Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Hearthstone Board - Starcraft 2 Style

interpolator
Offline / Send Message
Phoenix995 interpolator
EDIT:
Hey guys :)
I call this one done :) At my Artstation you can finde the whole scene inside Marmoset Viewer :)

Final Render:

Close ups:

HR:

I had a blast creating this! 
My workflow for this was rather basic, at first I created all the assets as highpoly models. 
At this point I started staging the whole scene, while creating the final render camera. 
Next I created the lowpoly models (25.000 tris) and three different texture sets. One for the backdrop with the badge, the second for the board with the coins, and the third for all the assets in the corners. 
While texturing and creating the effects I always rendered the scene in marmoset to get the lighting, shading right. 
I hope you guys like it and if you have any questions just ask in the comments :)

cheers 
Florian

hey guys :)
right now im working on a hearthstone board in StarCraft 2 style. 
the way i create it is, i create 5 different assets

1 board
4 corners

as high and lowpoly with 5 different texture sheets

right now i am basically finishing the highpoly on everything :)

there are just a few questions i need to find answers to. 
maybe one of you guys has an idea. what can i put next to the siege tank, the ghost Academy and behind the space marines?
and what do you guys think of the health and coin symbols?

i am thankful for every critic and comment :)
thank you guys in advance

cheers

Replies

• Phoenix995
    Offline / Send Message
    Phoenix995 interpolator
    some close ups
  • Clark Coots
    Offline / Send Message
    Clark Coots polycounter lvl 12
    As a fan of both Hearthstone and Starcraft this is a really cool idea. You could try to incorporate more environment related things, like Mineral piles, and SCVs or Mules mining them. You could have a Bunker top left under the medivac, maybe a missle turret somewhere. Might start to feel cramped, but just trying to think of ways of introducing more color and variation in shape size. Might be worth looking at some SC2 maps for ground patterns or miscellaneous props that would fit the feel of Terran.
  • pmiller001
    Offline / Send Message
    pmiller001 greentooth
    Oh wow, I really like this. Cant wait tos ee it finished. 
  • Phoenix995
    Offline / Send Message
    Phoenix995 interpolator
    @Clark Coots
    thank you for your ideas
    i like the idea of the bunker underneath the medivac. maybe i will  put a missile turret next to the tank and some fuel rods next to the ghost academy ... 
    for the ground floor i was going to use some sc2 maps as reference :) thanks again for the comment

@pmiller001
  • Durkel
    Offline / Send Message
    Durkel polycounter lvl 2
    Looks really cool, especially the modeling is impressive! Are you going for a Hearthstone or Starcraft look in therms of texturing and rendering? I've never played Starcraft so I can't give you any feedback on that. I see  you have some cool interactions in mind.
  • Phoenix995
    Offline / Send Message
    Phoenix995 interpolator
    @Durkel
    Hey :) thanks you!
    i will go for a heroes of the strom look :) i mean the way they created the starcraft props inside heroes of the strom.
  • Phoenix995
    Offline / Send Message
    Phoenix995 interpolator
    small update on the board: 

i think the highpoly stage is finished and i can start doing all the lowpoly models :)

andy futher suggestions?

comments and critics are very welcome 
  • Phoenix995
    Offline / Send Message
    Phoenix995 interpolator
    Hello again :) I just finished the Lowpoly + UVs and Normal Maps. It sits at about 27.000 Tris and has 3 Texture Sets. First one is the Backdrop Table with the Star on the right. Second one is the gameboard itself with the coins and the health symbols. And the third one has all the four corners on it. Next Task for me is, Texturing (inside Substance Painter), creating the Effects and Setting up the Marmoset Scene (Lights and stuff.) I hope you guys like it and if anyone has a comment or critics or some ideas to make it better, please comment :) cheers
  • Phoenix995
    Offline / Send Message
    Phoenix995 interpolator

today i started with texturing everything :)
    i think i'm on the right track, just some more details, but i think the colors etc. are already not too bad.

next to that i have to start with the effects, but first i have to find out how and what i'm going to make.

thanks for stopping by, and comments and critics are as always very welcome

cheers
  • Phoenix995
    Offline / Send Message
    Phoenix995 interpolator
    I call this one done :) At my Artstation you can finde the whole scene inside Marmoset Viewer :)

Final Render:

Close ups:

HR:

I had a blast creating this! 
    My workflow for this was rather basic, at first I created all the assets as highpoly models. 
    At this point I started staging the whole scene, while creating the final render camera. 
    Next I created the lowpoly models (25.000 tris) and three different texture sets. One for the backdrop with the badge, the second for the board with the coins, and the third for all the assets in the corners. 
    While texturing and creating the effects I always rendered the scene in marmoset to get the lighting, shading right. 
    I hope you guys like it and if you have any questions just ask in the comments :)

cheers 
    Florian

• Brian "Panda" Choi
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    I am getting turned on.  

The table could stand to be a dirty metal bar table, like on Jim Raynor might be drinking on because of alcoholism.

And, perhaps as an extra idea, you could probably make an infested version of this board right quick.  Just another texture atlas for the additional Zerg bits.
  • Phoenix995
    Offline / Send Message
    Phoenix995 interpolator
    @Brian "Panda" Choi
    Thanks for the inputs

I went for the wooden backtrop with the badge because of the opening sequence of starcraft in witch jim sits in a bar. And its a better contrast than abother metal piece.

The infestion idea sounds nice, but it is mor work than just changin texturs... and right now i don't have the time. ..

But thank you for your comment :)
  • Phoenix995
    Offline / Send Message
    Phoenix995 interpolator
    After some feedback, i changed some of the shading :)

here is the final render:

• Gannon
    Offline / Send Message
    Gannon interpolator
    I like the elements you chose for the board! The table looks a bit naked without the typical blue table cloth that sits behind the board.

I'm SUPER curious how you did the smoke form the nuke! it looks really nice!
  • Phoenix995
    Offline / Send Message
    Phoenix995 interpolator
    @Gannon
    Thanks you, yea for the board background i was going for the bar, jim sits in at the opening cinematic of sc2.

the smoke was rather tricky :) but i think it turned out great :)
    here is a small breakdown:

1. create some spheres and arrange them.
    2. Uv them, so the cover the whole smoke texture. i just grabbed one out of google
    3. Create the shader shown :) you might have to tweek the sliders, because it depends on mesh size and scene scale.
    4. put some lights into the mesh, to simulate the fire on top.

i hope it helps :)
  • ZacD
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    The buildings and units looks great, but I feel like the actual board and trim could use a lot more details and loving. The SC2 UI for terran would be a great place to draw inspiration from. 
  • Phoenix995
    Offline / Send Message
    Phoenix995 interpolator
    @ZacD
    Hey :) thanks for the comment

well i tried that, but than i lost the feel of hearthstone, if you know what i mean.
    so i took a look at how blizzard changed the boards etc. for all their boards.
    i came to the conclusion to change as little as possible on the overall look and feeld of the board, so it will read as hearthstone.
  • Phoenix995
    Offline / Send Message
    Phoenix995 interpolator
    i had the opportunity to give a little insight on how i made the board
    https://80.lv/articles/making-a-custom-arena-for-hearthstone/
  • Spoon
    Offline / Send Message
    Spoon polycounter lvl 11
    This is awesome!
  • Phoenix995
    Offline / Send Message
    Phoenix995 interpolator