Home Career & Education

It's the college requested as an Environment Artist

Hello Polycount, I finished the high school last month and I have to decide now where I have to go to the college. But now poops up the question in my mind: Is it worthing to stay 3/4 years in a college and pay to learn something you can learn by yourself?

Ok, I'm not telling that I can't be taught or I know everything, I'm just questing myself if it's worthing.

You as an environment artist, did you make any college?

It's an industry where you need more imagination than knowledge.

Thank you, and I'm waiting for answers and suggestions, and if it's really requested... tell me some good colleges that worth these years.

Replies

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [Deleted User] insane polycounter
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • JordanN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JordanN interpolator
    I honestly find 4 years of college to be extremely scary. Schools charge a lot of money per year, and they're not responsible for landing you a job when the program is over.

Probably the smartest thing I've done in my life was when I did quit a 3 year game program. I still have debt now but it's only $2000 worth and it's all from paying for 3D packages and computer parts. Whereas I hear horror stories of people who finish school and have $25,000 in debt. 

That's money that could buy you an apartment next to your dream studio, and when you finish your portfolio and get hired, you would still have an insane amount of money leftover to spend it on anything.
  • Semi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Semi triangle
    3d related studies are usually not that useful, since they are really expensive. It can be worth it but I'd say it really depends on the school. Look at what people coming out of that school are doing and if they found job, and get as much information as you can. If its too expensive, try checking for a fine arts degree while doing 3D on the side. Good luck!
  • HyperDeception
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you so much everybody! The decision I made right now is to skip it, to work on portfolio a lot, and work on CV and things. I know many people in game developing industries, and I have enough knowledge in creating 3D Assets (youtube was my source) and to be game-ready. Anyway, thank you! I should be done with portfolio right now, but the stress of finishing the high school and going to college made me fed up of art.
  • Ashervisalis
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    Ashervisalis grand marshal polycounter
    Your portfolio is coming along nicely! Keep practicing and I don't think you'll need to drop $35,000 on schooling.
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm going to be a bit contrary here, but a non-technical, liberal arts education is very much in your best interest. The value of a college education is in expanding your mind.

You would think, this can't have any practical application in the employment world. But an expanded and fine-honed mind is essential when it comes time to solve difficult problems. Which will increase as you progress upwards in your career.

Sure, some can self-teach. But it's pretty rare to find those who've been able to get the equivalent education in their own.
  • NicolasKruzel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NicolasKruzel polycounter lvl 2
    I graduate with my B.A. in Interactive Media with my specialization being environmental game art in a semester. I can say that I think it is worth it. You'll meet peers and professors who will help you and help make you a better person and artist. Your portfolio is already better then most third years I know, just work on topology and texturing more. One thing I MUST stress, you will learn a lot of this industry on your own, working in your room or in the lab. Work hard, and don't expect the college to teach you everything you need, because you need to be on the top of your game teaching yourself at the same time.
  • Bedrock
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bedrock polycounter lvl 10
    According to your artstation you are from Romania is that still the case? Are you planning to relocate? 

If education is anything like in Hungary (where I'm from), it's a massive waste of time. We still have an extremely outdated Soviet Union style educational model that will do very little for a game art career. Projects don't exist, art history every fucking day and not a single word regarding portfolios, CV, job hunting, etc. 

I would aim for a projects/employment focused course that's English only. A course that has a proven track record at getting people into the industry. If you can find that in Romania that's more than fortunate, but if not then find a place in Europe. I studied in the UK but since I graduated it has become by far the most expensive option in terms of living and semester prices. If you don't want to relocate then put your money to 3dmotive/eat3d/gumroad and just aim to get a job within 6-12 months.  
  • Larry
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Larry interpolator
    You will progress slower but more steadily in a college. For example I learned by myself in 6 months what is taught in 2 years on college. However I havent practised as much. And BOY it is so frustrating when you try to find an answer by yourself. But in the end you have solid knowledge by yourself. I guess both ways are fine, but if u want to learn solo, you will definatwlly need very strong problem solving skills and test your ability to commit since nobody is pressuring you. Sometimes I wish I had a mentor but pluralsight is a very cheap and very good site to learn, with 30$ per month