Home General Discussion

What content do you want to see on the front page?

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
stickadtroja polycounter lvl 11

Replies

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [Deleted User] insane polycounter
    Dont care
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Two Listen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Two Listen polycount sponsor
    Dont care
    Can we get this thread front paged?  huehuehue

Seriously, 0 shits given here.  My bookmark to polycount is http://polycount.com/forum, I hardly ever see the front page.  Used to be that's where I went as the first step to finding some new Quake 3 skins, where'd that go?!  >:(

• Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Skewed poll is skewed, haha. 

Where's the option that includes both 1 and 2?
  • lotet
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lotet hero character
    Only content related to game art or games; work of high quality, useful tutorials, threads discussing workflows and techniques etc
    of course valluemeal is the one person who voted for option 2 :)

@Eric Chadwick  - dosnt option 2 include everything from option 1 as well though? (but I agree its written in a kind of passive aggressive way)
  • radiancef0rge
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    radiancef0rge ngon master
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Skewed poll is skewed, haha. 

Where's the option that includes both 1 and 2?
    New poll idea:

Is Eric a jerk?
    1. Yes, he's the worst.
    2. No, he's an asshole.
    3. I don't mind that he's a jerk.
    Seriously though, this is a loaded and pointless poll.
  • Klawd
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Klawd polycounter lvl 7
    Dont care
    @stickadtroja Hope you realize that this is a biased poll. What meaning or weight can any outcome of this have? All the replies and upvotes in the original thread you started weren't enough for you to understand what the community thinks?
  • stickadtroja
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    stickadtroja polycounter lvl 11
    Only content related to game art or games; work of high quality, useful tutorials, threads discussing workflows and techniques etc
    yes i agree. my bias is clearly shown in the second option. i realized as soon as i made it. but i couldnt edit the poll options? how do you do that?

anyway, this poll wouldnt matter anyway. the other thread showed that you mods dont care about the front page, having no problem with a thread being put there only to be mocked, and no poll is going to change that.

guess i just make the bookmark into polycount/forum :neutral:

peace yall. lock thread and whatever
  • Amsterdam Hilton Hotel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Amsterdam Hilton Hotel insane polycounter
    Anything, including inside jokes, funny pictures, threads to be mocked etc
    the other thread showed that you mods dont care about the front page, having no problem with a thread being put there only to be mocked, and no poll is going to change that.
    lighten up fellow poster, roll a joint or something... the polycount front page isn't some critical social institution, occasional funny posts aren't worth a meltdown. framing it negatively or positively is completely your choice.
  • Jakub
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jakub interpolator
    I am a firm believer that if you art is good, people will notice, with or without the front page.

I did not really get mad/jelous/hurt etc. when I saw the "fun" post on the main page, but I usually go there to see some cool and useful stuff, thus voting for option 1.
  • frmdbl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    frmdbl polycounter
    Yeah, I don't mind occasional funny stuff on the front page,
    I'm not sure people will always notice good stuff, especially when it's just a post with some interesting technique
    or a small script,  but of course that's just how it is.

There could be a plus (+) based system, where a post would appear on the front page after reaching a
    given number, perhaps with additional staff picks.
  • Fansub
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fansub sublime tool
    I would have picked both, this poll is too biased imho and doesn't give room for more options.

The problem lies withing balance.
    If "inside jokes" threads outnumber the actual valuable resource content then we should all be concerned (and participate more by helping the mods here and there whenever we can), but that's not the case in here, you might have 300 useful features and only 5 non-useful.

Seriously, why are people taking this so seriously ? y'all might die tomorrow, go make art or do shit that you like instead of debating about a post making the frontpage.

Thanks Mr.Skeltal btw

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [Deleted User] insane polycounter
    Dont care
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • VelvetElvis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    VelvetElvis polycounter lvl 12
    Dont care
    Polycount is a free page and done is most folks' free time. I don't care what is on the front page. If this was a paid service geared towards industry exposure and getting employment, then sure the shitposts don't belong on the front page.

You know if you see something on the front page that you don't like, don't fucking click on it. Go to another thread and get on with your life. Jesus Tap Dancing Christ!
  • Kevin Albers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kevin Albers polycounter lvl 18
    I never visit the front page. I'm not sure why I would ever want to. I usually focus on the general discussion forum, so I can read about what people think about the front page. I'm post-modern.
  • Obscura
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Obscura grand marshal polycounter
    Now its all stuck in a quote...
    There is this bug or what, when you write something but you don't send it and you delete it and you leave the thread and you come back, its still there. I know you can save it empty or something but there is also the one when you quote and you delete it and you cant get out from the quite. I originally didn't want to sent my thing, I changed my mind.

Anyways, Kevin, best comment so far about this whole topic haha.

Was GD always like this? 
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I've got the strangest boner right now.
  • Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    Dont care
    doot doot
  • ambelamba
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ambelamba polycounter lvl 6
    Can we just have 3D and 2D art as long as they are good, regardless they are related to game art or not? 
  • sacboi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sacboi high dynamic range
    ...LOLz

FWIW there's enough pretty pic's pinned too the front page, that a tinny little shit post aint gonna mess with yer hoy paloy 'arty' crowd's sentiments much.

...although could be waaay off base here?!
  • Tekoppar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tekoppar polycounter lvl 10
    Would it be possible to implement a tag system when people report content for the front page? So we could filter out things people don't want to see?  So if a person just wanted to see art he would just uncheck news & jokes.
  • VelvetElvis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    VelvetElvis polycounter lvl 12
    Dont care
    This is too big of a mystery for me, I think we need to call in the Hardly Boys and have them solve the case of the front page shitpost.

• pmiller001
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pmiller001 greentooth
    front page could use more baking recipes and workout routines. 
  • Obscura
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Technical talk is full of with baking recipes that a lot of people doesn't notice...
  • sacboi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sacboi high dynamic range
    ...personally those tech talk baking recipes make for some insightful reading but workout routines....hmm maybe not such a bad idea, come too think of it :)
  • musashidan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    musashidan high dynamic range
    front page could use more baking
    If I have to read one more post about people's f##king baking issues........
  • danr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danr interpolator
    I think there should be more featured work which looks like an 8 year old did it ... but when you look closely you'll see it wasn't an 8 year old, but an adult! An actual adult! Probably got learning difficulties and everything! Tee hee!
  • Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    Dont care
    what about memes ?
  • Obscura
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Then you could put drunk posts as well.