Home Technical Talk

[3DSMax]- KeyHydra FREE WIthout DRM for 3DSMax 2020, 2021 & 2022

Replies

• Swordslayer
    Offline / Send Message
    Swordslayer interpolator
    @musashidan Well, in the end... the more choices, the merrier I guess, though it might seem a bit bittersweet right now. Hope you'll still think about giving Lazercut a spin. I do like how this tool turned out but of course it's mainly feedback, opinions and suggestions that might allow it to shine more :)

• Dominique_
    Offline / Send Message
    Dominique_ polycounter lvl 8
    Looks really cool! 
    So just to be clear, this is not available yet and it will only be available when buying Keyhydra?
    I need to know where to insert my money <3
  • Noren
    Offline / Send Message
    Noren polycounter lvl 19
    Looking really great, but...

you should really overthink your general marketing and communication approach in my opinion. Once more you have taken a route that is bound to create confusion. People have just understood what KeyHydra is and now it's supposed to be a collection of tools to improve the max user experience? This will be confusing for pretty much anyone who isn't following this thread.
    It's generous and much appreciated to provide LazerCut for KeyHydra, but you could do that just as well if you gave it its own dedicated thread (for feedback reasons alone). I don't think the idea of a toolset is bad, either, but it would need a new and more fitting name, in my opinion.

Anyways, none of my business really, just my 2 cents.
  • LaurentiuN
    Offline / Send Message
    LaurentiuN interpolator
    @Noren
    Good points there, one more thing, i would appreciate if the LazerCut was a separate tool and not bound to the KeyHydra instalation.
  • Cathodeus
    Offline / Send Message
    Cathodeus polycounter lvl 14
    @Dominique_ You're correct "LazerCut" is not available yet. We're polishing things currently. And it will be available first to current Keyhydra's users. They're supporting it since the begining they deserve that. They're helping us as well to fix last bugs before going fully public [Even if currently there is no bug, --> i use it everyday]. So if you're intrested in using it before other you know what to do. KeyHydra can be bought on Gumroad. otherwise you can wait a bit and you will reach 'Lazercut" bugs free. [Again currently there are no known bugs]

@Noren Thanks for your comment. In fact Keyhydra is a hub since the begining that allow users to launch 3DMax tools, or plug-ins, or scripts in a faster and more effective way. So if it can do this, It can execute our own tools as well. [And this was in my mind since the begining]. The difference is that we will have full control on our own tools and will be hable to do things that are not possible otherwise. Users know what is good for them if they need a part  of keyhydra they will install it even if they are confuse actually about the other parts of Keyhydra. When more tools will be available inside keyhydra and when users will be used to it they will not be confused anymore. [Gabe Newell will probably not contradict me on that point :-) Steam is loved now. it wasn't the case back in 2003-2004)

@s1dk We could have done it that way that's true. And we would have been richer but that will not be the case. KeyHydra is 29.99$ with all service available. While if we split it to features that would be more work for us so than each plugin would have been more expensive etc ... So to me that's a win win. Once LazerCut on your system you will try Keyhydra and maybe love it. if it's the case please come back in this thread later and tell us.

• volaille
    Offline / Send Message
    volaille polycounter lvl 12
    wow this lazer cuting tool looks awsome. shame I'm a maya user... 
  • Cathodeus
    Offline / Send Message
    Just created the page on the website with more informations https://www.keyhydra.com/

• pmiller001
    Offline / Send Message
    pmiller001 greentooth
    Very cool! nie work. 
  • Dosso
    Offline / Send Message
    Dosso polycounter lvl 2
    amazing guys !
  • Swordslayer
    Offline / Send Message
    Swordslayer interpolator
    @perna As usual, YMMV applies. That said, things like what you pictured only ever happen with non-planar polygons (so for example regular sphere instead of the subdivided box would be clean) and in all the lazercut cutters meshes the polygons are strictly planar.
  • musashidan
    Offline / Send Message
    musashidan high dynamic range
    perna said:

the results I'm getting are absolutely abhorrent and a huge step back from ProBooleans (which have stayed the same the last 10+ years).

Firstly I'm getting triangles on anything that is not coplanar, not just extreme angles. Here's an example of typical blockout geo, Carve left, ProBooleans right. The results are embarrassing and more reason for users of other 3D packages to ridicule 3ds Max. They also say Carve is faster, but my tests show the opposite by a clear margin.

Additionally the boolean feature set has been severely reduced from Proboolean's.

If the triangulation problem is transferred to LazerCut, I think it's important that you guys communicate that to potential customers (It seems your videos use very simple meshes where this wouldn't occur), because it's an issue that causes a significant (and in 2017 completely unacceptable for any production on a schedule) decrease in productivity, having to manually clean up a mesh after every single boolean op. It brings us back to the days of Editable Mesh.

It's within AD's power to at least reduce the triangulation only to areas of intersection without changing library, but that's not going to happen if 3rd party devs praise the new booleans, so I hope we can all come to agreement on this issue and push them for necessary changes.

The first time Boolean triangulated my bool result, I dropped it immediately and have continued to use Proboolean as usual. It's clunky and poorly designed. Even a simple feature like instancing is just plain badly thought out. Having used Boxcutter/Hardops over the last 5 days I feel embarrassed - as a Max user -  at how slick/modern/clever the system is, considering it's running on a FREE DCC.

This was such a great opportunity to build a completely modern boolean toolkit but, as usual, it's a half-arsed implementation that will more than likely gather dust after an iteration or 2.

I have raised this on the beta forums and created a request on the ideas board. A proper rewrite/amalgamation of new(old) boolean and Proboolean.

As you say PB has been pretty solid over the last decade and relatively unchanged from Npower days.
  • Swordslayer
    Offline / Send Message
    Swordslayer interpolator
    @perna Don't meant to downplay them, and believe me, I have a long history of hardsurface modeling (and don't get me wrong, we share the one solution won't fit all approach). But yeah, in the end of the day, I haven't really noticed that before you brought that up as I'm only using booleans as a part of the lazercut workflow where everything is built solely from the safe parts. When I get to the subdivision/chamfer phase, everything is already collapsed.
  • Mehran Khan
    Offline / Send Message
    Mehran Khan polycounter lvl 9
    awesome work man, lookin forward to it.
  • Cathodeus
    Offline / Send Message
    Quick update, i have sent the "Keyhydra+LazerCut" build to our current client. So some people are already testing it.

I've made an how  to install "Keyhydra + LazerCut" video

@perna The problem you're mentioning will happen on maybe 5 percent of case.

It will be solved by autodesk [can be solved easily].

If they don't we will.

It's a matter of "Who will agree to make the efforts". We can patch Max as we already did for couple of things, that's better if it's patched in the trunk.

LazerCut was developped for a special mechanical complex thing  Ubisoft Nadeo ask me to do. This entire set of objects was made with LazerCut [For Low] + Inset fix [For High] + Baking high to low. Sometime triangulation happened, but, as said before it was less than 5 percent of the case. And thrust me what i was working on is probably one of the most complex things that can be made for an HardSurface Artist. [Not just a tiny thing like a gun, or a car --> more a big structure with tons of mechanism animated with gears etc ...]

Can't show as it's under NDA.

So that being said. i'm fully confident with the future of the new boolean system.

Ps : If i needed to model those kind of things [Complex carved mechanical sphere] i would personnaly go nurbs ! [With CAD soft]

• musashidan
    Offline / Send Message
    Cathodeus said:

Ps : If i needed to model those kind of things [Complex carved mechanical sphere] i would personnaly go nurbs ! [With CAD soft]

Unfortunately,  for a lot of us this isn't suitable at all for high/low bake workflow as it involves tedious manual retopology. Personally, I use a simultaneous 'high poly for free' workflow. You build your final game mesh and use smoothing groups/chamfer/sub-d for a non-destructive and easily iterative mesh.
  • Cathodeus
    Offline / Send Message
    @perna The issue you're pointing will be solved by autodesk or us [that's a question of time]. [ I feel like being in a time loop  :) ]

As already said yes the problem you're pointing is real and yes to me it was 5 percent of case on all operations made on all objects i had to do. About CAD software and step backward ... urgh ... i'm just not ok with you. It's like saying : "Well we did character before without zbrush so zbrush is a step backward" ... I also never said : "Do use CAD software instead of max", as i do use sub-d everyday. I'm here to say : "Hey guys we try to improve things, look at what we did ! Yes that's not perfect but we can improve it again, because we do have the good contacts, the knowledges, and the energy for that ..." I prefer using the right weapon for the current task i'm working on and sometime yes "vanilla max" is not the good weapon. [Hey that's why we made Keyhydra :) ]

If people are happy to use LaserCut "as is", they will be able to purchase it in a couple of day [or try the trial. if they prefer using something else they can too.  So if for now you prefer using Pro boolean, i agree too . I prefer using LazerCut as it's easier, faster, and realy intuitive. You're trying to explain us something we're currently aware of, that's not needed we already know. I'm working hard on our new game, KeyHydra Dev, keyhydra Marketing, and buisness issues ... One day i hope i will post something here and say : "Perna, i told you it the 04-August-17, and today we do have solved it". [Not a promess again, more a goal for us and autodesk]. Be positive man !

• Joao Sapiro
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    "As already said yes the problem you're pointing is real and yes to me it was 5 percent of case on all operations made on all objects i had to do. "

The practical examples provided PROVE without doubt that its not production ready, but since you guys are already aware of it i think its cool, altho i personally for ethical reasons wouldnt market it as something that it isnt ( something that works production wise to maintain clean models ) . Mind you its a really cool fucking tool and i want to see it solved so that i install it , and im very selective of the scripts i install mind you ;)

"
    About CAD software and step backward ... urgh ... i'm just not ok with you. It's like saying : "Well we did character before without zbrush so zbrush is a step backward"

what....?

"... 
    I also never said : "Do use CAD software instead of max"

nobody is saying to use it instead, perna simply mentioned that retorting to those methods would be a step back, wich it totally is. Anyone with Subd experience and studio production knows why and its an open and shut case. It can be super usefull for prototyping and concepting, but i would leave it at that  , unless you like to tweak millions of vertices by hand.

"...as i do use sub-d everyday. I'm here to say : "Hey guys we try to improve things, look at what we did ! Yes that's not perfect but we can improve it again, because we do have the good contacts, the knowledges, and the energy for that ..." 

and it was clearly demonstrated ! the idea of the tool is great and it has my interest, i just hope you dont get demotivated to improve it, it got the attention of modeling gurus here on the board so thats a great sign !

"
    If people are happy to use LaserCut "as is", they will be able to purchase it in a couple of day [or try the trial. if they prefer using something else they can too. (...) I prefer using LazerCut as it's easier, faster, and realy intuitive."

....except it doesnt work correctly, i would definately try to have those issues solved first, because its hurting the credibility if you try to pass something that isnt buggy as bug free , and i know , i know, its either you or AD that will fix it . Get it fixed and show it on cases like perna here showed. I want this tool !!

You seem a passionate artist and i cant wait to see this finished man ! Good luck !

• Cathodeus
    Offline / Send Message
    @Joao How do you know it doesn't work correclty ? It's not available to you yet ... Neither Perna ... As you're both not in the client list ...

LaZerCut and new boolean are fully production ready and as all tools they have their pro and cons. I use it on a next Ubisoft IP so i suppose it's production ready ... if you don't thrust me than google about me. I don't need to convince. I use it, it's good to me.

• Joao Sapiro
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    Cathodeus said:
    @Joao How do you know it doesn't work correclty ? It's not available to you yet ... Neither Perna ... As you're both not in the client list ...

LaZerCut and new boolean are fully production ready and as all tools they have their pro and cons. I use it on a next Ubisoft IP so i suppose it's production ready ... if you don't thrust me than google about me. I don't need to convince. I use it, it's good to me.

If laZerCut is based on the regular boolean that is broken like per mentioned , then i guess it is also broken no ? unless i misunderstood the tool of course. If thats the case ignore what i said !

• Cathodeus
    Offline / Send Message
    @perna Please make another thread this is confusing people. Thanks. [This issue is not Keyhydra related].

@Joao Lets wait for more content like video or users posting here what they made. before having an opinion. Even if sometime you can meet the issue it's still really valid.
  • pior
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    @Cathodeus  : to be fair ... if you introduce a new automagical tool in the middle of a thread, mention that it relies on a specific library/system, and then it is shown that said library might not be as rock solid as it first seem ... then I think that discussions on this topic are quite relevant, and something that potential users/customers might want to be aware of.

This has a lot to do with the way the tool is presented. "Production ready" doesn't just imply that some artists at a studio somewhere are happy playing with it. It also implies that it would have uses for users with great production track record and very high expectations. I think their input is extremely valuable !

If the tool does indeed output results like C and D above, then it might be best to present it as a very rough concept/exploration tool. People required to output clean, subdivision-ready models could simply not make any use of that.

By contrast, the people making HardOps/Boxcutter don't make any such claims. Jerry Perkins is well aware that the tool is tailored to his own unique workflow and designs, and he doesn't claim that it would suit everyone. From there everything can be taken at face value. For instance I personally don't use HardOps at all, but I use the lesser known (and more fitting to my needs) BoxCutter very often. I hope this makes sense.
  • Swordslayer
    Offline / Send Message
    Swordslayer interpolator
    First, nice to see the newcomers getting interested. As Massimo said above, if the users report issues with it, we can add a checkbox/mode to deal with those extra edges, that can be done - already have a few ideas. Just understand that it's a part of a growing tool pack for current customers to make their time in max more enjoyable, which is why it was introduced as an update comment in the old thread, and everyone involved contributes in their free time so the pace of development varies a lot and we cannot guarantee anything on that front.

I, too, am one of those required to output clean, subdivision-ready models (car models for 20k horizontal res) and use LazerCut in production without issues which is why I was at first suprised about perna asking about issues with tris. Guess I'm too much of a traditional modeller in that I don't use booleans on turbosmoothed objects/objects with rounded chamfers applied. Others already have different use-cases in mind, which warrants that disclaimer, I agree. I'm not in a good position to reply to similar demands as I created the tool and as such value it more than is reasonable and it's hard for me not to get defensive :/ After a few independent users get their hands on it, then it might be a good idea to finally create a separate thread where they can share what they like/hate about it - do you agree on that?
  • Justo
    Offline / Send Message
    Justo polycounter
    I'm no 3D hotshot like some of the artists who've given their feedback here, but my impression upon reading this thread is that you can give very misleading marketing, Cathodeus. First you say "Hard surface artist will love it !", then admit the tools has problems, and finally you start getting defensive: "How do you know it doesn't work correctly ? It's not available to you yet". Then you tell people not to derail the thread with off-topic points, even though it's been proven by visual evidence they're quite related to the root of everything here. 

:) I'm just saying this so as to give you the perspective of (another) random 3D artist who might stumble upon this and what he might think of your product. If your toolset is still experimental and has some bugs to be squashed, be open about it and people will be excited about your developments. But if you start this saying with a "It's done and you'll love it" attitude you'll generally make people suspicious. This becomes a bigger problem when you shush artists who are pointing potential problems...Instead of shooing them, welcome their critics. Try to learn from your partner @Swordslayer for example, who has various threads here where he's never afraid to point out his own mistakes or say when someone else did something better than him. 

Anyway, I do think this tool is looking awesome, but I'll wait till you guys get it out and hear from others what they think. You guys are doing amazing stuff, keep it up! 
  • Swordslayer
    Offline / Send Message
    Swordslayer interpolator
    perna said:
    I'm genuinely curious and willing to learn about the approaches you guys have used and why your meshes don't have "complex" curves. What happens when a concept has curves? How would you make a bike helmet? I'm confused by this, but I'm only seeing text in response, no images. That is telling in and of itself, you know?
    I make cars (used to be also planes for a while, don't keep portfolio, see company website instead). Bodywork is not suitable for lazercut as you cannot build that from simple primitives. All the little details like this on the other hand are perfect for that:

• Cathodeus
    Offline / Send Message
    I know i'm really straight to the point and the way i talk do disturb sometime. As i'm the person who pay the dev of Keyhydra and lead it i will not be hable to change the way i talk and think [sorry]. I really listen to all comments. And when i tell that we do have a solution we do have one. And when i tell that we do talk with Autodesk it's because we do. What do you want from me than ? Do you want me to say :  "Look at this crap we've made" ? "Do you want me to say that we're not in contact with autodesk ?"

Than it mean you want me to lie. And this will not happen. If i say Hardsurface artist will love it. It is because i think it's true than after people think what they want of course. If people think that i'm trying to sell a magical product than ...

There is no magical tool out there. There is what do exist.

@Pior Keyhydra was made for myself at the begining and still is. It was presented like this in this really first thread post. Than i decided to hire some persons and make it clean. Because i think it can help others.

That being said i will not answer anymore until i have something more intresting to show. Because talking like a politician is not my cup of tea as you all have seen.

@Perna You proposed yourself to create another topic on that ou there in a previous thread. I have no authority at all on you.Don't be defensive neither

• pior
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Don't take the following the wrong way : I think that part of the issue come from things being literally lost in translation, given that your replies often shift away and deviate from the initial topics being brought up (this is shown clearly in your reply just above). Add to that "used car salesman" pitches ("You'll love our product !") and it's pretty obvious that things will get out of hand quickly.

Keep in mind that when people take the time to write extensive feedback, it is always with the best intention. This is not reddit here, people here care more for the end product of discussion than for their own karma points..

All that said : good luck !
  • johanflod
    Offline / Send Message
    johanflod polycounter lvl 7
    Swordslayer said:
    . Bodywork is not suitable for lazercut as you cannot build that from simple primitives. 

Thanks for an honest answer. I have a similar experience to Perna when it comes to the new booleans in 3ds Max. 
  • Cathodeus
    Offline / Send Message
    Hello all,

I just uploaded a video to vimeo demowing LazerCut in his current state. Video number 08_LazerCutV1-Demo is what you will want to look at

https://vimeo.com/onikanabo

Ps : I had couple of problems with Camtasia this morning. First video was blinking like a christmas tree.So i re made it quickly again before leaving office. [It's not perfect somme text are not placed at the right moment and it seems that the end of the video is missing --> i will fix it on monday].

Cheers.

Edited : I just fixed the video and replaced it

• kohg
    Offline / Send Message
    kohg polycounter lvl 8
    So let me get this straight, a one year non commercial license is 29$, the keyhydra which gives me access to Lazercut aswell?
  • Cathodeus
    Offline / Send Message
    @Kohg The answer is "Yes" that will grant access to KeyHydra with LazerCut [wich is currently only available to our clients], and during one year you will get all upcoming features and tools for free.
  • Cathodeus
    Offline / Send Message
    @kohg I need to add a bit of infomations to my previous answer. The 1 year license is a"commercial AND non commercial" license wich mean --> [for any use]. [This mean that freelancers, companies, and hobbyst do pay the same price per seat for same service].
  • cptSwing
    Offline / Send Message
    cptSwing polycounter lvl 11

I make cars (used to be also planes for a while, don't keep portfolio, see company website instead).

Offtopic, that looks like fun, if niche, products to work on.
  • masterxeon1001
    Offline / Send Message
    masterxeon1001 polycounter lvl 7
    Ha awesome. LazerCut is a cool name. I hope this tool goes far!

• musashidan
    Offline / Send Message
    Ha awesome. LazerCut is a cool name. I hope this tool goes far!

Ah! @masterxeon1001 The man himself. :) I was wondering if you'd get tipped off to this. While you're here, can you tell me where this comes from? It's from your Boxcutter Gumroad page. It's a Max screenshot of a BC clone that I'm very curious about.

• Cathodeus
    Offline / Send Message
    @masterxeon1001 Thanks sir, i wish you the best too. We're both trying to push things further and this is good for everybody.

Please i would like to keep this thread for Keyhydra and his toolset. I would really thanks both of you to keep this on track. it will be less confusing for new comers [less things to read, and filter], i will not have to use other thread as well like this.

I just re edited the saturday's video and fixed the issues i was mentionning.

Also to all people that are currently downloading the trial. Please keep in mind that lazerCut is not yet public [it's only available to our clients], the trial should be up and running with keyhydra by the end or mid of this week. [Still need to test licensing filters].
  • musashidan
    Offline / Send Message
    @Cathodeus sorry for the derail. I just find it weird that the gif above doesn't appear anywhere else on the net(that I can find) and was hoping to get some insight, considering what it's demoing.

I'll contact @masterxeon1001 directly.
  • masterxeon1001
    Offline / Send Message
    masterxeon1001 polycounter lvl 7
    ha i dont remember. it was so long ago. Im always in the shadows... watchin.
  • Cathodeus
    Offline / Send Message
    @musashidan Thanks man. [wasn't pointing at you in particular] that was more a general though [Keyhydra is already enough complicated and heavy to catch for new comers even without off topic].
  • Cathodeus
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm really happy to say that within a couple of minutes SwordSlayer will post something intresting to this forum. Spoiler !!!
  • Swordslayer
    Offline / Send Message
    Swordslayer interpolator
    Due to popular demand, introducing clean edge checkbox (see the switching at the beginning of the gif):

Soon available at your local supermarket ;)

yeah, shown on a turbosmoothed cube; if you still have doubts it will work on your mesh, feel free to send a link with said mesh for us to test with

• Cathodeus
  • musashidan
    Offline / Send Message
    Great work, lads! Amazing that @swordslayer can fix in a matter of hours what Adesk devs have known about for months and not fixed.

Please, please have the checkbox ticked ON, by default. :)
  • ZombieWells
    Offline / Send Message
    ZombieWells polycounter lvl 12
    nice one guys!!!
  • Cathodeus
    Offline / Send Message
    We just pushed the "Keyhydra+LazerCut" trial through Gumroad. So it's now available to everybody [even not clients].

Ps : This build do not contain the triangulation fixer yet. Will happen soon.

https://www.onikanabo.shop/

• musashidan
    Offline / Send Message
    Download....installed.....began playing. :)

I messed about for a few minutes and noticed this weird co-planar topology

But then I realised it wasn't that weird at all it was cloning the element which was sitting in exact same local space

Trying to reproduce in steps. Nothing yet. Will definitely keep playing around. I'm really liking the basic implementation so far.

Few features that would be nice:

The default primitives are way too small. The box being 1x1x1cm. A metre3 would be much better, I feel.

It would be great to have interactive segments on prims at creation(mouse wheel or mod key)

The shift mod key to constrain the operand manipulation is a nice touch but could it behave in 3 axis rather than just 2?

Rather than setting segments for the chamfering on the operand circle controls it could be interactive(mousewheel?)

The ability to reapply the screenmesh operand as many times as you like. Maybe a button to reapply/delete it. As it is it's useless when the bool is converted to an EP and you have to delete it or newly drawn LC screenmeshes do nothing.

I've only spent about 10 minutes with the tool and these are my thoughts. Very excited to see how this evolves.

One thing that is unfortunate is that it can't really be used in a live stack workflow with chamfer/insetchamferfix mod. Updating the beveling with new Lazercuts operations.(As I've said above, I've been trying Boxcutter/Hardops combo for the last few days and the power really is in the live beveling updates)

Hopefully this isn't a bit much but I am very passionate about the future of this toolset. :)

Whether I use these tools or not, I will be buying one way or the other just to support your team's efforts.
  • Cathodeus
    Offline / Send Message
    @musashidan Lets say that we already did more than half of that list. [Some are already hidden in this build --> do not search for them you will not have access some core files are missing]. Stay tuned. Thanks a lot for your post.
  • Swordslayer
    Offline / Send Message
    Swordslayer interpolator
    @musashidan To add to the reply, the only thing that I'm not sure how to interpret is the 3-axis shift constraint. Do you mean manipulating the height of the cutter maybe? I usually scale it in local coordsys (since that won't influence the resulting object transform here, none of the traditional advices to avoid object-level scale apply anyway). Also, you can add any modifier to the cutter to get more control. If it's something else, do tell.

Some values that will be customizable later are hardcoded for now as you noticed, and we're still discussing the best way to expose them since the toolset will grow in the future and it would be better to have a universal yet simple interface.
  • musashidan
    Offline / Send Message
    @Cathodeus @swordslayer All great to hear. Looking forward to updates.

As for the 3-axis constraint, it's no big deal. As you said, it can just be done with local scale directly.

I was talking about manipulating the depth of the cutter.
  • Cathodeus
    Offline / Send Message
    There is a "Height parameter" in command panel. Select cutter --> command panel --> find height value --> tweak.
  • musashidan
    Offline / Send Message
    Cathodeus said:
    There is a "Height parameter" in command panel. Select cutter --> command panel --> find height value --> tweak.
    Yes, I spotted that one. :) But, I always try to work as little as possible with extra spinners/sliders/menus where possible.