Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

30 heads in 30 days.

Replies

• apllana
    Offline / Send Message
    apllana polycounter lvl 8
    revisited day 1 & 9 for some 30mins each, still can't figure out what I am missing. if anyone has any suggestions I'd love to hear them!

and day 10:

• ruebenDodds
    Offline / Send Message
    ruebenDodds polycounter lvl 11
    Still working away with the head sculpt for myself. But I thought I would try a different approach to it this time. So day 8 head sculpt I have decided to do a breakdown of the head like @pangaea did on her day 3 for myself. I got reference for the skull and look at planes of the head to work where to push out and define the shape a bit more. I have used the new basemesh from @pior which I keep at the first subdivision for most of the sculpt. Below is the breakdown of the head reference for day 8:

Here is the result of the hour sculpt for that male head sculpt.

• stororokw
    Offline / Send Message
    stororokw polycounter lvl 3
    @apllana
    I cant offer any critics, but it looks good to me. I was wondering if you are rendering with BPR or something else?
    day 9:

• ruebenDodds
    Offline / Send Message
    Day 9 sculpt trying the new approach again. Below is breakdown of the head reference again:

Got myself to good start with first subdivision with some time left over. Here is the result:

Which then I did subdivision then try to start definite some more of the forms. But I have notice the mouth and need to maybe think about put in an eyeball in case I need it. Below is the sculpt with one subdivision on it:

• stororokw
    Offline / Send Message
  • cician08
    Offline / Send Message
    cician08 polycounter lvl 6
    Here is my head 10 /day 10 * (day 3 for me) 
    It seems so strange without hair (like always).  for this one I stay a bit longer, about 20 min .. and still not so happy.  Looking now, I realized that the neck is too large..

@apllana I think  is  better to upload the other 2 views ... side  and front  in order to see more.
  • pior
    Online / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Heya all -

A hint : in order to capture a likeness/accurate forms, one of the first thing to do is to train yourself to recognise the kind of lens that reference pictures were taken with. Not all 3DSK pictures are the same in that regard (some are telephoto, some are closeups) meaning that the lens value to input in your 3d program to match the ref will not always be the same.

Now of course if you are using Zbrush you're out of luck (since it doesn't have proper perspective, despite what some people hope/wish/claim) - but at the very least the ortho view in Zbrush is somewhat similar to infinitely long telephoto.

So in short : if the refs are telephoto (that is to say : long lens = narrow FOV = "paparazzi picture"), hitting the likeness in Zbrush will be relatively easy in ortho mode. But if the ref is wide angle (like a picture taken with a camera phone, relatively close to the subject like when casually talking to someone at arm's length) then it will be hard since there will be no way to precisely replicate this context in Zbrush.

Also pay close attention to the location of the horizon line in the reference pictures.

I hope this helps !
  • andropof
    Offline / Send Message
    andropof polycounter lvl 3
    Day 6 using day 8 references...i'm not very happy with this one
  • Elithenia
    Offline / Send Message
    Elithenia polycounter
    Day 11 photos:

• Elithenia
    Offline / Send Message
    Elithenia polycounter
    realising I'm a day behind now :( 
    Got too caught up in sculpting another head outside this :S 

Day 10 model:

• stororokw
    Offline / Send Message
    Catching up.
    day 10:

day 11:
  • apllana
    Offline / Send Message
    @stororokw, I find the direction you are taking with all your heads to be very accurate but much too subtle. the transformation you make to the basemesh looks like it's spot on but the travel distance is so little that it makes all of them look very much alike at the same time. it's as if you hit the likeness to perfection but then you dial it back 50%. I'd love to see what 100% looks like. btw my renders are basic matcap gray + bpr.

@Elithenia, great job on day 10, I think you did a much better job at capturing the asymmetry than I have.

• Elithenia
    Offline / Send Message
    Elithenia polycounter
    Thank you @apllana :)
    I would love to see some more views of your sculpts
  • Elithenia
    Offline / Send Message
    Elithenia polycounter
  • Prabh
    Offline / Send Message
    Prabh polycounter lvl 7
    Hello Guys
    I started late but i will try to finish all.
  • Elithenia
  • Prabh
    Offline / Send Message
    Prabh polycounter lvl 7
    Thanks Elithenia
  • cician08
    Offline / Send Message
    Head 11/ Day 11 (day 4) 
    Hope I don't create too much confusion with my type of count head / days.  :) 

• Elithenia
    Offline / Send Message
    Elithenia polycounter
    Day 12 photos:

• Prabh
    Offline / Send Message
    Prabh polycounter lvl 7
    Second day Sculpt
  • apllana
    Offline / Send Message
    changed my render setup to fit more views

• Prabh
    Offline / Send Message
    Prabh polycounter lvl 7
    Here is day 3 sculpt
  • ruebenDodds
    Offline / Send Message
    Here everyone, still catching up due to work. So the result of day 10 head sculpt. I decide for this one to go for it and skipped the breakdown of the reference stage in the end. Also tried using the technique mention to me by @Elithenia on my sketchbook for this one.

• stororokw
    Offline / Send Message
    @apllana
    Thank you for the thoughtful critique. I understand what you mean, but I currently lack the skill and time right now to make an immediate impact. After I finish all the exercises I will study the anatomy and construction of the head to try and fix this problem.

I cant offer you critiques because I think your work/skill level is better, so I will instead ask you a few question.
    • What brushes do you use for the bulk of the time? because I like how clean the topology of your sculpts end up.
    • Which brush do you use for the creases of the eyes?

day 12:
    I tried BPR and the matcap grey material.

• Elithenia
    Offline / Send Message
    Elithenia polycounter
  • almighty_gir
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    stororokw said:
    @apllana
    Thank you for the thoughtful critique. I understand what you mean, but I currently lack the skill and time right now to make an immediate impact. After I finish all the exercises I will study the anatomy and construction of the head to try and fix this problem.

I cant offer you critiques because I think your work/skill level is better, so I will instead ask you a few question.
    • What brushes do you use for the bulk of the time? because I like how clean the topology of your sculpts end up.
    • Which brush do you use for the creases of the eyes?

day 12:
    I tried BPR and the matcap grey material.

Hey man,

Your progress is really good.

I'd like to point out though, that you shouldn't ever feel that you lack the ability to critique anyone else's work, especially on the basis that they're better than you.

You're an artist, or at least you're training to be one. That means you're developing a critical eye, you have a mind for taste and aesthetics. You can see things that other people either don't see, or sometimes miss. And because you are developing this skill, it's important to understand that so are other people, and much like any skill, this can develop at a different rate. You might be able to see things that the person you think is better, has missed.

Finally, being able to critique peoples work effectively is an important skill to have. And there's no better way to practice that, than to analyze the work of your peers and superiors.
  • Elithenia
    Offline / Send Message
    Elithenia polycounter
    Day 13 photos:

• Elithenia
    Offline / Send Message
    Elithenia polycounter
    stororokw said:
    I'd like to point out though, that you shouldn't ever feel that you lack the ability to critique anyone else's work, especially on the basis that they're better than you.

You're an artist, or at least you're training to be one. That means you're developing a critical eye, you have a mind for taste and aesthetics. You can see things that other people either don't see, or sometimes miss. And because you are developing this skill, it's important to understand that so are other people, and much like any skill, this can develop at a different rate. You might be able to see things that the person you think is better, has missed.

Finally, being able to critique peoples work effectively is an important skill to have. And there's no better way to practice that, than to analyze the work of your peers and superiors.
    I couldn't agree more with @almighty_gir

I was in the same position a year ago with Gir. I was afraid to point things out that I saw on the basis that I thought he'd get offended as I wasn't as good as him etc. Turns out he was quite appreciative of getting feedback! Who'd thought? ;)

However, since then I've realised that we're all here to learn, that feedback, no matter from what level it comes from, has merit and can help you improve.
    I may not have many years of experience using 3d, but I have a background in traditional portrait painting, and hence I might pick up things that someone else might have missed. 

The thing that I'd recommend on the topic would probably be to ask if the person would be willing, or even want, to receive some feedback. Sometimes people just want to show their work, and sometimes they are at a stage where they would not be able to go back and fix things on the current model but could take it over to the next model. So, you can always ask if they want to get feedback. if they say yes, you're good to go :) 
  • cician08
    Offline / Send Message
    Head 12/ day 12 
  • Semi
    Offline / Send Message
    Semi triangle
    Though I would hop in. Not the best first try, I think the shape of the face is not quite right, and some places are a bit derpy. Love to know what you think about it, and any tips for eye lids? And Also what are your favourite matcaps? I personnaly like the red chavente and the BasicMaterial. Keep up the good work everybody!
  • Elithenia
    Offline / Send Message
    Elithenia polycounter
    Day 13 model:

made a progress video if that can help anyone
    https://youtu.be/E2CHvDHotCM

• Elithenia
    Offline / Send Message
    Elithenia polycounter
    Welcome @Semi  !
    Good start! Keep on sculpting and checking your reference for the proportions and silhouette.
    Using the flat material can help getting the silhouette in the different angles.

I have about 8 materials that I jump between when I sculpt to get a better view or different perspective. I've made a few of my own that goes with what I want them to show for my work, but I quite like zbros matcaps as well as fatmiris grey metal
  • Semi
    Offline / Send Message
    Semi triangle
    @Elithenia Alright I'll take a look at those, thank you!
  • apllana
    Offline / Send Message
    @stororokw hey man, feel free to give your input if you notice anything slightly off, regardless of your skill level. I almost always spot some problematic area when I look back at these sculpts with fresh eyes and can barely resist the urge to revisit them. feedback is always valuable, especially in threads like this.

to answer your questions, I'd say I spend 80% of the time just pushing vertices around with the Move and Move Topological brushes, even after delving into the subdivision level where I sculpt details with Standard and Dam Standard. I also make heavy use of layers and morph targets and blend between them to get what I want. you can split your basemesh into polygroups to make adjusting difficult areas such as eye lids, nostrils and lips easier.

anyway this is day 13. not so sure about this one, found it pretty difficult

• Prabh
    Offline / Send Message
    Prabh polycounter lvl 7
    Here is 4th day sculpt
  • cician08
    Offline / Send Message
  • Elithenia
    Offline / Send Message
    Elithenia polycounter
    A few things I can recommend:
    - Always work in perspective mode.... it is very seldom you'll work in ortographic mode, but it does happen. I find it rarely happens to me though.
    - Use move and move topological brush as long as you can, trying to get the forms first, then start using the other brushes to refine those forms (I prefer to use clay/clay buildup at a lower intensity when I work) but you'll find your way
    - Only go up in subD when you cannot push the verts around to get the shape you want/need. When you start getting jagged lines or edges that's when it is time to move up. But don't just rush into sub dividing it as soon as you can. 
    - Do try to put eyes in the model, as it will help you find your landmarks
  • Elithenia
    Offline / Send Message
    Elithenia polycounter
    Day 14 photos:

• ruebenDodds
    Offline / Send Message
    Day 11 head I did go over the time a little bit by 10 mins. But I still need to do the other heads for the rest of the days for myself. I loving all the tips and advice so far from everyone. 

• cician08
    Offline / Send Message
  • ruebenDodds
    Offline / Send Message
    Day 12 head sculpt of the kid, but I feel like I not getting the corner of the fold for the head this sculpt. I might need to maybe do a quick 30 minutes sculpt before on the things that I like could be the issue from previous sculpt. But critique or feedback is welcome.

• Elithenia
    Offline / Send Message
    Elithenia polycounter
    Because I'll be on a plane when you normally get the photos, you'll get them a bit early today :)

Day 15 photos:

• Elithenia
    Offline / Send Message
    Elithenia polycounter
    Since I'm rushing off to catch a plane, this had to be quicker... so less accurate :s
    Managed to get 35 mins though

Day 14: model

• Prabh
  • Prabh
    Offline / Send Message
    Prabh polycounter lvl 7
    hey Guys
    here is quickly did the 6th day sculpt to match up the speed.
  • Semi
    Offline / Send Message
    Semi triangle
    Forgot about it yesterday so im one more day behind. Im dividing too early, and my try at adding hair kinda messed up the model x) Well, I guess Ill just fail faster and slowly get better. Need to check my proportions more I think. 
  • apllana
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks @Elithenia for posting the photos in such a timely manner. great sculpt as always!

• ruebenDodds
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks @Elithenia for the presentation psd file and posting the photos for the thread. Your sculpts are looking great!! :wink: Here is my day 13 head I went 5 minutes over to try break symmetry on the eyelid and the eyebrow to see what it looks like. Will try to do the other two heads before placing all the head sculpts altogether in the presentation psd file in order to see my progression so far. Definitely enjoying the develop of everyone sculpt so far. 

• Elithenia
    Offline / Send Message
    Elithenia polycounter
    @apllana Thank you :)@ruebenDodds you're welcome, and thank you :)

you guys are improving a lot!
    Can't wait to see the final result, and see it next to the first model :)

I think it is leaning towards a 'bonus' sculpt when we're done, for number 31 - Self portrait :) 
  • stororokw
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for sharing some of your wisdom/experience. I will try to develop it moving forward.
    I guess I just need to remind myself that this forum is meant for learning.
    apllana said:
    Thanks for the advice again. I will try to critique your work if I spot anything strange.

day 14:
    I was trying to use the move brush more in this weeks head.