Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[WIP / Feedback] Human Skull Study

polycounter lvl 2
Offline / Send Message
GustavBP polycounter lvl 2
Hi Polycount!

This is my first time posting here. I'm fairly new to 3D and wanted to try and share some of my work for some C&C.
As any total ZBrush noob, I decided my first real project should be a skull. This is where I'm at currently:

I'm using DynaMesh at this stage and wanted to get some feedback, specifically on proportions, before moving on to detailing.

I want to end up with a high-quality mesh that I can import into 3ds Max and render in a big still-life scene in V-ray.
I'm thinking about trying out Mari Non-commercial for textures, which I have never used before so this will all be very new to me. Therefore I want to make sure I'm following a somewhat sensible workflow before moving too far.

Heres what I'm thinking on the workflow so far:
Finishing touches on DynaMesh > ZRemesher > Breaking up Symmetry and further detailing > UV mapping > Baking maps > Move to Mari > building final shader in V-ray.

I'll try and keep this thread updated as I progress. Any feedback is very much appreciated!

Replies

• Stellary
    Offline / Send Message
    Stellary vertex
    Hi! I'm new to zbrush too, so I can't help with your workflow. But I notice that the skull from front seems to be too narrow. Otherwise I really like it, good luck with your work!
  • GustavBP
    Offline / Send Message
    @Stellary You were definitely right about the narrowness. Thank you for pointing that out :)

I spent the entire night (probably waaay too long, but I get carried away with this sort of stuff) on reworking all of the proportions. I think it looks A LOT more accurate now. So here's an update:

And here's a quick comparison:

All of the pushing and pulling I did on the mesh left the teeth a bit messed up, so I probably have to clean it up a bit before I mess them up on purpose ;)

• GustavBP
    Offline / Send Message
    Here's an update on the project:
    I have widened the mouth and refined the teeth:

The skull has now been ZRemeshed and subdivided. I am working on the last details and finishing touches before unwrapping and exporting for texturing.

Now to figuring out how to unwrap this in ZBrush  :#
  • GustavBP
    Offline / Send Message
    A quick test render:

The render was done in 3ds Max V-Ray. I used the VERY high poly model (around 20 mil in total). This will not be the case in the final. I did experiment with displacement, but had a hard time getting all of the detail through. Maybe I'll do the skull as a V-Ray Proxy in the full scene? Still haven't quite figured that out.

The unwrapping is done. It is by no means perfect, but I think it'll do. I ended up doing it in 3ds Max because I suck at unwrapping and at least have SOME experience with it in max. It was a pretty crashtastic experience though. 

Next step is the final touches on the model it self and then figuring out the texturing process in Mari...
  • ripper351
    Offline / Send Message
    ripper351 polycounter lvl 5
    Nice work man. Doesnt look like you are very new to 3D by looking at your work. 
    Do you use photo reference with this? always helpful to throw in an image plane if you want it to be completely accurate to the shape of a skull. 
    also, did you do the UVs on the 20 million poly mesh, or did you do it on a low poly mesh? just wondering.
  • GustavBP
    Offline / Send Message
    @ripper351 Thank you :) I am new to ZBrush and sculpting in general, but have roughly 2 years experience with 3ds Max.
    I always try and use as much reference as possible. For this project, I think I must have looked at hundreds of skulls. I have a folder full of reference images and I just got PureRef, which I have found to be very useful while sculpting. I also found a program containing 2 3D scanned skulls, which has been great as anatomy reference.

I unwrapped the lowest subdiv in Zbrush. ~100K polys. I 
  • GustavBP
    Offline / Send Message
    @ripper351 Thank you :) I am new to ZBrush and sculpting in general, but have roughly 2 years experience with 3ds Max.

I always try and use as much reference as possible. For this project, I think I must have looked at hundreds of skulls. I have a folder full of reference images and I just got PureRef, which I have found to be very useful while sculpting. I also found a program containing 2 3D scanned skulls, which has been great as anatomy reference.

I unwrapped the lowest subdiv in Zbrush. ~100K polys. I don't think 3ds Max would cooperate on 20 million ;)
  • GustavBP
    Offline / Send Message

I unwrapped the lowest subdiv in Zbrush. ~100K polys. I don't think 3ds Max would cooperate on 20 million ;)
  • GustavBP
    Offline / Send Message
    I don't know what happened with the triple posting there...

Anyways I finished texturing in Mari and set up a few renders in 3ds Max.
    Here are the renders:

Any inputs before I upload to Artstation and my website?

Thank you for stopping by!  :)

• GustavBP
    Offline / Send Message
    The project is now up on my ArtStation: https://www.artstation.com/artwork/l4235 :smiley: