Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Forest Lighting - Need Feedback

Hello,

I started working on this game environment in UE4 a while back to learn about foliage/vegetation. Now I'm almost finished with it, but for final presentation (which is WIP) I'm not sure if the lighting is catchy enough. I feel like there's room for improvement, but I don't see it. My current setup is:

Movable directional light
Movable skylight + White cubemap (because I don't want blue shadows)
PPV + Cubemap + LPVs
Atmospheric fog
Exponential height fog

Do you have any suggestions that could improve the lighting without adding any other type of lights?
Thanks in advance.

Replies

• Maximum-Dev
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Reworked the background and added some light rays (WIP turbulence) + minor tweaks to directional light.

• Maximum-Dev
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Some more tweaks to the lighting. I think it's starting to feel better now.

• Piemaster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Piemaster greentooth
    Looking great, I'm not a lighting artist so I can't really give any worthwhile feedback. Love it :)
  • Maximum-Dev
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks.

I've spent several months on building this and I'm too picky on the lighting now. I hope it's fine. Doesn't look realistic though.  :/

• leleuxart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    leleuxart polycounter lvl 10
    I think it's looking pretty damn good. The improvements you've done on your own have been huge, especially the increased contrast and the stark white specular. 

The only crit I have at the moment is about the god rays. Something about them still feels off to me, I think it's the overall sharpness of them or their intensity. Maybe they look better in motion. Are they cards and have you tried the new atmospheric fog?
  • Maximum-Dev
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    leleuxart said:
    I think it's looking pretty damn good. The improvements you've done on your own have been huge, especially the increased contrast and the stark white specular. 

The only crit I have at the moment is about the god rays. Something about them still feels off to me, I think it's the overall sharpness of them or their intensity. Maybe they look better in motion. Are they cards and have you tried the new atmospheric fog?
    Thanks Brian. Those are 2D planes facing the camera. You are right about that. I remember those of Cryengine looked really awesome back in the day. I think I should take a look at them in Cryengine tonight so I can have a better idea of what I should go for, I think those were cylinders instead of planes . In motion mine is some rays and then some panning dust making some variation on it.
  • hmm_rock
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hmm_rock polycounter lvl 10
    This looks really great! The ferns are spot on! I hope you post some breakdowns of the foliage and materials :)

At a glance I think the god rays may be too think and spread out, sharp like leleuxart mentioned. I can look and pick all of them out, which looks kind of "game-y". I think god rays are a hard sell at this camera angle, but I like them more than not. I would just expect to see broader strokes of light from the small god rays in the bg to some larger, bigger falloff rays in the foreground, if that makes sense. 
  • jewski-bot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jewski-bot polycounter lvl 4
    That's some amazing work there.  I can't think of anything off the top of my head as I'm not really the most astute when it comes to lighting, but perhaps there's a way to tweak the color of the volumetric lighting?  I'm thinking either a slightly warm or cool light.  I do second hmm_rock's opinion of the god rays.
  • JLHGameArt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JLHGameArt greentooth
  • Maximum-Dev
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks.

leleuxart, Went ahead and checked out the light beams in CE as planned. I've reworked my light rays shader. Here's some pics with the new shader (5 material instances for different looking beams). Looks quite tasty in motion.  :p

• leleuxart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    leleuxart polycounter lvl 10
    Hmm, not sure why I didn't get a notification for the tag. I think the light beams look much better now, but their positioning feels more obtrusive. Like in the last 3 shots, the depth and contrast of 1 and 3 feel much lower now because of the beams. The 2nd one feels fine, although I think a depth-based opacity control might be beneficial so you always keep the beams in the distance from the camera. They work much better in the background for depth and interest, but having them in the foreground interferes with the fallen tree and all the vegetation detail. 

It seems 1 and 3 also lost the sharp white highlights, which makes sense if they were specular, but I'd like to see them at more angles if possible. That might just be me though.
  • Maximum-Dev
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    leleuxart said:
    Hmm, not sure why I didn't get a notification for the tag. I think the light beams look much better now, but their positioning feels more obtrusive. Like in the last 3 shots, the depth and contrast of 1 and 3 feel much lower now because of the beams. The 2nd one feels fine, although I think a depth-based opacity control might be beneficial so you always keep the beams in the distance from the camera. They work much better in the background for depth and interest, but having them in the foreground interferes with the fallen tree and all the vegetation detail. 

It seems 1 and 3 also lost the sharp white highlights, which makes sense if they were specular, but I'd like to see them at more angles if possible. That might just be me though.
    I too don't get notifications sometimes.
    I did a bit more work here. I have a cylinder and material has 2 sided checked off, so with that I don't need to have it always face the camera. There are two problems with this though, A) If the texture isn't tileable along the X, you will see different results when you view the cylinder from different sides and B| If the texture is tiled around the cylinder you see hard edges along the cylinder sides where light is suddenly cut off.
    To fix that I used the Fresnel node to generate a mask on the cylinder sides and made the mask stronger by doing some adjustments, but couldn't adjust it to an acceptable state. It looks fine from close up but from a distance you still get to see a hard cut.

Couldn't make the mask (red) softer towards the center. I'm not sure how Crytek managed to fix that. But I'm gonna go back to 2 sided plane again and try to improve that instead. Meanwhile if there are any ways to soften that mask towards the center I'm all ears. Will post the 2 sided plane results here again for feedback as well.
  • Maximum-Dev
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    And here are the planes.

I think the light rays in the background read a bit better compared to old ones.

• Maximum-Dev
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Made some tweaks to the lighting. I think it looks more realistic now.

• JHS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JHS polycounter lvl 5
    In my opinion the lightrays doesn´t add realism to the scene. It seems the air is too clear (no dust or fog) that the rays could be plausible. Also there is soo much light falling to the ground that rays may be not visible that much.
  • ikblue
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ikblue polycounter lvl 8
    I agree with JHS and I was actually going to suggest more cast shadows on the floor, maybe in the distance, or a small one in the foreground. May I ask how many verts you've got on these small clover-like type of plants ? 
  • Maximum-Dev
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks. Noted. :)

ikbluThe clover cluster I'm using on the ground is 224 Tris.