Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

My failed art test - the column

Notte
polycounter lvl 3
Offline / Send Message
Notte polycounter lvl 3
A few months ago I submited my art test and it went sooo wrong :) nonetheless I decided to redo this test (this time for my portfolio purpose). Not from the scratch - I still had a base but I changed a lot.
I am aware of flaws. it's far from perfect but now it's time to finish it. Renders are just quick preview in SP Iray
Any critique is welcome!

and topology:
(not final render! :))

Replies

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [Deleted User] insane polycounter
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Notte
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Notte polycounter lvl 3
    I've done it from scratch in 3ds max and zbrush - I've should mention that. Then I made a textures in Substance Painter. I used a texture from the Substance Source. There is no photogrammetry but texture was really nice so probably that's why you think it was scanned :)

Test with different hdr in SP:

Sculpt isn't fancy but here you are:

• BarbaraWitkowska
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nice piece of work. How did you make acanthus leaves? Poly modeling in 3dsMax or sculpting in ZBrush?
  • slosh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slosh hero character
    This looks pretty fantastic to me.  Did you have reference?  My only crit might be the ornate leaf area at the top feels a bit of a stretch to be chiseled from stone like that.  I do think what you have here looks really nice.  Is this already a vast improvement from what you turned in as your test?  I wouldn't mind seeing the difference.
  • PixelGoat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelGoat polycounter lvl 12
    I say this looks pretty great :)
    Can we see the "failed" one aswell?
  • sainarayan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sainarayan null
    If this is a failed attempt I feel quite intimidated.  :s

Was this for a senior level position? Cause it does look quite good to me. 
  • Nam.Nguyen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nam.Nguyen polycounter lvl 9
    Looks good to me,  I guess everybody wants to see the failed one, either you did something really wrong with it, or they just find somebody else that they think is more fit for the job
  • Prime8
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Prime8 interpolator
    yes show the failed one :)
    This one looks very good, though I wonder if the fragile tips of the leave would still be there considering the overall weathering on the column.
    Would make the thicker or brake them off, some at least.
  • Notte
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Notte polycounter lvl 3
    Sorry for late response, I had to make a small recovery after this project.
    I am not sure what is happening here :) Thank you all for nice words! :)
    In fact, I'm just starting with game modelling and I made this with hope to get my first game dev job.
    @BarbaraWitkowska
    I started those acants in Max with smooth geometry then proceed to Zbrush, made some adjustments there and back to Max to maintain good geometry. I think it's the same workflow as with your awesome ornaments :)

@slosh
    Yes, I had references. With the old project, I think I had too many with new version I try to stick with 3-4.
    You are right leaf area is definitely off. I feel bad about it but it's time to move on I think. In heart, I want to be character artist so next I'll focus on that :)

@sainarayan
    Don't feel bad! My first attempt was a total disaster. Look below!
    It's done just to get into the industry.

@Nam.Nguyen
    It was me doing test completely wrong. I don't blame them at all :D

@Prime8
    You are 100% right about those tips. If I had a second (third) chance I would do it better :wink:

@PixelGoat
    Ok, I'll show old piece. At least with this post title I am obligated to be fair and show it.

But keep in mind. It was in March and it was my first Substance Painter project. I was also struggling with baking maps and actually everything. I was so silly to send my application without that knowledge :/

• Larry
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Larry interpolator
    So for the first try the pieces were made in 3ds max and you added a texture? Or did you just slightly sculpt some creases that i see in the leaves? It would be good knowledge for amateurs that would potentially want to join the industry, to know what you did in the "failed" case"
  • Notte
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Notte polycounter lvl 3
    In 3ds max and slightly sculpted in zbrush. Too slightly. I was thinking about small cracks, not about overall aging. And the texture was almost basic material from SP. The best advice I would give to myself is to be bolder with sculpting and texturing. But I still don't consider myself as a pro.
  • Larry
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Larry interpolator
    Have you found a job in the industry? Professionalism is when you start making money out of something. 
  • Maxilator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Maxilator polycounter lvl 8
    There is quite a bit of waviness around the edges of the cylinder. 
  • Notte
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Notte polycounter lvl 3
    @Larry
    just started so not yet.. In my opinion earning is not enough to be called profesional

@Maxilator
    yes I know, that's the old one :)
  • radiancef0rge
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    radiancef0rge ngon master
    Post wireframe of the whole mesh. 
  • Notte
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Notte polycounter lvl 3

You can find whole model in Marmoset Viewer on my Artstation