Home General Discussion

Images won't display.

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
Alchemical polycounter lvl 6
Hey everyone, for some reason all images appear broken...
http://imgur.com/a/6O1ae

I've tried deleting my cache, trying another browser, aswell as searching it up here.

Any ideas?

Replies

• Eric Chadwick
    Works for me. What browser are you using, and do you have any script- or ad-blockers?
  • Alchemical
    Offline / Send Message
    Im using Google Chrome, adblocker is disabled for the website.

Alternative browser was Firefox

EDIT: Trying to open any image in a new tab gives me this message:

"us.v-cdn.net sent a illegitimate response

Could not establish a secure connection"
  • Eric Chadwick
    Are you trying to use HTTPS? If so we don't support that. (no reason we would, we don't transmit not store any sensitive data)
  • Alchemical
    Offline / Send Message
    Im not sure what that means, I haven't seen anything relating to HTTPS, I do however see it instead of HTTP on some of the links Chrome has saved. Not too sure what it means.
  • Eric Chadwick
    Do a google on it to learn what it means. It looks like this in your address bar.

But if you try to use it for Polycount, you'll get an error like this:

If you go to the Extensions page for Chrome, which of yours are enabled? What happens if you disable them and visit the Polycount homepage?
    chrome://extensions/
  • Alchemical
    Offline / Send Message
    Can't see the images you posted and neither can I access them by opening them up in another browser or tab.
    I searched it up tho and tried to delete Polycount from HSTS and accessing it through HTTP only, no luck.

Extensions are all disabled to no avail.

Is there another way to access HTTP to Polycount?

What's strange is that some images display while others dont. seems like those uploaded and linked from IMGUR display correctly while the rest dont.

• throttlekitty
    Are you using a VPN? If disabling extensions or trying another browser doesn't work, I'd look into your firewall or router or contacting your ISP.
  • Two Listen
    Offline / Send Message
    Two Listen polycount sponsor
    If the issue is occurring in multiple browsers, then there's probably a larger problem on your machine accessing certain HTTPS domains. 

While polycount itself does not use a "secure" https domain, the domain that a majority of the images download from does appear to (this is the URL you mentioned before).  Any user can see this for themselves by looking at their network activity while loading polycount's main page (Firefox, and probably chrome, have this capacity build into the developer tools).

See:

http://www.two-listen.com/Images/OffS/Misc/polycountMainLoad.JPG

The images come from a different, secure domain.  For the issue to be happening in multiple browsers, this makes me think a VPN, antivirus, or proxy/firewall issue (if you're using one).  If this is from your home computer, I'd disable any proxy or firewall you're using temporarily to see if that resolves the issue.  You may also want to check out other HTTPS domains to see if they're giving you issues as well. 

You might also want to try another browser entirely - if the issue only started happening recently without a network setup change that you're aware of, and you had both firefox and chrome installed at the time of the issue, whatever caused the problem may have impacted any installed browsers - but likely would not similarly impact newly installed browsers (opera, etc).  If a newly installed browser resolves the issue, you might be able to fix the issue by reinstalling your existing, preferred browsers.
  • Alchemical
    Offline / Send Message
    Are you using a VPN? If disabling extensions or trying another browser doesn't work, I'd look into your firewall or router or contacting your ISP.
    No VPN. I tried disabling my firewall, no change. I'll call my provider tomorrow.

While polycount itself does not use a "secure" https domain, the domain that a majority of the images download from does appear to (this is the URL you mentioned before).  Any user can see this for themselves by looking at their network activity while loading polycount's main page (Firefox, and probably chrome, have this capacity build into the developer tools).

See:
    http://www.two-listen.com/Images/OffS/Misc/polycountMainLoad.JPG

So here is an interesting thing that makes me think it still is an HTTPS/HTTP-issue. I tried opening an image on Polycount in a new tab. The link to that tab was HTTPS, I changed it and the picture displayed just fine in the tab. It seems all images are displaying in HTTPS and that may be what hinders me from viewing them. No other page shows this issue with HTTPS, save for Polycount. So for me to view anything, I'd have to open in new tab and change the domain. Terribly inconvenient but of course better than nothing. :)

All other browsers I tried with were newly installed. I tried disabling the anti-virus too, no difference.

Just like to thank everyone for the help and bearing with me this far!
  • Eric Chadwick
    I would then check your Anti-virus software. See if it is trying to force HTTPS for all connections.
  • throttlekitty
    This has been happening to me lately, just a few times, I haven't had the time to dig into it yet. Refreshing the page worked though.
  • Two Listen
    Offline / Send Message
    Two Listen polycount sponsor
    It may be worth noting in the specific instance of issues over the past couple days, that a number of large content delivery services have been having issues (AWS s3 buckets, cloudfront, etc) loading assets for a wide variety of content providers (facebook games, websites, etc).

Unsure if this is related to the recent net neutrality activity/participations or what have you, but it's impacted us at work with our s3 assets as well as a number of other websites.  For the most part the issues seem to have resolved themselves, but figured I'd mention that.
  • littleclaude
    Offline / Send Message
    littleclaude quad damage

I have a new laptop and no images on Polycount unless they have been hosted on imgur. It’s strange as the images on Polycount are working on my tablet, phone and old PC? Maybe it’s a Windows 10 issue? I have tried so many fixes so in the end I have Dell (the computer manufacturers) looking into it this weekend as my new laptop comes with a service warranty. They were able replicate the same issue on their PC’s, all be it intermittently on some PC’s and others it worked fine. 

• Eric Chadwick
    Thanks for the bug testing everyone! I'll get this info to Vanilla.
  • littleclaude
    Offline / Send Message
    littleclaude quad damage
    This is what Dell had to say.
    ------------------------------------

I spoke to guys from web design department, we have tried it on few other systems, and results were that most of the time we get different failures on different browsers, on Edge it was scrolling problems, on Chrome more less ok, around 80% systems ok, rest with broken images. On Opera at my house not optimalized as well, broken pictures, only on android it is appearing as good.

We have found, if You will look at the first line that IExplorer 8 or less is not supported

<!--[if lt IE 8]>

<p class="browsehappy">You are using an <strong>outdated</strong> browser. Please <a href="http://browsehappy.com/">upgrade your browser</a> to improve your experience.</p>

<![endif]-->

So only two tips, on Chrome secure browsing should be switched of, as it is http only page, and flash content should be disabled, but it helped only in few cases here at our job.

Therefore I believe that the page is not optimalized, or poor performance, need to check the coding.

• littleclaude
    Offline / Send Message
    littleclaude quad damage
    Two images showed up today, just thought I would mention it :) Not that I can see if I have attached it or not :/

• thomasp
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    ^these two are different from the rest in that they are not embedded in polycount. one is on blogspot, the other on instagram.
  • DesignByKivi
    Offline / Send Message
    DesignByKivi polycounter lvl 11
    I've had the same issue for a quite a while now -  went into the forums to see if other people were experiencing the same and seems so!
    Using Chrome without HTTPS and no VPN. Only can see externally linked images. User avatars and most of the image content however does not load.
  • Gaso
    Offline / Send Message
    Gaso polycounter lvl 5
    I had the same issue. In my case, F-Secure Internet Security had flagged the whole image content delivery network as unsafe. I removed the flag and images are loading again normally.
  • DesignByKivi
    Offline / Send Message
    DesignByKivi polycounter lvl 11
    Gaso said:
    I had the same issue. In my case, F-Secure Internet Security had flagged the whole image content delivery network as unsafe. I removed the flag and images are loading again normally.
    That actually was it. 
    Fix'd!
    Thanks!