Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Enrvironment Art Test

vertex
Offline / Send Message
elohim vertex
HI Guys, this is an art test a did recently for an environment artist position, sadly I did not get and did not receive any feedback, so I posting it here so I can hear your opinions.
I wanto to grow as an artist and I know feedback is a big part of that, so here it is.
It consisted in developing this concept

The rules were:
Maximum 6 textures (min 512x512 max 4096x4096) + one texture for alphas (max1024x1024)
50 k tris max
Minimum 10x10 m space and a maximum of 300x300m.

And here is my submitted piece, the render was done in marmoset (which I tried to learn for this test.), ad all the modeling done in 3dsmax and texture done in Substance Painter.

I had 2 weeks to complete this (this was really hard considering I have a full time job and had to do this in my free time but it was still doable)
Everyhting was done with modular pieces, the wall were broken in different parts for the top, middle and bottom in order to create different types of walls. The same for the ceiling and rock wall, the floor and train tracks were done with a single tileable piece.
This screenshots are from max:

So this is it, I spent two weeks doing this and sadly I did not get the job or any feedback, I am still grateful for the opportunity they gave but still wish I could've gotten some feedback.

Any C&C is more than welcome!!!

Replies

• elohim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    elohim vertex
    What I believe hurt me the most in the test were the final renders, seeing them now I believe the look really flat and maybe that cost me the test.
  • Carabiner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Carabiner greentooth
    Hey dude! So, technically speaking your models look great. Solid topology. I think there are two main things that are missing here for me:

1. Unfortunately, you didn't nail the main feeling of the concept. For me, that's the glowy green light coming from the tunnel, and in general the fact that it's very bright and has lots of god rays/atmospheric lights. The lighting in your final renders is quite flat, which might have been because you were trying to learn how to use Marmoset at the same time. I'd recommend using an engine like Unreal Engine, that way you can step up the atmospherics (fog, god rays, etc) and really convey the feeling better. Your render is overall very dark  - take a look at the bottom of the roof panels above the platform. In the concept they're still quite brightly lit (from the green glowy light especially) even though they're "in shadow". Whereas in your render, they're almost completely black.

2. The other main thing that's bringing this down is your materials. I actually think most of them are fairly decent, but it's honestly difficult to tell because of how flat the lighting is. Getting more atmospheric, brighter lighting will help a great deal in selling your material contrast and definition. There are also a few materials that I think don't quite match the concept, for example the rocks on the right (concept is a lot brighter/lighter, less saturated).

It's very impressive that you did this in just 2 weeks. With that amount of motivation and effort, I believe you could focus on the two things I listed above and turn this into a great portfolio piece if you're interested in doing that (and if it's allowed by the people who issued the art test).
  • Shyralon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shyralon polycounter lvl 11
    I think the main problems are lighting and material definition.
    If you compare the reference to your scene there is a huge difference when it comes to colors.
    Yours is almost everywhere lit with white lights and looks really flat, while the concept shows a lot of color contrast between blue, green and white/yellow light. Also the colors are way more saturated and there is atmospheric fog present which helps a lot to sell the atmosphere.

The other thing (which might also plays into the overall color) is that your materials all look the same - a bit like a rather glossy plastic.
    Are you using metalness maps? For example the metal ground does not read and reflect as metal.
    This also applies to different assets like the rocks - I would recommend taking a further look at PBR texturing and maybe also get some of these PBR material value charts for reference.

Last smaller thing is the rock wall - it looks almost stylized to me shapewise, but also the saturated brown color draws a lot of attention to the wrong parts of the image (the reference is more of a grey with a bit of blue which makes it blend into the overall environment way better).

The models itself look solid, I think you can create a nice piece out of this if you go back and work more and the texturing and lighting.

[Edit: Did not see Carabiners post before, pretty much repeating what she said lol]
  • elohim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    elohim vertex
    Hi @Carabiner,
    Thanks a lot for the feedback, it's just what I thought the lighting looks flat and the materials could've used more work, also about the atmospheric effects, those I didn't add any of that because one of the rules wasn't any post processsing so that's why I left only the lights, but I guess I could add the fog and still not break the rules maybe.
    Either way thanks a lot for the feedback, and I asked bout being able to upload this test before posting it here and they said it was cool. I'll keep working on the lights and rework my materials.

@Shyralon thanks for the feedback, I did use metalness in my materials, but now that you mention it they all look the same, I'll check the engine to make sure I am loading everything right. 

Thanks for this guys, it really helps to get different point of views!!
  • Dood1
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dood1 vertex
    I think the value structure is different in the concept
  • Carabiner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Carabiner greentooth
    Shyralon said:

[Edit: Did not see Carabiners post before, pretty much repeating what he said lol]
    Haha you have good taste in critique, but one thing - I'm not a dude! :) 
  • Butthair
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Butthair polycounter lvl 11
    If you can't do atmospheric post process, can you use particles or light shaft meshes?
  • elohim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    elohim vertex
    @Butthair yeah I think I could go with light shft meshes (BTW awesome nickname)
  • elohim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    elohim vertex
    Hi guys, 

So I had some free time and was able to rework some of the materials and the lights in the final render, sill could do more with it, but I guess I'll start moving everything to Unreal and see how it looks there.

• elohim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    elohim vertex
    Hi Guys,
    I have moved almost everyhting to unreal but I am still not getting the materials quite right, specially the floor, it looks way darker than it looks in substance, I've checked that everything should be linked where it's supposed to but still looks weird. Do any of you know what I am doing wrong? Also do you now some good lighting tutorials in unreal?

Thanks!

• slosh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slosh hero character
    I'm not sure about the unreal thing but how did you do the stone material?  zbrush?  substance designer?  To me, that rock texture just doesn't look convincing or similar to the concept.  Otherwise, the improvements you have made are indeed helping.
  • Maximum-Dev
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Substance painter/designer uses IBL. In UE4 you are receiving light from your Sky and Point lights. That might explain the difference. You can load the same cubemap in UE4]s PPV to get almost similar results with substance. Definitely not 1:1 though. Also make sure to place some Reflection Capture Spheres around. And double check to be sure you have turned off sRGB on your Roughness and Metalness maps.

Besides that, I don't think there's a problem with the scene as a whole, but there's a problem with each piece on it's own. The texture quality is relatively low. There seems to be some random dirt applied everywhere. There's no interesting use of roughness. Base colors look rather flat without any micro details and there's not enough details painted on the normal maps either. I think you should focus on 1 piece at a time i.e floor panel and preferably don't move to the next piece until you've nailed it.

It would be significantly helpful to you if you post a single piece and gather feedback on it to improve your texturing skills first.
    You should also constantly compare your materials with real life version of it.
  • elohim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    elohim vertex
    @slosh I did the stones in zbrush then substance painter.

@Maximum-Dev thanks for the info, I'll make sure to check the roughness and metalness. About the textures, this are all modular pieces that will be repeated quite a lot so I can't give them any big details or it will be evident it's the same piece over and over again. But I do understand what you mean by just having roughness all over the place. I'll focus more on places where dirt usually gathers and leave other parts "cleaner".

I think this environment has a lot of issues and most of them come from me trying of work on everything at the same time, modeling, texturing, lighting, etc. So a friend and fellow artist told I should nail the mood first, I'll work with a gray material on everything to make sure I get the mood and lighting right first then move on to textures.

Thanks so much for all the feedback!!!!
  • Maximum-Dev
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    elohim said:
    this are all modular pieces that will be repeated quite a lot so I can't give them any big details or it will be evident it's the same piece over and over again.
    Micro / generic details should be fine. But you can also apply variations in colors, roughness etc. in world space i.e for the floor and so the details wouldn't be repeated on each tile.
  • elohim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    elohim vertex
    @Maximum-DevMaximum-Dev said:
    Micro / generic details should be fine. But you can also apply variations in colors, roughness etc. in world space i.e for the floor and so the details wouldn't be repeated on each tile.
    Ok, I think I get, but with the variations in world space do you mean to make those variations inside unreal, like having a second material with higher/lower roughness ,and with vertex paint I think it is, give it that variation? I hope I am explaining myself correctly.

Thanks!!
  • Maximum-Dev
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Have a look at the function I shared here and see how it works.
    It should definitely help you getting started with world space variations.
    http://polycount.com/discussion/comment/2564643/#Comment_2564643

That function is designed to only introduce color variation, so it will work on your Albedo. But you can go crazy with it really.
    I hope that helps.
  • elohim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    elohim vertex
    Wow, yeah that'll definitely help, thanks so much!!!
  • elohim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    elohim vertex
    Hi, 
    So after a few intense weeks at work I finally got some spare time to restart working on the lighting of the scene. Been doing some research on the IES lights and they look quite interesting, but first I want to see what I can do with the default lights from unreal. 
    So this is my progress so far

I think it's getting there, but I am having some trouble, some light "seams" appear on the floor, I am not sure why this is happening They are modular pieces that need to better match one another but I don't understand why one is lighter then the next one.

Also I've been having issues with the pieces snapping together, looks like I will need to do some adjustments to the geo.

• Maximum-Dev
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think this thread might help you.
    https://forums.unrealengine.com/showthread.php?46269-Modular-Asset-Lighting-Problem

There are so many discussions about this so googling with help you a lot there.
  • elohim
  • heyeye
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    heyeye polycounter lvl 6
    Here's a great series on Lighting in UE4. Lot of useful information on static/dynamic setups and just overall workflows when someone starts to light a scene. It also talks about lightmaps and seam issues in the 2nd session.

And here's his thread on the UE4 forums: 

https://forums.unrealengine.com/showthread.php?134195-Unreal-4-Lighting-Academy-or-something-like-that-)