Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Photogrammetry Textures

Replies

• Sebvhe
    Offline / Send Message
    Sebvhe greentooth
    Hi @marwan568

I'd recommend to shoot top down pictures, that's what work best with such surfaces. Make sure each picture overlap with the previous one by at the very least 50%. The tricky part is going to be the tiling.
    As for the snow/puddles, I just played a bit with the pbr maps once the texture was done.
  • Maximum-Dev
    Hi man,

I'm using one of your Gumroad packs for our WW2 game. The muddy tire tracks are fantastic. I can feel all the hard work. Very helpful thread full of useful tips as well. 

Just wanted to pay my respects! :smile:
  • marwan568
    Sebvhe said:
    Hi @marwan568

I'd recommend to shoot top down pictures, that's what work best with such surfaces. Make sure each picture overlap with the previous one by at the very least 50%. The tricky part is going to be the tiling.
    As for the snow/puddles, I just played a bit with the pbr maps once the texture was done.
    Thanks
  • Sebvhe
    Offline / Send Message
    Sebvhe greentooth
    Hi man,

I'm using one of your Gumroad packs for our WW2 game. The muddy tire tracks are fantastic. I can feel all the hard work. Very helpful thread full of useful tips as well. 

You have no idea how good it feels to read such comments, thanks so much!
    Is there a way I could see the tyre tracks in action without NDA issues? I rarely get to see what people do with my materials, I'd be really curious :smile:
  • Maximum-Dev
    Sebvhe said:
    Hi man,

You have no idea how good it feels to read such comments, thanks so much!
    Is there a way I could see the tyre tracks in action without NDA issues? I rarely get to see what people do with my materials, I'd be really curious :smile:
    Yes I can take some pictures of your material in engine.
    Please PM me if I didn't PM you in 24 hours.  :)
    Sometimes I even forget to breath for half an hour.
  • Sebvhe
    Offline / Send Message
    Sebvhe greentooth
    Hi guys, it has been a long time without updates!

I finally bought a new camera, my previous cheap Canon 100D definitely was the bottleneck of my workflow. I spared no expenses and purchased a Sony A7RII, I just can't really realize yet how much better it is!
    So here you go, first scan with the new camera, I went from 18Mp to 42,2 allowing me to now bake my textures at 8K res!
    Marmoset Viewer here

I cannot wait for the week end to go outside and scout for some new scans, assuming weather allows it!
    Let me know what you guys think! :smile:
  • Sebvhe
    Offline / Send Message
    Sebvhe greentooth
    Hey guys!

I made two new scans. I'm hoping I can do some more soon :smile:
    It's just amazing how close I can get and still retain details!

Furthermore, I started building a quick scene, using my textures. It is inspired by the region of Lofoten in Norway.
    All the rocks and landscape use the same rock texture. Using the heightmap from my scans at a larger scale really helps bringing those mid-freq details that are so hard to get in a landscape. On top of that, the rock texture actually tiles over the landscape giving, me a much higher texture resolution than a classic large scale texture.

I'll try to not drag that project too long, the purpose is to show that using photogrammetry textures as a way to build environments and not only to texture is both fast and good looking.
    It took me a while to figure out the landscape, but the foreground rocks were created and fully in-engine in less than 30 minutes.

Looking forward to your feedbacks :smile:
  • Sebvhe
    Offline / Send Message
    Sebvhe greentooth
    Hey guys!

It has been a while, hasn't it?  :)
    But I haven't been idle. I have recently created some scanned materials for Quixel Megascans. You can find more screenshots here : https://www.artstation.com/artwork/w2x0g
    I'm really looking forward to see what scene people create with those!

• Apocrs1980
    Offline / Send Message
    Apocrs1980 polycounter lvl 4
    I would also add that Bitmap2material is an excellent program for converting photos in to fully tileable materials.
  • MaceSkywind
    Offline / Send Message
    MaceSkywind polycounter lvl 2
    Thank you for the tutorial, I know it's not new but none the less :) I have a couple of questions if you don't mind.

How big a surface area do you usually scan?
    Is there a certain distance that you find optimal from the subject and yourself? (how close do you usually stand when scanning?)
    I'm your tutorial I see you took some shots slightly angled, is that on purpose? 

• Sebvhe
    Offline / Send Message
    Sebvhe greentooth
    @MaceSkywind : Thanks a lot! I have been considering updating my tutorial, but I haven't found the time do it yet. Anyway the core workflow is still very up to date.
    • How big of a surface depends, on what you want to do with it and how much detail you want to capture. There is no real limit. However I usually stick to roughly 2x2m for most materials, a bit more for rocks to get more features in.
    • There is no optimal distance, the closer you'll get, the more detail you'll get, but also the more pictures you'll have to take to cover it all, and it can add up quickly. It also depends on your camera's focal length. Mine has a very wide angle so I have to get very close, I'd say about 50cm to get enough details for the resolution I'm aiming for.
    • By slightly angled shots do you mean that it's not exactly 90 degrees perpendicular top down? If so, it probably was to avoid getting my feet in the shots. If you mean having some overalls shots that are not top down, it's something I don't really do anymore as it tends to do more harm than good because of reflections at such angles.

Hope it helps!  :)
  • MaceSkywind
    Offline / Send Message
    MaceSkywind polycounter lvl 2
    Thank you for the swift response, that pretty much answered everything I had on my mind for now :) I did stumble on the other thread regarding a new tutorial while looking for information. I hope you get around to it. 
  • Sebvhe
    Offline / Send Message
    Sebvhe greentooth
    Hey Guys!

The new Beta version of Quixel Mixer has been released last week. So I spent some time this weekend revisit my Medieval Megascans, it is an incredibly powerful tool!
    I have some more on this ArtStation post : https://www.artstation.com/artwork/D4AGo

Also, many more new scans to come very soon :wink: