Home Technical Talk

Where does photoshop fit into a production pipeline?

null
Offline / Send Message
Decoding null
Substance Painter is pretty amazing and I have been using it for awhile now, however I have still not learned photoshop. I'm curious to why photoshop is considered an industry standard software and by extension I want to know what is the go to software for making stylized textures for "unique assets". Is photoshop only used for making tilables and is just a bad option for unique textures?

Replies

• Prime8
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Prime8 interpolator
    It`s use to add awesome lens flare to presentation images and sometimes other cool effects.

No, you can do any kind of texturing with Photoshop, why do you think everyone is using Substance Painter?
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    PBR assets ("realistic" or "stylized") can very well be textured completely in Photoshop, without touching a single bit of Substance or Quixel.

They don't have to be. But they can be. And in some cases it's faster, in others it's slower.
  • Amsterdam Hilton Hotel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Amsterdam Hilton Hotel insane polycounter
    Doesn't have all that much to do with whether a texture is tiling or unique. Textures are just images. For a long long time Photoshop was the best available image editor for our needs. Besides painting directly onto an image or manipulaitng photos into a texture it allows you to do a lot of automation by clever use of patterns, masks, adjustment layers, smart objects, etc.

Substance has been around a while but it's fair to say that it started taking over in AAA two or three years ago, when they released Painter and started evangelizing hard, touring studios and pitching it. Despite the hype it really is objectively better than Photoshop for our purposes when you consider Designer and Painter as two halves of one program. Photoshop and Substance files both work as node networks but the key difference is that Photoshop's nodes (called layers) have to be assembled linearly (a stack) whereas Substance allows for nonlinear node combinations. You can have one node that directly feeds into many others across different outputs (albedo, gloss, normal, etc. all being updated simultaneously). This is much harder to achieve in Photoshop because of the linear node order. You end up having to use smart objects and clipping masks to propagate changes through different groups, or else you end up having to manually copy masks and layers between groups... it's just nowhere near as convenient.

Adobe doesn't care about game use because their market is so big and there's no indication that they ever plan to change this fundamental aspect of Photoshop. So, if you don't already use it, I would honestly recommend you stick to Substance as your main texturing tool (and learn both Designer and Painter). It's still useful to know Photoshop for image editing or as a backup, and people that know it well can still compete with Substance users in terms of quality, but it's basically got a handicap.
  • JordanN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JordanN interpolator
    The only "obsolete" function I've observed with Photoshop is when you're texturing, you're looking at a separate program and not the main model for where the textures belong.

Of course, this can be easily remedied by having a 3D modeling software/game engine open and sync your photoshop files with that of the material editor so everything updates rapidly. But depending on your computer, this may be either super slow or buggy.

Before when I textured in Photoshop only, without looking at my 3D model I felt like it was easy to get your scale wrong. So something you might realize a brick wall texture has very large bricks when it should in fact be smaller but if you were painting directly on a model, those issues get caught immediately. And if you're working at very low resolution (like 64 x 64. Talking retro game development here!) you also have to watch out for uv islands bleeding into each other. 

• Scriptorium
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Scriptorium polycounter lvl 3
    Also, a lot of people use Photoshop to remove any existing artifacts in Normal/Height or essentially any kind of texture after exporting them from Substance or a similar program.
  • Prime8
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Prime8 interpolator
    Also, a lot of people use Photoshop to remove any existing artifacts in Normal/Height or essentially any kind of texture after exporting them from Substance or a similar program.
    Wouldn't recommend to edit either of the maps this way.pior said:
    PBR assets ("realistic" or "stylized") can very well be textured completely in Photoshop, without touching a single bit of Substance or Quixel.

They don't have to be. But they can be. And in some cases it's faster, in others it's slower.
    In addition Quixel is only a Photoshop plugin.
  • myclay
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    myclay polycounter lvl 10
    3DCoat can be a good solution for painting stylized textures.

You could also give a look into Affinity Photo.

I use Affinity Photo to quickly turn Vectorshapes, Brush strokes
    or Text on curves into Normal/Height maps for further usage in Substance Painter.

• Obscura
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Obscura grand marshal polycounter
    Editing normals maps in ps should be forbidden and punished. Whenever you attempt to open up a normal map, there should be a popup message saying "NO"... Or it should run some make seam macro so you don't do it.
  • marks
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    marks greentooth
     It's still useful to know Photoshop for image editing or as a backup, and people that know it well can still compete with Substance users in terms of quality, but it's basically got a handicap.
    Just to expand on this, there are a ton of areas where Photoshop is still much more effective than the Substance toolset. Anything involving text/typography, graphic design or similar applications you are probably going to get a ton of mileage out of Photoshop still for a good few years yet.  
  • Kyetja
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kyetja polycounter lvl 7
    We tend to use photoshop a lot to do minor tweaks on existing assets, i.e. a rock was made that is way too shiny, the Substance file of it can't be found quickly so we quickly tweak it in photoshop. In some cases making patterns for Substance Designer or Alpha's can also be easier in Photoshop.
  • thomasp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    i would feel really restricted if i had to just stick with a 3D painter and their usual quite confining interfaces and functionality. i use those for sure but always in conjunction with a 2D image editor and most of the crucial tweaking goes on in the latter.
    kinda mind blowing to hear about people not knowing why to use photoshop or similar in this line of work. what kind of textures are we talking here - tiles? could not imagine completing a character entirely in 3D.

oh and i also use the smudge finger to smear around in normal maps, displacement, whatever. all the time - and with pride! :p
  • Amsterdam Hilton Hotel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Amsterdam Hilton Hotel insane polycounter
    marks said:
     It's still useful to know Photoshop for image editing or as a backup, and people that know it well can still compete with Substance users in terms of quality, but it's basically got a handicap.
    Just to expand on this, there are a ton of areas where Photoshop is still much more effective than the Substance toolset. Anything involving text/typography, graphic design or similar applications you are probably going to get a ton of mileage out of Photoshop still for a good few years yet.  
    Great point, I forgot about this when originally posting. Anything with text, iconography, "presentation shots" etc. you'll generally be doing in Photoshop. Substance is focused on material work as opposed to general image editing and doesn't have robust text / shape solutions as of yet
  • lotet
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lotet hero character
    seriously, why the hate for editing normal maps in PS?
  • NoRank
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NoRank polycounter lvl 3
    lotet said:
    Because normally people just bake incorrectly and then they try to use this as a workaround method. I don't really think it's all that bad (even thought I never really need to do that), but really, it would be a bad habit for someone that is a beginner to get used to.
  • marks
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    marks greentooth
    lotet said:

Because it's like crashing your car and then using a hammer to beat the body panels back into shape.
  • lotet
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lotet hero character
    NoRank said:
    lotet said:
    Because normally people just bake incorrectly and then they try to use this as a workaround method. I don't really think it's all that bad (even thought I never really need to do that), but really, it would be a bad habit for someone that is a beginner to get used to.
    ok, I get that some hack job might fuck something up and think they can fix it later. but that shouldnt make an entire technique less legit. that would be like saying NO ONE cant use zremsher because some people think its good enough for production topology xD.

I mean, say I have a mech with like 800 parts, Either I spent Hours getting that "perfect bake" (which I dont even think exist ) with hundreds of hand made cages, OR I spend 20 minutes fixing up small errors in PS.

I choose PS.
  • lotet
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lotet hero character
  • thomasp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    lotet said:

I choose PS.

Choose PS, Choose Life.

• lotet
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lotet hero character
    PS Life.

Dont ask me why i spent 3 minutes of my life making this...at least I made it in Photoshop.
  • NoRank
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NoRank polycounter lvl 3
    lotet said:
    NoRank said:
    lotet said:
    ok, I get that some hack job might fuck something up and think they can fix it later. but that shouldnt make an entire technique less legit. that would be like saying NO ONE cant use zremsher because some people think its good enough for production topology xD.

I mean, say I have a mech with like 800 parts, Either I spent Hours getting that "perfect bake" (which I dont even think exist ) with hundreds of hand made cages, OR I spend 20 minutes fixing up small errors in PS.

I choose PS.
    That's why i'm saying, it's not bad at all, the problem is that beginners usually just bake it wrong and instead of learning the basics properly, they would rather to spend time fixing something that shouldn't even be wrong if they did know how to do it properly.

The thing is that people usually take everything that is said as an absolute rule. This is similar to that old talk about everything need to be all quads.
  • gnoop
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gnoop polycounter
    I do use both Substance programs often  but Photoshop still the main tool.   And now more than before  since we are going to shift  from mostly procedural  textures to  photogrammetry based .         Both Substances  evolve  around tiny  noise  or bitmap inputs turned into something  bigger and looking less repetitive and artificial .  Still next to  photogrammetry  you recognise the real thing immediately. 

And I  am  talking  not about  Quixel meagscans .    They are too small imo.   I  use much bigger scans and need a good 2d composer  to solve a tricky part of turning them into tiling textures ,    looking not too repetitive  but still unique and real  at the same time.   All the robotic  "make it tile" things can't do it good enough.  You have to manually and carefully re-compose fragments  evaluating  and  adapting each part separetly.     Substance designer  has too basic composing/correction tools for that  and works terribly slow with photogrammetry hi res inputs.  

Photoshop is also a kind of a pain in the a... .   I have more hope on Affinity Photo and Photoline now.

ps.   Substance Designer is still  the best for road tiles kind of things

• Demno
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Demno polycounter lvl 6
    Photoshop is still my main texture tool as a vfx artist. So easy to create weird masks and stuff that I dont see a reason to drop it anytime soon.
  • Larry
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Larry interpolator
    marks said:
    lotet said:

Because it's like crashing your car and then using a hammer to beat the body panels back into shape.
    that reminded me of this!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=50A9wjJ40Dk
  • lotet
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lotet hero character
    Larry said:
    marks said:
    lotet said:

that reminded me of this!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=50A9wjJ40Dk
    and see, that one turned out fine! you can barely see the difference from a new one :P