Home Career & Education

Selling digital assets as main income?

Armantium
null
You see these various online stores like Unreal Engine 4 marketplaces, Unity asset store, Turbosquid, etc.etc.

Would you be able to make a substantial amount of money(at least $50k a year) if you did this full time?

I have no way to gauge the profitability of this venture. For example, this Russian guy has good stuff, but most of it is a decade old.

So, does that mean that the models still sell or that it's just a failed remnant still present on the site?

Replies

• EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If you put full time effort into it, you could probably earn a living. There are a number of variables though. You need to make sure what you're offering is better/cheaper/more interesting or all of the above than what is currently on the market to see decent sales. Generally packs of things sell well so rather than modeling an AK47 and putting it on turbosquid, model a pack of realistic weapons.

I think the real key is that you need to be able to create high quality content very quickly - the more content you have the more you can hedge your bets on what will sell well. From your other thread it seems like you're just starting to get into this field, if that's the case I would suggest that you don't worry about putting assets on these sort of marketplaces and focus on learning how to make good art first.
  • Armantium
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Armantium null
    Do you know of any such digital asset store that also lists how many of the items were sold?
    That would be instructive on the quality of work, nature of the item, and actual profitability.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    No, that information is not generally available. You can check "top sellers" lists and such to see which content tends to do well.
  • throttlekitty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I know a couple people who do this as a full time job, they don't really talk money other than to say that it's totally sustainable and that they do normal workdays. I was thinking about it for a while. Turbosquid shares trending and search info with vendors depending on tier, I believe. Quality is important, the group I'm with now uses plenty of licensed assets to save time, I'll just ballpark that we've returned close to half for various reasons.

From what I've seen, there's 2 major strategies: Have a broad catalog and kick assets out quickly like EQ says, or be a niche artist and serve that niche well. Everyone is going to need a wooden chair at some point, it's just a matter of having the one that a customer buys that day. Maybe you're the one person selling a cannibal-themed chair and you've managed to sell enough to try and find out who's buying, why, and do they want more of the same?
  • heartlessph1l
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    heartlessph1l vertex
    Imo it's very hard to make a living from selling assets :smile:

1- Piracy is everywhere. Everything ends up on cgpeers which sucks big time for content creator
    2- There are already a TON of completely free assets everywhere. You know ''freebies''!
    3- It takes a lot of skill to make a finished product that is sellable. Want to make a weapon? Then you're gonna need to be able to model it, rig it, animate it, texture it, make sounds and effects to even  compete with what's already for sale on most marketplace. It's so much work man.
    4- Tricky part is to create something that people need. But you can never be sure that what you create is exactly what people are going to need. (vs bespoke stuff).

Sorry if I sound negative but I've explored the idea of selling stuff on turbo or cgtrader myself and quickly realized it's not worth it! I'm pretty sure that big sellers with quality assets and large catalog are small or medium team with more ressources aka dedicated animator, rigger, texturer, modeler etc. Doing everything and quickly is impossible for 1 human.
  • Zack Maxwell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zack Maxwell interpolator
     I don't know about cgtrader, but turbosquid  is an absolute dumpster fire.
     Better market places, like Unity/UE4, would have given you much better results.
  • heartlessph1l
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    heartlessph1l vertex
    Maybe but all my points are valid for ue4/unity marketplace too. I know a very talented creator that was struggling with piracy (he had his own online asset store). Almost to the point he had to stop making content. :-(   Ue4 marketplace content is everywhere on piracy sites. Make a couple sale and a bazzilion others will snatch it for free. Sucks big time and there's nothing you can do about it!
  • Bedrock
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bedrock polycounter lvl 10
    The cgtrader dudes posted this here actually. Might be a good starting point for you maybe?

• Jonas Ronnegard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jonas Ronnegard polycount sponsor
    I`d say don`t try to do this full time before you know you have the skill to make the stuff you are making the most good looking and usable in that category.

Just start of making stuff on the side of your day job, and when you feel you have a good day to day sale ratio that is able to support you go full time.

I know a couple of people that sell assets full time, so it`s totally possible, but what they all have in common is that they are top artists.
  • musashidan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    musashidan high dynamic range
    I've seen some absolute rubbish(basically primitives jamed together) up for sale in places. I've seen scandalously priced and very average assets on Turbosquid. And I've seen top quality stuff going cheap. It depends where and who's looking.

If you haven't got the experience I would say don't focus  on the game asset market. It's probably
     the sector with the most consistently priced,  and of the most consistent quality, comparitively.

The reason being is that most assets can be seen from all angles and up close. VFX assets on the other hand could just be scene fillers, background props, only be seen from a certain distance/camera angle, and might not even need unwrapping. 

On the other hand, all game assets generally need to go through the full pipeline and be delivered unwrapped/textured and/or rigged. Not to mention ready to just pop straight in-engine effortlessly.

Offline assets are much, much more forgiving, for reasons mentioned above. VFX hero assets will always be custom built directly by the studio or studio freelance/outsource) 

As for the piracy thing, it is definitely off putting. But it's a fact of life. I have well over a hundred free tutorials on my YT channel and a couple of dirt cheap tuts on Gumroad. I recently noticed my paid tuts on P2P sites and it was disheartening. Cheap motherf**kers won't even pay a few dollars. It's rampant but, what can you do? I haven't made a tut, free or otherwise, in months and this was partly the reason. The amount of time and effort that can go into producing tuts is surely worth less than the price of a coffee? 
  • Armantium
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Armantium null
    LOL, you've completely dissuaded me from pursuing this. Maybe later when my project is finished and I dump the assets.
  • musashidan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    musashidan high dynamic range
    Sorry mate but them there be the cold, hard facts. :)
  • Jonas Ronnegard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jonas Ronnegard polycount sponsor
    The facts shouldn't dissuade you, it's more about that you should pace yourself, just as with any kind of business you want to minimize your risks, so just do it on the side until you see a pattern where if you put in more time you would be making enough to make a living.
  • YannickStoot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    YannickStoot polycounter lvl 3
    Bedrock said:
    The cgtrader dudes posted this here actually. Might be a good starting point for you maybe?
    Wow thanks! Was looking for something like this!

OT: I have nothing encouraging to add to what has already been said. I'm trying this right now and I can only tell you that it is hard!
  • sacboi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sacboi high dynamic range

OT: Not only leveraging game ready assets trying too eke out a living, but there are also nowadays a ton of other avenues 3D Artists are exploiting:

3D Artists Making Money On The Side...

• SpaceRogue
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SpaceRogue polycounter lvl 3
    What about DAZ and Poser tho, its a niche that seems fairly forgiving.