Home Career & Education

Why you're not getting any replies

Replies

• CrimDa
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CrimDa vertex
    The hilarity of a thread about 'not getting replies' getting so many replies is not lost on me. Lol!

But this is very useful info. Ty!
  • goodmelody491
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    goodmelody491 vertex
    I got diagnosed with social anxiety in the past. Right now I'm working on taking hits and learning from them, it's gonna be a bit hard but I'm willing to go through it if it means achieving my dreams.
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Taking critique well is a learned skill. You need to let go of your ego, focus on what's being offered, and try to understand what improvement advice they are trying to communicate.

Being a good listener is an important part of soliciting feedback. 
  • Prime8
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Prime8 interpolator
    There are a lot of entries, sometimes I'm not sure if people who post finished projects for example really look for critiques or advice.
    Would it help to create sub-folders for categories like WIP, finished etc. or even something like hardsurface, character, environment?
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    We've talked about this, and in general we feel we have enough segmentation as it is. 3d, 2d, animation, sketchbooks, all the engine-specific sections, cs:go, etc.

We're open to organizational ideas, but the more segmented things get, the less views each section gets.
  • Prime8
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Prime8 interpolator
    I see your point, looking at the board as a whole it's segmented enough already.
  • Macebo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Macebo hero character
    Eric, can i suggest something? 

What about a rule for thread titles at the 3D Art Showcase, where people should add, before the actual title, a tag like "Character", "Environment" etc? That could help people who are looking to give feedback to what they are best suited for. That could be even like what we have on Reddit, where you click a tag and the topics list is filtered based on your selection. 
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    @Macebo
    that's on you.  Though sometimes labels like that don't encompass some projects, oddly enough.
  • Macebo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Macebo hero character
    @ Brian "Panda" Choi

I agree, the implementation of tags can be restritive for some non-orthodox works, but these are exceptions... Basically almost everything can be either a character, prop or an environment.

But you got to agree that more organization for thread titles would turn the browsing a lot more enjoyable. It doesn't need to be standardized -- a simple insight on what is the content present in the thread wouldn't hurt anyone. This already happens in some cases. For instance, most users who showcase Unreal Engine projects already use the [UE4] prefix.

Just an idea :)
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    We ask people to do this in the Information thread, see Use Meaningful, Specific Subject Headers. But people have a habit of not reading rules, which then requires enforcement, which most people don't like.

We do have hashtags, and you can search by them. See Forum Tricks.
  • Domslice
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Domslice polycounter lvl 8
    @sacboi / @Lt_Commander / @JimmyRustler / others in this thread

Re: Confidence, skill-level, feeling 'qualified' enough to contribute

It's an interesting thing, Polycount. The forum is great for being  mix of seasoned professionals and beginner/intermediate artists. I wonder though how one can post with authority, confidence, and offer constructive feedback without appearing 'arrogant'. This coming specifically from someone who is still relatively fresh in the world of 3D.

@JacqueChoi

Here's a suggestion:

Post feedback in other peoples threads.

When you're an active and helpful member, people will remember and take note, and return the favour.

This is a community. Don't be a sponge.

Am I to understand that the key is a mix of being courteous and fair, with a healthy post frequency? Online forums remain strange and difficult to me at times. 
    @goodmelody491 I got diagnosed with social anxiety in the past. Right now I'm working on taking hits and learning from them, it's gonna be a bit hard but I'm willing to go through it if it means achieving my dreams.
    Anxiety sucks, seriously. That resolve to take the hit and grow thick skin though is one that'll take you far!
  • sacboi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sacboi high dynamic range

Domslice said:

@sacboi / @Lt_Commander / @JimmyRustler / others in this thread

Re: Confidence, skill-level, feeling 'qualified' enough to contribute

It's an interesting thing, Polycount. The forum is great for being  mix of seasoned professionals and beginner/intermediate artists. I wonder though how one can post with authority, confidence, and offer constructive feedback without appearing 'arrogant'. This coming specifically from someone who is still relatively fresh in the world of 3D.

Yes, great point. It's indeed as important a learned skill offering critique as receiving it, that really comes down in my honest opinion too experience translating one's thoughts via text, conveying relevant advice elicited by the OP in a readable manner. Basically I find that courtesy and politeness goes a long way, whether your opinions are ignored or not. Because after all a community by it's very nature is a diverse ecosystem typically made up of like minded people passionate for the most part about this thing we do plus all the other variables i.e:  expertise, learning aptitude, personality, character trait/s...etc bundled together. So I think when you see someone struggling with an issue you may have a solution for at hand, just remember to pause, take a breath re-aligning your thought processes if possible too their level before typing a reply.

Cheers.

P.S

Throwing this in as an example. A recent contribution helping someone with their project, which all-n'-all a positive outcome not only for the OP but for me as well, learned a hellovalot I must say expressing those viewpoints I'd raised above.

• pmiller001
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pmiller001 greentooth
    Really useful thread. I didn't start getting many replies until i started posting way more consistently (and with quality, non garbage posts). I still dont get TOO many, but its way more than the 0 i got before i started taking 3D art seriously. I also think it has a lot to do with where you post. I find the sketchbook forum doesn't have too many people posting there, not as much as the showcase thread. 
    I mainly just try to keep my finished stuff, and improvements in the showcase thread. 

I do my best to offer valuable critiques, and the occasional "woah so nice!" but overall I dont have much to add IMO. 

TLDR: its true! if you post more consistently you will get more responses!(with the caveat that you should probably show a lil improvement)