Home Technical Talk

Zbrush 4r8 Issues?

polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
Sunray polycounter lvl 7
Is it just my ZBrush that is a bit buggy or has this been changed? So far I've run into two problems I can't inflate with the transpose tool anymore. Also when I click on the eye icon on the active layer it doesn't hide all the other layers. Is there any way to hide all layers now because this is really annoying. And yes I know that there is solo mode but there are some things this doesn't work for.

Has anyone else come across some other issues so far?

Replies

• musashidan
    Offline / Send Message
    musashidan high dynamic range
    Subtool visibility behaviour has changed. You can now shift-click the selected subtool in the list to turn all on/off.
  • Sunray
    Offline / Send Message
    Sunray polycounter lvl 7
    @musashidan
    thanks man you're a saver do you also know how the new shift thing works with the brush I've seen it in video but idk what to press to have it work(not sure how to explain but it doesn't set a stroke)
  • musashidan
    Offline / Send Message
    No prob. What new shift thing? The lazymouse straight line snapping?
  • Sunray
    Offline / Send Message
    Sunray polycounter lvl 7
    @musashidan  When u used to press shift ur brush used to be able to only go straight now you get a weird red line.
  • floon
    Offline / Send Message
    floon greentooth
    @Sunray what you need to do for it to work:
    -klick on the mesh where you want to begin your stroke
    -press shift
    -start draging (now you should see the red line)
    -once you are happy with your angle, release shift to confirm the stroke

hope this helps :)
  • musashidan
    Offline / Send Message
    @sunray unfortunately the old shift straight line function is gone. You now have to use lazymouse instead. But the good news is that it's WAY more powerful. Follow @floon steps above. I find setting the lazyradius to 5 is the perfect sweet spot. Plus if you store a morph target and set lazysnap to about 40 you can continue your strokes cleanly where you left off.

Also, when following floon's steps if you get into a rhythm of releasing/repressing shift at every change of angle you can get perfect continuous cut lines. It's just a matter of practicing it.
  • lotet
    Offline / Send Message
    lotet hero character
    Subtool visibility behaviour has changed. You can now shift-click the selected subtool in the list to turn all on/off.
    So THATS what it is! Thanks for posting about this, this is actually a much better solution.
    I never liked the old system, was happy the removed the functionality, didnt know they implemented it in another way though :)
  • Sunray
    Offline / Send Message
    Sunray polycounter lvl 7
    @floon  @musashidan

Thanks for the help guys!
  • musashidan
    Offline / Send Message
    @lotet yes, it's definitely better, even though I had drummed the old method into my head I could  certainly see why it wou.d be frustrating. :)

@sunray you're welcome mate.
  • thomasp
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    i just had to force quit 4R8 update 1 due to an (apparently) massive memory leak. had the program running continuously for a few days with only a handful of small ztools loaded, suddenly my machine starts to lag like mad and task manager shows me that Z has gobbled up almost all my 32 gigs of RAM.

are there any settings that make it behave like a RAM usage limiter? i've not dealt with 64 bit versions of the program until R8 so may have missed out on tuning tips.

another issue i found relates to custom interfaces: if you embed the tool -> display properties -> double button in the interface and restart it instead links to the tool -> subtool -> double function here.

• Thousand
    Offline / Send Message
    Thousand polycounter lvl 9
    floon said:
    @Sunray what you need to do for it to work:
    -klick on the mesh where you want to begin your stroke
    -press shift
    -start draging (now you should see the red line)
    -once you are happy with your angle, release shift to confirm the stroke

hope this helps :)
    the problem with this is that it doesn't allow for pressure sensitivity along the stroke

with the way, shift used to work, you could vary the intensity of the stroke while still constraining it

I really hope, that this feature gets an update soon
  • Thousand
    Offline / Send Message
    Thousand polycounter lvl 9
    @thomasp : did you take a look at the undo history? sometimes it helps to save the project with undo history off (if history is not needed)
  • Naibaf99
    Offline / Send Message
    Naibaf99 polycounter lvl 7
    I've had constant crashes when I accidentally make a snapshot, I try to clear the screen with the Ctrl+N shortcut and when I drag the model again in the viewport it crashes a lot, anyone has an idea what is causing this??
  • thomasp
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    Thousand said:
    @thomasp : did you take a look at the undo history? sometimes it helps to save the project with undo history off (if history is not needed)
    oh i'm just saving ztools myself. quicksave might be another matter but at least it's set to maximum time delay.

i have a newer version now though which seems to not do this anymore.

• thomasp
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    Naibaf99 said:
    I've had constant crashes when I accidentally make a snapshot, I try to clear the screen with the Ctrl+N shortcut and when I drag the model again in the viewport it crashes a lot, anyone has an idea what is causing this??

i could not reproduce any crashes but i only tried with rather simple models. learned some new hotkeys in the process, too. ;)

there's an update for zbrush to P2 out now.
  • Shanana
    Offline / Send Message
    Shanana polycounter lvl 6
    Anyone have had issues with the Pen buttons? I work on an Intuos pro, and I used to set the buttons to ALT and CTRL Z. Now Zbrush just doesn't get any of those settings, it just rotates the viewport as it would when clicking. This is really slowing me down :disappointed:
    I've tried reverting to older wacom drivers, and to newer. Helas, nothing seems to make a difference. Clean reinstall of zbrush also didn't make a difference. 
  • Sunray
    Offline / Send Message
    Sunray polycounter lvl 7
    Shanana said:
    Anyone have had issues with the Pen buttons? I work on an Intuos pro, and I used to set the buttons to ALT and CTRL Z. Now Zbrush just doesn't get any of those settings, it just rotates the viewport as it would when clicking. This is really slowing me down :disappointed:
    I've tried reverting to older wacom drivers, and to newer. Helas, nothing seems to make a difference. Clean reinstall of zbrush also didn't make a difference. 
    This sounds like a Wacom issue are you sure your pen settings are correct for ZBrush 4r8? I've had no issue at all with the buttons I'm working witht the same tablet as you are.