Home Animation Showcase & Critiques

D.Va Highlight Intro Master Copy

polycounter lvl 3
Offline / Send Message
Dezmond polycounter lvl 3
Here I copied one of D.Va's highlight Intros. My goal is for this to be the intro to my next demoreel. Most of my animation experience is in 2D. I am not new to 3D, but I am new to animating characters in 3D. Overwatch is an inspiration. This project was not too ambitious, but the polycount community is professional and I would love to know how you all would have taken this to the next level.

Source:

This is me. Instead of having a dope mech, I jump into a desk, with my weapons of choice.

Untextured model:

(I originally rendered this aesthetically, for instagram.)

I would love critique on the animation and model.

Replies

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [Deleted User] insane polycounter
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • JordanN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JordanN interpolator
    My suggestions.

1.  Have the character's eyes blink. Either when running or at the very end when looking into the camera. 
    2. It could be an aesthetic choice, but have you looked into motion blur? Doesn't have to be anything too crazy, but for a high speed scene like that, it could add more visual impact. 
    3. This may be just a nitpick, but when the camera pulls back, is it clipping through the monitor/desk? I know it's meant to be inspired by the same D.Va animation, but for practical purposes, I would think of the camera like a live action one. How would a cameraman get his camera through the table? 
  • Dezmond
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dezmond polycounter lvl 3
    @JordanN Appreciated! I welcome nitpicks. I knew there was something about my camera I didn't like, but I knew I liked Overwatch's.
    I'm seeing what your saying though.

@TeriyakiStyle Most Appreciated, man.

• AnthonyAnimation
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AnthonyAnimation greentooth
    Welcome! Thanks for sharing. A few notes- using other work as inspiration is great, copying is a a good tool for learning. Copying with the purpose of using it on your reel is generally frowned upon. I would recommend doing a similar intro, but adding your own personality.  With that being said, here are some notes-

D.Va is a very light/agile character with a lot of spunk, which is why she runs with a bunch of motion in the arms, I'm not sure it fits your character as much.

In the D.va intro the camera is parented to her so your eye has something to focus on and her torso isn't moving all over the place. Track the arcs and movement in your shot.

Since you hold the final pose for quite some time I'd recommend making it more dynamic and moving the monitors slightly so you can see more of the character.

If he jumps off frame, I'd like to see him in the air and land. Right now it looks as though he comes back into frame already in his final pose.

If you'd like a more detailed breakdown I'd recommend using Syncsketch.

I look forward to an update, good luck!
  • Einar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Einar polycounter lvl 5
    It's a pretty cool idea and really fun, i especially like the fact that you're using yourself, it's new and fresh.

Seeing as it'll be the intro to your reel, you're running a big risk however. Think about it, you limit yourself to always having this one first even though you have a better one, meaning that you wont show your best work first. It's something i would love as an intro in a youtube video, but find very scary for a portfolio piece.

Since it's a portfolio piece these things has to be considered:

Does the cameramovement look like it's trying to hide something? Most people when they view your piece in a portfolio setting will look at your body mechanics first. In this context we never see your legs hit the ground, so it's really hard to see what's going on, zoom out.

The jump: See how D.va stops a whole lot of frames right before she jumps? This is to emphasis the fact that she will jump very high, and is aiming at something. Your character just kindoff dissapear. Give your eyes time to follow what your character is doing.

Camerawork: As said before, we don't really see what's going on. Try to keep the camera a bit further away from the character.
    Another detail you might have missed, is that D.va's "Cameraman" is a character in the shot. Look how when D.va jumps up, he's like, Wow where did she go, and looks up to see where she jumps, only to see a giant robot land infront of him, so he dodges away, then the makes a snappy zoom to focus on the character inside the robot., and everything freezes ike he took a picture. Get more of that action in your shot. What is the cameraman doing while your character is jumping away.

Ending frame. I think your character is kinda awkwardly looking at the camera in the end, like "Hey you gona take the picture soon? Try to mimmick the zoom picture effect, by freezing your character, or have some more acting in the last shot. It could be funny with something like a "Oh i didn't see you there cameraman, i've been sitting here studying this whole time".

Again the shot is very fun, the only reason i'm this harsh is because it's your opening to your reel so it has to be darn freaking amazing. Good luck dude and great work.