Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Monthly Environment Art Challenge - July & August 2017 (49)

greentooth
Offline / Send Message
kadeschui greentooth
Hello everyone and welcome to the Monthly Environment & Prop Challenge #49!

We had a LOT of participation this last round, which is really inspiring. I have to give special thanks to all those who participated in the voting for Challenge 49 - These are some really exciting concepts this time! :)

Remember if you don't finish in the time allotted, just keep plugging away and post when your work is finished. There's always some good progress that falls off the radar - we want to see your work! So keep going and finish those pieces!

Without further ado, here are our options for Challenge 49!

HARD SURFACE CATEGORY:

artist: mikhail rakhmatullin

HAND PAINTED CATEGORY:

artist: Alexander Shatohin

HAND PAINTED CATEGORY:

artist: park eunji

HARD SURFACE CATEGORY:

artist: jake parker

If you want to change up either concept a bit, as some people wanted, then feel free. Interpret these concepts to your liking.

Please read all the rules before starting.

When you are just starting out making a scene, it can seem complicated or imposing, so take the time to break it down. 

Think about how you can re-use assets, re-use textures, break it down as simple as possible and plan it out. A lot of people will break it down in their own way when they start out their challenge. Gather some reference images as well for different parts of the scene, maybe gather some refs and make it your own.

Take your time planning and blocking out, it will set you up for success later on.

Here are some specifics.
  • Try to post one critique for every post that you make. This will make for a better learning environment and help us all grow as artists.
  • You must use a game engine to present your work. Unreal Engine and CryEngine are very common engines that can be used but feel free to use any alternatives that you want. (Marmoset Toolbag is allowed as well)
  • You must try your best and finish as much as you can in the time frame provided.
  • Post what you are working on in this thread so that way it's a more centralized place for advice and critique. We don't need to have 1000 disjointed threads littering the forums. 
  • I would strongly encourage you to go and look at other games and see how they make their assets as well   as get concept art to give it your own feel, but it must stay very close to the concept, if not super close. 
Well, that's about it. If you think that any rules should be changed, or there should be new additions to the rules, please let me know. As always, please feel free to provide feedback / suggestions in this thread or by messaging me directly.

All that matters is that you learn while being able to effectively critique others, as well as accept critiques on your own work. Remember to have fun. Cheers!

Replies

• kadeschui
    Offline / Send Message
    kadeschui greentooth
    Thanks for all the help voting and making selections this time all!  Good luck on Challenge #49!!
  • Klawd
    Offline / Send Message
    Klawd polycounter lvl 7
    There it is! I'll be joining soon to make that awesome scifi cabin ;)
    Great choices for this 49th edition!!
  • bokeronagresivo
    Offline / Send Message
    bokeronagresivo polycounter lvl 4
    I'll start with the red robot tomorrow, probably. I find it cool. Is there some extra information about the functions of this little guy? I don't find it on the artist page and would be cool for me to follow the concept closely.
  • kadeschui
    Offline / Send Message
    kadeschui greentooth
    That robot one was a little tricky, I think it initially came from a quick sketch just posted on the artist's blog. I'll dig tonight for more info :)
  • Ashervisalis
    Offline / Send Message
    Ashervisalis grand marshal polycounter
    That throne looks wicked. I'll try my hand at it!
  • wirrexx
    Offline / Send Message
    wirrexx ngon master
    my beautiful breakdown, really nervous about this env. it's bigger than i'm used to and trying to break down every aspect and collecting references. So many will probably wonde rwhy i did not break down the entire envo. Well most of the textures on the building which is in focal, can be re-used on new meshes that will fit that scene. My main problem is getting perspective to match as close as possible! =)

• danielrobnik
    Offline / Send Message
    danielrobnik polycounter lvl 8
    I'm liking these concepts. My plan is to tinker away on this little fella.

• kadeschui
    Offline / Send Message
    kadeschui greentooth
    couldn't find any additional sketches/info of the robot. looks like we'll have to be creative with our interpretation :)
  • Caiterade
    Offline / Send Message
    Caiterade polycounter lvl 3
    Fun!
    wirrexx said:
    my beautiful breakdown, really nervous about this env. it's bigger than i'm used to and trying to break down every aspect and collecting references. So many will probably wonde rwhy i did not break down the entire envo. Well most of the textures on the building which is in focal, can be re-used on new meshes that will fit that scene. My main problem is getting perspective to match as close as possible! =)

Good breakdown. I'm starting the 3d blockout for this :D 
  • Devon M
    Offline / Send Message
    Devon M polycounter lvl 4
    Hey guys :D I think I'm gonna take on the Asian inspired environment. However, I think I'm gonna twist the art style a bit. I was thinking of doing a more realistic environment, but still have a touch of stylized on it. Here are a few reference concept pieces that I'm thinking of for this project:

Artist: https://www.artstation.com/artwork/aZa2q

Artist: https://www.artstation.com/artwork/o10GW

I'm thinking of doing a head-on shot similar to these and add some atmosphere. Maybe do a day/night scene? Or just night. The lanterns that are hanging up could look awesome when they're lit up. Anyways, I'm breaking down what is modular and what isn't. I'll try and get back tomorrow with a block in for proportion/space/camera location(s). Goodluck everyone :D Can't wait to see what everyone else is doing. Cheers :)

EDIT: Added links to the artists of the two concept images I posted.
  • Caiterade
    Offline / Send Message

Started blocking things out and started sculpting the lions in zbrush
  • polytom
    Offline / Send Message
    polytom polycounter lvl 4
    Just watched 'Life'. That hard surface concept is super tempting...
  • Devon M
    Offline / Send Message
    That movie made my mouth uncomfortable...But that I.S.S. thooo. 
  • wirrexx
    Offline / Send Message
    wirrexx ngon master
    my small update, nice job @Caiterade !
    I'm not good with Zbrush, so i need to learn how to tackle the Lions!

• Devon M
    Offline / Send Message
    @wirrexx

zBrush was a pretty steep learning curve for me. I think with the environment you chose this would be a pretty good opportunity to pick it up :) Not a whole lot of crazy detail and stylized sculpting is a lot of fun :D

I too am nervous about the lions lol. 
  • wirrexx
    Offline / Send Message
    wirrexx ngon master
    Devon M said:
    @wirrexx

zBrush was a pretty steep learning curve for me. I think with the environment you chose this would be a pretty good opportunity to pick it up :) Not a whole lot of crazy detail and stylized sculpting is a lot of fun :D

I too am nervous about the lions lol. 
    I mean the basics are there but doing the lion will be the hardest task. And setting up the scene as a whole in UE4. I'll be gone 10 days starting tomorrow, but hopefully i'll be back with a fresh mind. 
  • Devon M
    Offline / Send Message
    Out of curiosity, can anyone tell me what is inside that tube thing in the first concept piece? To the left of the astronaut suit. It looks like some sort of weird fabric type thing...not sure though. 
  • wirrexx
    Offline / Send Message
    wirrexx ngon master
    Devon M said:
    Out of curiosity, can anyone tell me what is inside that tube thing in the first concept piece? To the left of the astronaut suit. It looks like some sort of weird fabric type thing...not sure though. 
    possible where you put your number 1 and number 2 doings in there, suck it out into the space. 
  • Klawd
    Offline / Send Message
    Klawd polycounter lvl 7
    Devon M said:
    Feels like a textile or polymeric tube with a metallic skeleton, and it's held to the wall by those black rings.
  • dieselJunk
    Offline / Send Message
    dieselJunk polycounter lvl 3
    That robot is cute, think I'll give it a go.
  • Devon M
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey everyone, so here's my progress so far.

Nothing to brag home about yet =P I had a tough time determining how close to stay to the concept art. I especially had trouble determining the (I'll call it a restaurant?) entrance of the restaurant. It appears to be asymmetrical in the image, but when I put my camera in front of the building it just didn't look right to me. I decided to make it symmetrical. Still trying to match the stone to where the little half-wall starts, and place the steps in other specific spots...Drove me nuts! Decided to go for a modular design and make it symmetrical in the end. Here's what I'm working with for modularity so far...

I made a wall piece and a corner piece. I figured for the corner piece I'll paint it on all four sides so that I have many options for the corners. The wall thickness is something to note too, because in the image it looks fairly thick...We'll see how it ends up the further I get along.

• BrianShray
    Offline / Send Message
    BrianShray polycounter lvl 4
    Devon M said:
    Flex Ducts

• Devon M
    Offline / Send Message
    @brianshray

Ohhhh nice! Thanks for that. 
  • Klawd
    Offline / Send Message
    Klawd polycounter lvl 7
    Nice one @brianshray!
    Textile or fabric flexible ducts though, otherwise apparently you will get the more common aluminum and insulated ones.  :)
  • twoquiznos
    Offline / Send Message
    twoquiznos polycounter lvl 4
    heres my start

• Swaggernaut
    Offline / Send Message
    Swaggernaut polycounter lvl 2
    Gonna take up the Hard surface environment. This is the high poly of the bed. I already finished several other props like the books, pill bottle and the picture framed by the bed 

• Devon M
    Offline / Send Message
    @Swaggernaut

Nice job on the bed! I'm looking back at the concept and I'm thinking maybe there should be a little bit less wrinkle between the cushions? The concept looks more "hard" rather than a softer cushion. 
  • Bletzkarn
    Offline / Send Message
    Bletzkarn polycounter lvl 6
    Hey guys, I'd really like to participate in this months challenge, it would be my first attempt at a challenge however I'm having trouble wrapping my head around the workflow and how to begin. This is what I believe I should be doing...

1) Break down image into components in photoshop.

2) Begin building a low-poly mesh in 3DSMAX for each component - save it.

3) Build the high poly mesh - save it.

4) Unwrap the low poly & high poly meshes?

5) Go into substance designer and bake your normal/height/ao/etc maps from your high poly to your low poly.

6) build material in SD.

7) Import low poly mesh into Unreal and apply your maps.

8) Set up you scene in Unreal?

9) Take a screenshot.

Also:

1a) Block out a rough model of the entire scene in unreal to check if your dimensions and lighting are working.

Any advice would be very much appreciated, thank you.
  • Zerogun
    Offline / Send Message
    Zerogun polycounter lvl 9
    All right. I was able to finish up my first pass at the robot tonight. I went through several variation of legs. And the under body is not done yet. I plan a bit more robotic do dads and what nots. 

Starting off with a simple hi poly in Max.

• Swaggernaut
    Offline / Send Message
    Devon M said:
    @Swaggernaut

Nice job on the bed! I'm looking back at the concept and I'm thinking maybe there should be a little bit less wrinkle between the cushions? The concept looks more "hard" rather than a softer cushion. 
    Yeah, I kind of saw that too, I might tone the wrinkles down a bit when I get back to it before I bake it down. Thanks for the comment!
  • Devon M
    Offline / Send Message
    @Bletzkarn
    Hey! I'm glad to offer some advice for you.

You have the general idea of what it's going to take to complete any of the challenges. I don't know about you, but I love seeing how other people work and I try to implement their workflows into my own, so I'll share with you what I do. It's by no means the only way or the best way, but it's the way I prefer to do things.

1) Once I get my piece of concept I'll break the scene down. What can I make modular? How far do I want to stray, or how close do I want to stay, to the original piece? What are some general distances between objects? Figuring out your proportions at the very start can save you many hours. Search the web for reference images of other people's work that is similar to this. Find real life photos of architecture and other elements in your scene. Pre-Production can save you massive amounts of time if you study up and prepare well.

2) I'll go into my modeling package (I use Maya, but 3DS, Blender, etc. are fine too) and do a mega simple blockout of the scene. You can go through this forum page actually and see a few of us are currently doing that. I think I can confidently speak for the others, but what we're trying to do is get our proportions down solid. It's one of the most important parts of your project, if not THE most important part of the project. Work with blocks and basic cylinders to get your basic shapes, distances, and proportions as perfect as you can with simple shapes. You can also use this phase to test out your modular pieces. If you look at one of my pictures, I highlighted the pieces I decided to make modular. A useful technique to make sure your proportions/scale are correct is to import a character model (you can get the third person character model from the unreal engine) and use him as a reference of scale. If you want, you can bring this blockout stage into Unreal and test its proportions with the first person character or third person character. Also, check out this link for scale/proportions.

http://www.worldofleveldesign.com/categories/ue4/ue4-guide-to-scale-dimensions.php

3) I'm still in my modeling package. Some people like to work low poly to high poly and some like to work high poly to low poly. I prefer working low to high. Now that I have my whole scene blocked out I'll keep that so I can use it as reference. I'll start to build my low poly based very closely to my blockout. This is when I start adding more edge loops and actually getting my mesh to look more like the object, but with as few polys as I know I can get away with. Be sure that everything follows the proportions that you laid out earlier. For me, as I finish a low poly model and I know it's done, I like to UV my mesh as I go rather than putting it off and UVing everything at once. Once my low poly stuff is complete I'll bring it into my rendering software (Marmoset, Unreal, Unity, Arnold, etc.) and set everything up. I'll take the time to setup the basic lighting of the scene. 

4) Now I'm making my high poly. Generally, I duplicate all of my low poly stuff and create a new high poly group, and I start from there. It's the utmost importance that your high poly is on top of your low poly (won't bake properly if it's not). Once I have a nice high poly in my modeling package I'll either determine it's complete or I'll bring it into zBrush for detail sculpting. 

5) Baking/texturing! I see you're a person of Substance (haha, ah..ha) so I'll stick with that. I also use Substance. You can actually bake inside Designer or Painter, but I prefer Painter's baker. I'll usually make my materials inside Designer if it's a complex material, if not I can use the default materials inside Painter to create Smart Materials. Depending on your workflow and for the sake of optimization, you should look into packing your textures: specifically your roughness, metallic, AO, and height maps. They can all fit into the same one texture map ;) That way you technically export a baseColor, normal, and RMAH (rough, metal, AO, height) map. During my texturing phase I'll apply them to the low polys in the Unreal scene and tweak the lighting as needed. You'll want to look into great lighting techniques because they can make or break your scene. I suggest giving this video a watch. It's pretty long, but you'll learn A LOT. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=grN5Yd55UIM&t=14s

6) Textures are done, scene is together. Really focus on your lighting, particle effects (if you have them), post processing effects, etc. etc. Take your screenshots and amaze the community!

This is pretty much how I generally work on projects. I have my intricacies here and there, but those are the highlights. What you offered in your post is pretty much the same general idea. Feel free to ask any of us if you have more questions!
  • Devon M
    Offline / Send Message
    @Zerogun

Nice start! Do you plan on building any mesh to go behind the lens? It could be a really cool effect if your lens has some opacity to it and you can see more mechanical parts inside :)
  • [Deleted User]
    Offline / Send Message
    [Deleted User] insane polycounter
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Bletzkarn
    Offline / Send Message
    Devon M

Thank you for the great feedback. I probably need a little more experience using Unreal and Painter before I jump into challenges, but I'm not far off. 
  • Devon M
    Offline / Send Message
    @Bletzkarn

This is the perfect opportunity to jump in! :) You should practice on one of these props. They're small and relatively simple enough as a good practice piece. Especially that cute little robot. All he's really made of is a bunch of cylinders. You should give it a shot, I think you could really surprise yourself. If you get stuck on something you can always come back to this forum and see what other people did to tackle the problem you're having.
  • [Deleted User]
    Offline / Send Message
    [Deleted User] insane polycounter
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Caiterade
    Offline / Send Message
    Could only get a bit done today but i've started narrowing down on the proportions and getting all the props blocked out
  • Bletzkarn
    Offline / Send Message
    Devon M said:
    @Bletzkarn

This is the perfect opportunity to jump in! :) You should practice on one of these props. They're small and relatively simple enough as a good practice piece. Especially that cute little robot. All he's really made of is a bunch of cylinders. You should give it a shot, I think you could really surprise yourself. If you get stuck on something you can always come back to this forum and see what other people did to tackle the problem you're having.
    Okay you convinced me with your encouragement! I'm going to give the cute robot a go.
  • Jesse Walsh
    Offline / Send Message
    Jesse Walsh polycounter lvl 7
    @TeriyakiStyle  Looking good! If I were you I would either crank up the emmisive on the yellow lights so they glow or turn them into some sort of glass material so they have some reflections. Right now the look super flat.
  • Swaggernaut
    Offline / Send Message
    Here is an update on the bed. Gonna call this done for now and move on to the other props

• Grykus_762
    Offline / Send Message
    Grykus_762 polycounter lvl 4
    Hey all. I'm a newcomer to Polycount and I'm trying to get serious with 3D modeling in general. That said I would like to present my initial blockout for the hard surface modeling bot! It's in a rough state and I know I have a TON of work to do. But I'm hoping with time and effort I could put out some quality models like I've seen on here!

Right now I'm using the Maya LT trial period. Normally I use Blender. I also have ZBrushcore, Substance Designer/Painter, and Marmoset Toolbag.

Things I've already noticed and changed on this model:
    • Feet need to be resized, they're big and a lot thicker as is. I've already scaled them down twice now
    • I'll need to remodel the right and rear leg. To start off I just modeled one leg and duplicated it over for the others as placeholders
    • The head dome was to short and positioned way too low. I made it taller and positioned it slightly higher. Then I moved the legs closer inward under the dome to match the reference image better.
    I'd appreciate any tips or help! Thank you all!

Initial:

Updated:

• Devon M
    Offline / Send Message
    @Grykus_762

Good start, however I think you have your scales inversed. For your model, the head is small and lower body is big, but in the concept it's the opposite! I think you should make your leg parts smaller than the head. Look at the concept again to see what I'm talking about. Good job imagining what the underside looks like. It's kind of tough since the concept is ambiguous to that area of the body. Keep at it :)
  • Devon M
    Offline / Send Message
    Haven't posted my own progress in a while! Work and Spider-Man keeping me busy :)

Still blocking the scene out, trying to figure out spacing and proportion. Probably need to make the lion statue placeholders a bit taller...Cut back on the concrete sidewalk on the left side. Trying my best to keep the scene as modular as possible and keep the pieces snapped on the grid. Keep on building! 

• BrianShray
    Offline / Send Message
    BrianShray polycounter lvl 4
    @Grykus_762

Great work thus far.
    When blocking out the shape be sure to get your proportions right.
    It might be hard to eyeball it, try to Import the Ref Image as an image plane into ur Scene to assist with that.
    Also dont worry about remodelling the other legs.
    The correct workflow in this case since they are identical, would be to model one leg and duplicated em anyway.

• Zedaxis
    Offline / Send Message
    Zedaxis polycounter lvl 6
    Okay, so it's been a LONG time since I've modeled anything complicated. I was hoping I could get some tips on where to begin with that sci fi room.... what's a good way to match the angle of that shot you guys think? Or should I just say screw that and build up the objects first.... roughly to scale.... then worry about the angle? I'm forcing myself to use cinema 4D
  • Quibees
    Offline / Send Message
    Quibees polycounter lvl 4
    Hello everyone! This is my first try in polycount challenge, I hope I can handle it :) I decided to make the throne with handpaint tecnique and that`ll be my first try too. So far I made a quick blockout but it needs cleaning and finishing back side, I had many problems with understanding the depth and general volume of the form, so somewhere I`ve used my imagination. 
  • Swaggernaut
    Offline / Send Message
    Does anyone know what these are? Hard to make out in the concept...

• Klawd
    Offline / Send Message
    Klawd polycounter lvl 7
    Does anyone know what these are? Hard to make out in the concept...

Often concepts aren't 100% clear and you gotta improvise. It seems like the white panel is cut in those three points, and just underneath there's a copper like material. Those could be specific locks to release the whole panel, or sockets to attach something, who knows:)
  • jewski-bot
    Offline / Send Message
    jewski-bot polycounter lvl 4

beep boewp - materials suck but I'll do another pass on them later.
    I like some of the design work in attempting to figure out the legs as those can a bit tricky, especially with figuring out how all of the components are supposed to attach to the base.  I look forward to seeing how this little guy progresses.
  • NBerbatov
    Offline / Send Message
    NBerbatov polycounter lvl 6
    Hi all  :) .I am  almost done with the high poly , need some twerking on some places.

Thank you!