Home Career & Education

The Agony of learning without a mentor

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
ambelamba polycounter lvl 6
 The last few days were tough, in a way.

My life/work schedules are usually unpredictable, only slightly better than my days as a background actor for TV shows and occasionally movies. And when I have a day off I manage my schedule poorly. I decided to do a project with Modo, but turned out that it's too complicated for a beginner. I fired up Zbrush and used it for a couple of hours. I felt like I was swimming in a swamp, or lost in a zero-gravity environment. Zbrush doesn't behave like I want it to be. :(

Hard surface modeling is...hard for a beginner. And learning Zbrush takes a tremendous amount of time and mileage. I guess I should just practice from easy tutorials from Pluralsight. (yes, I have had a membership for a while.)

I don't have a clear direction. I did sign up for an Intro to 3D Modeling class at a local community college. And they use Maya, and sometimes Zbrush. My goal is to be learn modeling and texturing with some rudimentary rigging skills to pose the models. And I really want to learn hard surface modeling, since I love mecha and vehicles. I do believe that learning CG is incredibly difficult without mentoring. (and that's why I am taking the intro class.) And I am feeling the hardship. Without a clear direction, you can't plan on a clear educational path. I do have a goal, but I have no idea how to get there. 

Since I am supposed to learn modeling with Maya this Fall, should I just concentrate on learning Maya only?

Replies

• Neox
    Online / Send Message
    Neox veteran polycounter
    and yet plenty of us oldtimers went through it without much of the internet you know, no youtube, no gumroad, no gnomon, with luck some tutorials but mostly the handbook of the software of "choice"

don't be a wuss, jump into what you want to do and get better at it, make mistakes, learn from them. 

there is no ONE simple way
  • ZacD
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    This "I need a mentor" threads are very common on 3d art forums. And the simple truth is, you don't. You might learn better in a classroom environment, but you should really start working on being an independent learner, especially for this industry.  

Follow enough tutorials that you are comfortable with the software and can finish a simple asset. If you fully commit and actually work hard at learning, you can pick up the basics of modeling in a month. If you just doodle around, it will take much longer. 

Then work on those dream projects you want to create. Work through those walls and road blocks. You'll be lost, not sure what the best solution is, but once you work through those problems a few times, you'll become faster and better, and be more sure of what you are doing. There's a few big hurdles almost every new 3d artist hits, like UVing and normal maps, but there's plenty of resources online for those types of things. And for 3d, there's a lot of solutions and often no best solution to any given problem or asset. There's no perfect UV layout, at least 4 very different ways of approaching hard surface modeling. You're first few pieces wont be great, but keep looking forwarding knowing that the next one will be better.

• [Deleted User]
    Offline / Send Message
    [Deleted User] insane polycounter
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    ok I'll bite. 

If you have questions, feel free to email me.

b.choi117@gmail.com

Been using Modo for the last year and a half, and I started with Maya.  Pretty sure most of your problems is going to be a workflow issue or concepts you haven't learned yet.

You're not the only old Asian guy on Polycount.

I suppose I have a soft spot.  It's kind of racist.
  • Sk0LLiE
    Offline / Send Message
    Sk0LLiE polycounter
    I think as stated above you need to build a habit of teaching yourself, leveling up without the help of others. Waiting for someone to show you the way, or open up some form of gate for you will lead you to wait around forever. Just get going.

Most of us, myself included have had almost no mentors beyond working with more experienced people on various jobs, and in that environment even, I was not being actively 'helped' I just watched people that where better than me and made a note to learn what they where doing in my own time.
    To expect someone to stop their own progress and put aside large amounts of time to help for little to no reward is just not going to happen the majority of the time unfortunately.

Once again I would really put some effort on building a habit of self learning and relying on yourself. There is a lot of fantastic online content for purchase or even free that you can learn from, using this resource as well as building a group of friends / peers that you can bounce work and ideas off could count for alot.

For personal interaction, you may get a nudge in the right direction now and again by other people, or if you are exceptionally lucky some structured advice and feedback. Anything else would be remarkable. The majority of people on these forums have had little or none of what would be considered a classic mentorship I would guess.

• pior
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    "And I really want to learn hard surface modeling, since I love mecha and vehicles."

Why not aim at becoming a mechanical designer then ? You'll get to be more creative with the subject you love, and you will have no tool barrier to go up against since all you need is pen and paper.
  • ExcessiveZero
    Offline / Send Message
    ExcessiveZero polycounter lvl 6
    I think learning how to teach yourself is actually part of the process, just look at the developments in the past month or so, live booleans in zbrush, mop booleans in modo.

I don't think it is realistic to run back to a mentor or school every time there is a new development in our little world, learning to teach yourself is key.

and no one should or should  have to learn via pluralsite(digitutors), sorry, not sorry lol.
  • Zack Maxwell
    Offline / Send Message
    Zack Maxwell interpolator
    Neox said:
    and yet plenty of us oldtimers went through it without much of the internet you know, no youtube, no gumroad, no gnomon, with luck some tutorials but mostly the handbook of the software of "choice"

don't be a wuss, jump into what you want to do and get better at it, make mistakes, learn from them. 

there is no ONE simple way
    I may have had the Internet starting out, but I didn't make very good use of it. YouTube wasn't a thing, and it didn't really occur to me to look up guides.
    When I started out at 14, I was making models in GMax by literally placing individual vertices, and then connecting them.

I think it's pretty rare for someone to have a "mentor".
    Just watch instructional videos like everyone else.
  • ambelamba
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the input. I think I should stay with Maya for a while because it has the most learning resources out there. After I get enough knowledge in modeling through Maya, then I will fully migrate to Modo eventually.

Yeah, I remember learning MAX back in late 90s. Didn't work out well and I got burned out, so I didn't touch the subject for more than I needed. Anyway, today is my precious day off so I am off to study the tutorials from Pluralsight. Just some very basic Maya stuff.

BTW, what's wrong with Pluralsight? Can you guys enlighten me?

P.S. But...but...but...that Zbrush!
  • Zack Maxwell
    Offline / Send Message
    Zack Maxwell interpolator
    ambelamba said:
    They have a huge selection of videos covering many topics, but their instructors are not very skilled artists. It's only good for learning the bare minimum of how to use a piece of software.
    It's kind of like having a five-year-old teach you how to draw with crayons. They might know how it's functionally done, but you won't make anything good by emulating them.
  • Obscura
    Offline / Send Message
    Obscura grand marshal polycounter
  • Zocky
    Offline / Send Message
    Zocky greentooth
    I think some people, i know that was my case at least, and probably still is to a point, have problems with wanting to learn things like, yesterday.
    You go on artstation, see all the amazing work, and then you are depressed when you see you can't get anything to look even remotely as good. So you loose motivation.

That's why i think, or at least i think it works for me, is to approach things with some sort of plan.
    Ok, i want to first learn modelling. So where do i start? Maybe with viewport navigation, assinging materials to objects, moving objects, etc.  Ok, so i'll spent some time learning it and getting used to it. Ok, so now i have some idea how to do that. What's next...hm, maybe some basic tools. Lets learn how to make primitives. What kind of modes i have (vertex, edge,.....).  Lets spend some time doodling with all this knowledge. Look at few tutorials to get some idea how it can be used.

Basically, focusing on short term goals. Forget artstation, forget all the amazing stuff people do, just focus on your own goals. And when you achieve your short term goal (say, learning extrude tool, in what ways it can be used), or after learning several short term goals like that, try and make small "project", where you put all the knowledge you got, into it.

Zbrush can be a monster, but it's managable.

Check out this channel:

Just go one step at a time. Focus on short termn goals instead of just rushing things, should help a bit at least.

• igi
    Offline / Send Message
    igi polycounter lvl 12
    internet is the best mentor now. when I first started even racer445 tutorial didn't hit to ground.
  • Ashervisalis
    Offline / Send Message
    Ashervisalis grand marshal polycounter
    Even though a lot of people here are saying you don't need a mentor, I'd highly suggest, at least, making some skilled friends. Sending your stuff to other modelers who are your friend (whether on Facebook or irl) will get you more critique than if you just post stuff online. I wouldn't say get a mentor right away, else they'll just become annoyed with the constant 'hey this tool doesn't work right' and 'why can't I bake correctly?'.

To go against the grain of what everybody else is saying, I'm going to say a mentor will give you valued guidance. Sure you can watch tons of tutorials and get better that way, but a mentor would give great guidance and critique in ways that are pretty difficult to figure our or get on your own. I found a friend by making a post on Craigslist who is a senior artist, and he ripped into what I was doing and gave me a more solid direction to work towards.
  • Peris
    Offline / Send Message
    Peris polycounter lvl 17
    ambelamba said:
    Yeah, I remember learning MAX back in late 90s. Didn't work out well and I got burned out, so I didn't touch the subject for more than I needed..
    Serious question: Why do you want to be a modeler? It seems to me that it's not enjoyable to you?
  • ambelamba
    Offline / Send Message
    Peris said:
    ambelamba said:
    Yeah, I remember learning MAX back in late 90s. Didn't work out well and I got burned out, so I didn't touch the subject for more than I needed..
    Serious question: Why do you want to be a modeler? It seems to me that it's not enjoyable to you?
    Don't get me wrong. Sometimes I am lost in pushing polygons, in a good way. But back then the only modeling method I knew was lattice modeling. And of course there was no dedicated source of modeling instructions. 

As for now, modeling is fun as long as they are boxy models with few smooth edges. I mean I am still struggling with sub-D modeling method. At this point I plan to use the rough models as the basis for a finalized 2D drawing. I can draw over the rough meshes and things. That would be fun and great, as long as I get the hang of it. 

The thing I keep forgetting is that I am not advanced enough to do some casual, speed modeling. So I need to plan ahead thoroughly. I get another day off on Friday and will spend the whole day working on the basic forms of a mech I plan to design. Then I will fire up Modo and block out the basic shapes. Come to think of it, that might be a good approach to build up the mileage on modeling stuff. 

P.S. Right now I am watching the Intro to Maya 2017 videos. I think the interface in Maya is a bit clunkier than Modo, but I think I can get used to it. 

@Ashervisalis Yes, I agree. A while ago I asked a related question on Quora and they really emphasized the importance of a mentor. 

@Zocky You are right. I need to crawl before walk.
  • ambelamba
    Offline / Send Message
    For the low low price of $44.00, you can sit through one tutorial (and follow along) and become 90% proficient enough to be a junior hire.  I'd recommend Substance Painter over dDo these days, but it's super intuitive.

https://gumroad.com/simonfuchs

Goodbye, all relevant excuses!
    I will look into it. Thanks.
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Offline / Send Message
    @ambelamba
    Have you instead of focusing on getting a handle on UI, or primitives, endeavored to just make a prop to completion?
  • ambelamba
    Offline / Send Message
    @ambelamba
    Have you instead of focusing on getting a handle on UI, or primitives, endeavored to just make a prop to completion?
    Honestly, not quite. I did follow a couple of tutorials. I think I overestimated myself.
  • aryarie
    Offline / Send Message
    aryarie triangle
    Grimwolf said:
    ambelamba said:
    They have a huge selection of videos covering many topics, but their instructors are not very skilled artists. It's only good for learning the bare minimum of how to use a piece of software.
    It's kind of like having a five-year-old teach you how to draw with crayons. They might know how it's functionally done, but you won't make anything good by emulating them.
    Just wanted to chip in here to kinda agree with this. I started out with Pluralsight and it was very good initially when I had no prior knowledge at all of 3D. I think for teaching you the basics of using the modelling tools it's fine in that case.

HOWEVER.... you need to be wary of some videos on there, because I've been in a situation recently where I was following a series on there that turned out to be full of wrong information. Whatever you decide to do to learn these tools make sure you check out the author of the tutorials. Make sure they've worked in the industry.... find their portfolio etc.
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Offline / Send Message
    @ambelamba
    You should.  Forces you to make something production worthy AND learn your software.  Tools are generally easier to learn than making good art.
  • RyanB
    An apprentice was hired because they can help the journeyman while learning from him.  The apprentice would grind pigments, clean brushes, stretch canvas, make gesso, etc.

This is how it should be done:

http://www.nathanspoor.com/NS_GE_nerdrum.html

Time passed in David’s life with an equal intensity, and with ample reassurance that his path was true. After having moved to Los Angeles to expand his understanding of a more worldly concept of painting, he heard something that pricked every ear of his interest: Odd was taking applications for new apprentices. Any other individual might have discounted it as a lofty rumor, but David was sure that it was the call. The very moment that he heard about this window of opportunity, he was in the actual discourse of investing some positive reinforcement into a fellow artist friend about getting back into painting. This was not irony. This was surely a sign.

David quickly and assuredly set forth to make contact with his distant mentor, sending a wonderful letter along with several pictures of his figurative works to Odd via Forum Gallery. What he received in return would further confirm those intuitions of his artistic visions. There in his stolidly ecstatic hands was a letter from Odd, inviting him to apprentice for a month in the twilight wonderland of an island known as Iceland.

And off he went.

To prepare for the trip, he took in supplies what one would bring for about a month’s stay. Upon arriving at Odd Nerdrum’s Reykjavik studio, David’s duties would mostly consist of figurative modeling, preparing the linen for Odd’s works, and various other studio duties. With the month of August passing quickly and productively, and David’s exhuberance for the situation undwindled against the chilling climate, Odd asked him to stay on through the winter months. David immediately accepted and found some thicker stock clothing in a prop closet to battle the persistent lunar bite and was set for the duration.

Winter months outside of Reykjavik are the treeless desolate sort of scene most akin to night-times on the moon. Odd warmed David up to this reality with the somewhat humorous aphorism, “You have to go into a dark cave to look a small dark flame.” David relates that the actual painting instruction he received from Odd was more of a living walk of discovery than any actual outlining of facts or textbook wisdoms. “If one is eager to absorb,” Molesky muses, “the education comes from watching him paint and listening to his endless cultural anecdotes. Odd usually talks about the problems with Norwegian politics or the Contemporary Art world.” To date Odd has made use of his gift for storytelling by fashioning several of these tales into a forthcoming art book entitled Studio Talk (due out sometime in 2008).

• jewski-bot
    Offline / Send Message
    jewski-bot polycounter lvl 4
    Whatever you do, don't try and make a Transformer.  I'm telling you not for the reasons other people will mention, but from experience.

To make a GOOD Transformer (because let's face reality, most fan made models look like crap), takes a lot of work, a good bit of design knowledge and some technical expertise that goes beyond just modeling (some decent understanding of how mechanical parts work, the ability to construct a simple and reusable rig, and good understanding of materials, etc. are needed).

I think that my biggest problem is that I've been shooting well beyond my skillset to the point where it feels like a hopeless uphill battle.  Part of this is not because I'm a horrible modeler, but because I tried to go too advanced too soon, got stuck, and burned out.

Instead, I think it's very good advice to heed what some of the other members on this forum have said:  start off simple, because even the most boring and mundane subject will be a challenge to do well.

The traditional poly-Subd workflow with control loops is a pain to learn and you will cut your teeth trying to master it since you wind up breaking all kinds of rules like using ngons and tris in your low poly cage (remember it all gets quadrangulated when you freeze the Subdivision level, so don't worry about the ngons and tris).  However, you might consider using edge-weighting in PSubs (the only downside is that you can't export out of MODO to other packages and have the weighting preserved, though I thought Maya was cool with it?)

• ambelamba
    Offline / Send Message
    Whatever you do, don't try and make a Transformer.  I'm telling you not for the reasons other people will mention, but from experience.

To make a GOOD Transformer (because let's face reality, most fan made models look like crap), takes a lot of work, a good bit of design knowledge and some technical expertise that goes beyond just modeling (some decent understanding of how mechanical parts work, the ability to construct a simple and reusable rig, and good understanding of materials, etc. are needed).

I think that my biggest problem is that I've been shooting well beyond my skillset to the point where it feels like a hopeless uphill battle.  Part of this is not because I'm a horrible modeler, but because I tried to go too advanced too soon, got stuck, and burned out.

Instead, I think it's very good advice to heed what some of the other members on this forum have said:  start off simple, because even the most boring and mundane subject will be a challenge to do well.

The traditional poly-Subd workflow with control loops is a pain to learn and you will cut your teeth trying to master it since you wind up breaking all kinds of rules like using ngons and tris in your low poly cage (remember it all gets quadrangulated when you freeze the Subdivision level, so don't worry about the ngons and tris).  However, you might consider using edge-weighting in PSubs (the only downside is that you can't export out of MODO to other packages and have the weighting preserved, though I thought Maya was cool with it?)

Great advice. Thank you.

Come to think of it, I think I should model simple stuff for a while, to increase the skills and mileage. But...life often interfere with the plans. I might get cast as a recurring background actor with SAG rate for a drama series starring Jeremy Piven, starting from next week.

If I don't get picked up, at least I can spend my time doodling with polygons. If I get picked up...hmm. I might be able to have a couple of days off per week.
  • sacboi
    Offline / Send Message
    sacboi high dynamic range
    2004 is when I'd first opened Blender, been hardsurface (mechanically) skewed modelling ever since. Now I've only recently taken up games dev again after a 4yr break self learning VFX asset production techniques which translate quite easily via some core aspects into realtime workflows i.e contigous geometry, optimised topology design, sub division modelling, low frequency quad proxy, smoothed edgeflow and hardedged smoothing groups...etc.

So I'm going too buck the trend here recommending you try tackling a complex subject, for instance that mech you're thinking about. Because it honestly seems to me you are not going at this completely cold as a novice. Obviously knowing your app of choice is crucial prior too attempting an object this challenging however Digital Tutors, despite earlier opinion to the contrary is actually in the main a pro authored tutorial library catering to those artists of beginner/intermediate skill  level.

That being said, it shouldn't be too tedious an exercise teaching yourself working with another ADSK program, as I understand you've previous Max experience. Anyway if the intent is to extend beyond the comfort zone, then IMHO jumping in head first will definitly yield positive results in terms of overall progression alone.

Cheers.
  • ambelamba
    Offline / Send Message
    Regarding Pluralsight...

...If you are just starting out like me their teachings can become too dogmatic. Most of the tuts I watch are done by JM and he is very meticulous, but indeed dogmatic and rigid in a way. But the flipside is that he does teach you how to use the tool, from the rock bottom phase. 

Someone gave me this advice: Learn Zbrush using only limited set of tools. Standard, Move, HPolish, Remesher, and such. And yes, he makes perfect sense because learning too many tools at the beginning will confuse you even more.
  • ambelamba
    Offline / Send Message
    And Michael Pavlovich's Zbrush tutorials are whole lot more fun to watch than Pluralsight ones.
  • ambelamba
    Offline / Send Message
    Things got complicated. I might have to drop out of the Intro to Modeling class at a local community college before it starts. I got cast as a recurring extra for a new TV show. I play a uniformed police officer, possibly for next few months, possibly all the way to next May. 

Well, at least I am supposed to work 2~3 days a week, while I am not working at my family retail business. But this somewhat screwed my plan to study modeling and whatnot. The pay is OK, base rate is $164 per 8 hours, and the shooting lasts normally 12~14 hours a day, not counting lunch hours. Well, at least there's a lot of downtime so I can take my tablet/laptop to watch some tutorials and push some polygons.

The upside is, I can force myself to concentrate on Modo instead of wobbling between Maya and Modo. 
  • musashidan
    Offline / Send Message
    musashidan high dynamic range
    Congratulations on the role but, please leave the drama on your new set. 

Agony is getting kicked cleanly in the bollocks, from behind, with your legs shoulder width apart. Learning CG should be exciting. A passion. Something that you completely lose track of time whilst doing.

Just be thankful that there are a staggering amount of resources available today. To echo some of the other 'old-timers' here, learning back in the day for me involved a 3dsmax official docs book (yes, the paper ones) as thick as a doorstep, a handful of online tutorials that I printed out to spite my 3k a second connection, and later, dvds that a postman hand delivered......

So please, spare us the agony and just get on with the learning.

• sacboi
    Offline / Send Message
    sacboi high dynamic range

OP - if you're planning to hook up with Modo, then I'd strongly recommend learning from a Master by looking into Tor Frick's "Snerfer"  work utilising it on Gumroad and Steam. 

Plus aside from doing yourself a massive favour but most importantly progressing helluva lot faster as you would otherwise if sourcing instructional material elsewhere...IMHO.

https://gumroad.com/snefer#

https://steamcommunity.com/app/401090/discussions/1/494632768635378418/

Although...what do I know anyway you've got it sussed, right!

• PixelMasher
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelMasher veteran polycounter
    here is the thing, in almost any situation, you are far more likely to gain access to awesome mentors if A ) you are demonstrating that you are consistently taking action towards whatever goal you have instead of waiting for a mentor to appear.

and B ) if you can find some way to bring a decent amount of value to that mentor in order to help balance the relationship. This can come from straight up paying for their time, doing free work for them etc, but if you look at the situation as "how can i give value to this person" instead of "how can this person help me" you will get much better results.