Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

UE4 Environment - Reactor Room

polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
Twixxo polycounter lvl 4
First environment attempt in UE4. Could always add more detail but I'd like to move on to the next project! C&c welcome!

Software used: Maya, Substance Painter, Unreal 4, PhotoShop

ArtStation

Replies

• JLeeD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JLeeD polycounter lvl 3
    Hey! Cool environment! You've got some really strong models in there, but my main crit is that your lighting needs a lot of work. You see the areas which are completely black? Those are bad, as well as the blown out lights. Dinusty explains it pretty well in some of his crit vids, https://youtu.be/2By7sbFG3ak around 3 minutes in he uses a technique in photoshop which shows you all the total black and total white areas and explains why its not a good idea.
    There's a lot in this environment which is getting really let down by your lighting. Spending a good chunk of time to use this project to learn the basics of lighting, atmosphere and mood may be a good idea. 
    Hope that helps! :)
  • Maximum-Dev
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Modeling and materials seem to be nice. Honestly I hardly can see what's going on there due to the contrast and clipping. (Which again might be just coming from your Filmic Tonemapper settings) so lighting in general is what you gotta work on before you can take any feedback or other aspects of the work.
  • Twixxo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Twixxo polycounter lvl 4
    Thanks for the critique! I added and changed some lights, as well as removed my LUT. I figure once I improve the lighting, I'll redo the color grading. How does this look?

• JLHGameArt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JLHGameArt greentooth
    Glaring issue I see here is your emissive is cranked up way too high on the green and white neon's. They're white hot for the most part, and it's distracting. You can afford to be much more subtle wish electric emissive lights like that. Check out how they did the lighting in Doom (2016) https://www.artstation.com/artwork/6XPXV 
    Also check this out.

Notice how the lighting draws attention to the focal point of the room, it's the brightest spit, and it's not blowing it out, it's just bright enough to show off the metal and draw the eye of the player, while the rest of the area is lit so you know it's there and you can go there after you have checked out the console in the middle. Nice variation in colour as well. So my advice would be to vary the intensity of your emissive materials instead of having them all cranked to 20, and use your lighting to draw attention to the interesting parts of the environment. You don't need that crazy glow around everything.

• Twixxo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Twixxo polycounter lvl 4
    Adjusted the emissive and added a few more crates. I used a multiply and constant node to multiply the emissives by 0.2 - 0.3. I also experimented with the emissive intensity in Substance Painter, but it seems no matter what that is set to it will appear as intense as ever.

As of posting this reply, I realize I forgot to adjust the stair light intensity, though it seems minor. How are the results so far?

• ScriptingError
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ScriptingError polycounter lvl 5
    It looks awesome! I'm only a novice, but I think the lighting looks much better. How long has it taken you to construct the scene so far?
  • Twixxo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Twixxo polycounter lvl 4
    Took a couple months! A lot of the time was learning things with Unreal and lightmaps, though.
  • jth852
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jth852 polycounter lvl 2
    Hey it looks really good. UE4 is hard to get used to there are a lot of things to learn, especially with lighting (I'm in the process of trying to learn it as well)
    I would say that The quality of lighting might be helped by the actually placement of the models of the lights.  They all seem to be placed very high and the light seems to be focused on whats high up, while in a lot of industrial environments, lights are focused on the floor where people walk and on things people interact with.  Other than that I think it looks really cool i love the layout and the core area below ground with the glowing greens.
  • ajr2764
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ajr2764 polycounter lvl 10
    Nice work. I think the lighting still needs more work, there are alot of pitch black areas in those shots. The wall panels have a noticeable tiling pattern with the dirt. I also think you should add some more detail to those flat wall panels. Nice size space looks like a interesting area for some gameplay.