Home Career & Education

How much would you charge for mentoring?

MitchNew
vertex
Offline / Send Message
MitchNew vertex
I was curious about the usual cost of having a private mentor/tutor, my guess is around $500 for one month.

Replies

• CrackRockSteady
    I would think the answer would be dependent on how much time the mentor/tutor is devoting to this every month, as well as what sort of expertise the person brings to the table.
  • RyanB
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    People are paying $50,000 a year for school.  That's for eight months assuming two four month semesters so add another $25,000 for a full year.

$75,000/12 = $6,250 per month.  $6,250/20 working days = $312.50 per day.  That's what the going rate is for school.
  • Ashervisalis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ashervisalis grand marshal polycounter
    A tutor isn't going to spend all day with you, so it won't be $312 per day!!

I've seen 2 advertisements on Craigslist for tutors, and both of them charged around $25 per hour. Twice a week they'd meet up with you and go over some new techniques, struggles, and give you some guidance. I was baffled they were only charging $25 an hour, as that is extremely cheap, especially for the industry veteran titles they claimed.

Josh Lynch offers a mentoring program which is $450, which includes 1.5 hours weekly for 4 weeks, for one on one time, which comes to $75 per hour.
  • MitchNew
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MitchNew vertex

I've seen 2 advertisements on Craigslist for tutors, and both of them charged around $25 per hour. Twice a week they'd meet up with you and go over some new techniques, struggles, and give you some guidance. I was baffled they were only charging $25 an hour, as that is extremely cheap, especially for the industry veteran titles they claimed.

Josh Lynch offers a mentoring program which is $450, which includes 1.5 hours weekly for 4 weeks, for one on one time, which comes to $75 per hour.
    That's not bad actually, I was curious about how much some would consider paying/offering for tutoring considering that CG spectrum is advertising 800 per month for one on one tutoring/classes which I kinda find... pricey although I understand that the people they got are people who worked on top rated and beloved films, though, 800 a month is... well more fit for someone who has been making more than a living wage. I personally can afford their program as a server in a restaurant especially if I started working full-time which I don't love my job that much to do.

But I've done some math and realized that not many people can afford to throw $800 at a tutor.
    $450 definitely sounds like a steal opportunity compared to CG spectrum, even if it's just for learning how to make and render materials.
  • RyanB
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That's dirt cheap.  A typical plumber or electrician is going to charge $100 an hour for their services.  When I worked as an electrician the company charged us out at $108.75 per hour.  The best painter I've ever met also charged $100 an hour.

$450 for six hours is closer to what it should be for a professional.
  • Kevin Albers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kevin Albers polycounter lvl 18
    100$/hour, or more. Personal mentors are for the wealthy, and wealthy people should have to pay reasonable rates. People who don't want to pay decently can teach themselves and post on forums, like the rest of us humble humans.
  • ambelamba
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ambelamba polycounter lvl 6
    Well, if I were a good artist with good skills I wouldn't charge that much. Probably $30/hour, 3 hours on weekends. Of course, I would accept group sessions so if I would mentor 2~3 students I would charge $25/hour per person. But why would I?

I always feel like I owe a lot to the society. That would be my small way to pay it forward.

(Of course, it would take years for me to be proficient in modeling and texturing alone.)