Home General Discussion

New Wacom Tablets in 2018 - 24" Pro and 32" Pro

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
apollo580 polycounter lvl 9
http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/its-time-for-growth-300485802.html?tc=portal_CAP

Just wanted to share something I saw online, apparently Wacom is introducing 2 new tablets in early 2018. Still insanely overpriced but unless the Dell Canvas blows me away, I'll be getting the 24", which seems to be the perfect size.

<b>Bigger, bolder, better&nbsp;<br></b><span>The new Cintiq Pro 24 and 32-inch models are based on brilliant 4k displays with a billion colors and maximum color accuracy. The edge-to-edge glass screens open up space for unlimited creativity and production. The new members of the creative pen display family will not only grow in size, but more importantly also bring the unrivaled Pro Pen 2 technology to the big screens. Prices will range from&nbsp;</span>$1,999 to $3,299 USD<span>.</span>

Replies

• ahtiandr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ahtiandr polycounter lvl 12
    hm, thats very interesting! Thanks for the info
  • rohMizuno
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I wonder if ppl actually requests for a 32" model, seems a bit overkill to me
  • Zack Maxwell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zack Maxwell interpolator
    rohMizuno said:
    I wonder if ppl actually requests for a 32" model, seems a bit overkill to me
    A bit? That would be relatively large for a television.
    The sheer amount of time it would take to move your hand from one side of the screen to the other would lead to this thing actually hindering you and slowing down your work
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox veteran polycounter
    i returned my 27" for being way to frikking YUGE

32 is possibly a replacement for your desk, it has plenty of space for your mouse, keyboard, heck even your laptop
  • apollo580
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    apollo580 polycounter lvl 9
    That was my problem with the 27" that I tried in stores, it felt too large. I definitely wouldn't utilize all the space but sadly my 13HD is too small. I've been holding out for a refresh of the 22/24 so the 24" Pro will do just fine for me with the ergo arm attachment. Hoping to get this pre-ordered here in Canada when it's available.
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    man I'm still using my 2nd gen 21UX. I love it, and it still works great. My only gripes are really that having a 4:3 monitor these days makes gaming and some UIs weird, and the colors on this aren't the greatest. I'd love to upgrade to a 22" sometime but while this continues to work I don't see any reason to spend the money. always like seeing the new technology though!
  • ExcessiveZero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ExcessiveZero polycounter lvl 6
    the price is crazy, the alt tablet market is great right now, fell in love with my ugee 2150.

what I don't really get is why they want to go larger, we use zoom functions in every single app, larger just isn't better in fact it can be a lot worse.
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    As someone who recently "downgraded" from a 21 incher back down to an (awesome) 12wx, I kinda laugh at the idea of a 32 inch model :D I suppose that it can be good for people attempting to replicate the "swooshy lines" used in traditional car renderings ... But still I don't see much point to a huge one, simply because the distance to the working surface is so short that judging a design would require to either take a step back or zoom out anyways.

Would be curious to try it first hand to see how that plays out though. Maybe on an easel :D
  • ahtiandr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ahtiandr polycounter lvl 12
    I think the main thing here is 4k display with good color quality. I like to make line art on my 22hd cintiq but for coloring I better use my intous with my second good quality monitor for now. I hope 4k will be also for the 24hd as it is the right size for me and I really hope it will fit for my ergotron stand
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Well, assuming that
    the 32incher at 4k is roughly 28 inches wide for 4096 pixels

and knowing that
    the 12wx is 10 inches wide for 1080 pixels

That means that the 12wx from 2009 has a resolution of 128 pixels per linear inch, and the 2018 32 incher has ... 146. Considering that the working distance is the exact same (length of the human arm, natural eye distance, and so on) that's a very negligeable improvement.

Depending on the granularity of the pen tracking, I don't think there's even a way to know if a big one is more or less accurate than a small one :/
  • Lucas Annunziata
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lucas Annunziata polycounter lvl 13
    I'm with pior on this. I had a 22hd for years and recently dropped down to the 13hd and feel waaaay more comfortable.
  • Blaizer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaizer interpolator
    Cintiq pro 16" has too many errors. Check out youtube. I would like to see how they solve the huge issues with cintiq pro 13 and 16. You can trace a simple line nor with a rule (all has waviness)

I have no problems with the size cuz i'm customed to draw at A3 format since i was a child, but i demand a touch screen yes or yes. My actual screen is a 4K 27" ips monitor and i would love to have the same.

The actual cintiq pro 16 is a huge waste of money compared to products by Huion.
  • R3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    R3D interpolator
    https://petapixel.com/2017/07/12/wacom-announces-gigantic-32-inch-cintiq-pro-graphics-tablet/
    http://wacomcintiqpro.wacom.com/EN-US

The upcoming tablet displays will be 4K with one billion colors and “maximum color accuracy” — the existing 16-inch tablet offers 4K resolution as well — and will have Pro Pen 2 technology. That’s a stylus with a whopping 8,192 pressure sensitivity levels.

At $2,000 and $3,300, they will naturally be the most expensive options in the Cintiq Pro line-up — the current 13- and 16-inch versions cost $1,000 and $1,500, respectively.

• Meloncov
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Meloncov greentooth
    I'm guessing the 32 in is mostly meant as a display for conference rooms, rather than for workstations. I can see it being appealing as a digital whiteboard.
  • TheFlow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TheFlow polycounter lvl 9
    Holy smokes man... I sold my 13HD after a couple of months because FHD was too small already (that was in CS6 when Adobe had no fix yet for the UI scaling so I couldn't stand the tiny little buttons everywhere). But dude, 32", what the heck are you ever going to do with that? Pior is 100% right on this I feel. At my old university we had a 24" Cintiq and that was already way too huge for me.

Wacom should put their efforts in fixing those errors people have with the smaller ones. 
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lolol 32 inches wtf. I'm still using a 6x4 or so Intous 3, I can see the appeal of something like 12-16" but bigger than that has just got to be pain to actually work on all day.
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    lolol 32 inches wtf. I'm still using a 6x4 or so Intous 3, I can see the appeal of something like 12-16" but bigger than that has just got to be pain to actually work on all day.
    yeah dude. Echoing what TheFlow mentions above - I had a 24" at an old job of mine and it was just... huge. I'm on a 21 now and I have no gripes (though it would be nice if it was widescreen instead of 4:3). I can't really imagine bigger than this for my needs. I'd totally be down for a 19" wide. Curious to try the 16 when I get a chance.
  • claydough
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    claydough polycounter lvl 10
    I suppose point of reference plays a huge role in perceptions?

I have horrible nagging willys running down my spine drawing digitally. Like I am reinforcing bad "timid" "sketch-centric" habits not conducive to broad deliberate gestural/expressive strokes. ( painting anemically with ones wrists instead of one's elbow shoulder and whole body )

Burned into the conscientious paranoid base of my soul in art college by fascist professors "NOT TO WORK SMALL". I feel them staring over my shoulder silently judging me every time I reach for a tablet instead of a giant sheet of Rives BFK or other large traditional media.

Since the Microsoft studio came out at 5k 28 inches...

I have been hoping that as much might be a happy medium ( still to small considering my portable option in the 80's use to be a 2' X 4' panel of homosote that all art students use to fashion with a custom shoulder strap as a backboard/easel! The idea that 32" is unwieldy gives me a chuckle when I think of the looks I use to get carrying around paper plywood for my mobile landscape/portraiture solution I have to wonder when did everything get so small and feeble? )
  • claydough
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    claydough polycounter lvl 10
    I just had an "AHA" moment thinking about a past event where I volunteered at an artscape festival to help paint a large mural. And I remember thinking that the young millennials I was working alongside seemed to be having a rough go of it. Of translating the small reference to scale...
    I wonder if computers and the shift in art towards small wrist sized focus of strokes over the course of the past 20 years has raised a different breed of artist altogether?

( sort of like the anthropological analogy of the tribe from the jungle to afraid to enter the plains because they are frozen in fear where they can perceive no safe places to hide behind or climb to safety vs the plains tribe to afraid to enter the jungle because their view is limited by the dense cover where danger could be lurking behind every tree! Both tribes frozen in fear by their environmental experience positive that death awaits in the dread they feel )