be a tickbox in the SmoothNormals node.
    That would be possible but we rather try first the other two issues (tangent space and image export).
    fatihG_ said:
    Secondly.. it doesnt look like you are using mikktspace for the tangent basis? Now I am not 100% sure on this, but that fact that I found an old post by you on the blenderartist forums where you mentioned that you had no idea with mikktspace is, worries me.
    No, PixaFlux is not using mikktspace for the tangent basis. We've been reading the paper and source code and we can implement this feature too.
    fatihG_ said:
     (quick not: would be great to have a single node to switch from TSN to OSN or vice versa)
    Yes, great idea.
    poopipe said:
    If it isn't baking then tangent basis doesn't come into it..
    PixaFlux is indeed baking the normals generated by the smooth normals algorithm.
    Bumblebee said:
    I wish you guys put more emphasis on the mesh smooth node. I Like it alot. Im trying it out on more complex stuff atm.
    Sure... do you have any suggestions? Right now we're finishing a new hard edges tool that can generate small chamfers around the hard edges of the model, which also simulate very cleanly a smoother edge. This node works with the mesh topology so there are no accidental leaking of normals on very tight spaces.

Thank you again for all your comments!
    PixaFlux
  • pixaeiro
    Offline / Send Message
    Hello,

There is a new PixaFlux release (2019-02-02).

Since the last time I posted on this forum we have implemented a ton of stuff:

Major New Feature
    •     Custom reusable nodes. Create your own nodes.
    New Features
    •     Support for Mikktspace uv tangents and binormals
    •     Save TIFF and PNG 16 bits per channel images
    •     Support for Fbx 3d models with hierarchy
    •     Support for Obj files with more than one object
    •     Improved Mesh Surface Curvature
    •     Improved Normal Curvature
    •     Gradient nodes support images as gradients.   
    •     Attributes are inputs and can be shared between nodes.

New Nodes
    •     Blobs Noise node
    •     Distance image node
    •     Value Clamp node
    •     Blobs 3D Texture node
    •     Greeble 3D Texture node
    •     Point Sample Image node.
    •     Curve Sample Image node.
    •     Mesh Hard Edges node.
    •     New Boolean, Point and Rgbo math nodes.
    •     New Node values: boolean, number, point, frame, rgbo, string, image, texture, curves.
    •     Mathematics and Geometry nodes.

These are a few images rendered with the new curvature node release:

And these is a new tutorial for sculpting normals with the new Distance node:

Thank you everybody for your support!

• melviso
    Offline / Send Message
    melviso polycounter lvl 10
    Anyone tried this software? Just wanted to give it a spin out of curiosity.

@pixaeiro The latest version isn't opening. It just crashes. 
    @der Noticed u use pixaflux, have u had this issue with the app not opening and crashing?
  • melviso
    Offline / Send Message
    melviso polycounter lvl 10
    Older versions doesn't work. Last known version that seems to open fine without crashing  from the version release history here is 
    2020 03 22 - Revision 0.0.0.3238
    http://pixaflux.com/history.php
    Seems the vulkan engine was incorporated into the next release moving forward. Do I need to install vulkan sdk or something like that?

• pixaeiro
    Offline / Send Message
    Hello Melviso.
    Yes, PixaFlux now initializes a Vulkan device at start-up, and we've received reports that on some graphic cards it fails to initialize and crashes.
    We fixed recently a similar issue that was crashing on error logging, and could be the cause of this crash you experience. Could you please try again.
    Thank you for testing!
  • pixaeiro
    Offline / Send Message
    Hello,

We've added a new node to PixaFlux that generates sprites with shape and color, and renders complex parametric multi-texture images. The sprite creation is executed by a very simple but powerful Lua script that connects nodes with functions and values to generate complex patterns.

PixaFlux's Sprite It node.

This is one of the included texture scripts.

We've also added a new tutorial that shows how to generate this simple texture:

Sprite It Tutorial Dots

In the following weeks we'll be adding more noise patterns, pbr material textures and tutorials.

Thank you!