Home Technical Talk

3dsmax plane problem

Hi guys,

I'm new to 3ds max. I hope that someone can help me. I'm wondering why in Max when i move a vertex in a plane (and sometimes not) the plane wil bend with a middle line. 

As you can see in the image below. The left side have a middle line. In the right side you can see no line. I just dont understand why this is and can't find it anywhere. 

I really hope somebody can explain it to me.  Many thanks. 

Replies

• ActionDawg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ActionDawg greentooth
    Each polygon is made of triangles. Significantly bending them exposes that fact, especially because that polygon itself has no smoothing groups.
  • DannySliepen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you for you answer.

I understand that each polygon is made of triangles. When I was finished with my modeling i noticed on my model that it have a lot of triangels in my planes.  When i look at my reference model.. I didn't had one. And when i moved the vertex of my reference model it will not show the triangels. I just wonder what is the cause of this.  
    In the center is where i move up the vertex without bending.  In the bottom i moved the vertex with bending of the plane. You would say that in this case both situation would be triangles visible. As you can see its not. is this really normal???

• Axi5
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Axi5 interpolator
    In max's Edit Poly tools, use the "turn" tool, you'll see dashed lines where the triangles exist. If the quad is non planar, then the triangle nature will appear, but the vertex normals of the object will keep the shading consistent, so it can be harder to spot.
  • Amsterdam Hilton Hotel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Amsterdam Hilton Hotel insane polycounter

basically, 3ds always maintains an implicit division of n-gons into triangles. the implicit edges used to triangulate them are called "hidden edges." for whatever reason, in editable poly, these n-gons are always smoothed within themselves, even if they have no smoothing group assigned. but in editable mesh, this isn't the case and you can see the implicit triangles.

sometimes, if you import geo as editable poly it will still shade like editable mesh. I have no idea if this is a bug or a user error I'm overlooking. what I've found to generally fix this is to apply an edit poly mod and collapse it, or convert to editable mesh and then back to editable poly again. should be the same outcome.

• DannySliepen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks everybody for the explanations.. I will study them and see if this will help and give my answer as soon I find out. Thanks again.
  • DannySliepen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Quick study is that both of you ar right.. With assigning auto smoothing groups all triangles where gone and the vertex acting normaly. Also with the method of making a mesh and then edit poly also did the job. Thanks a lot both of you.. Didn't find this on the internet. Both of you really help me a lot!!! 

Thanks a lot

• electrotoast
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If you have 2018 Update 1, you can use the Model Assist viewport style. Check out the help here (scroll down to Model Assist to see what it does). If for some reason it doesn't appear in your drop down, you may have to delete the enu folder in AppData to reset viewport styles.
  • electrotoast
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If you have 2018 Update 1, you can use the Model Assist viewport style. Check out the help here (scroll down to Model Assist to see what it does). If for some reason it doesn't appear in your drop down, you may have to delete the enu folder in AppData to reset viewport styles.