Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Natalie Portman - Likeness study

polycounter lvl 2
Offline / Send Message
Durkel polycounter lvl 2
Hello ;)

This will be my first likeness sculpt and first head sculpt I do starting from a sphere. So far it has been a very tough ride, but fun and very instructive nonetheless. 

I'm seeking for critique, methods and tips, anything that will help me improve. For the eyes, nose and mouth I do sculpt with symmetry off most of the time, but  it still feels very uncanny in my belief. Especially with placing the eyeballs and adjusting the eyelids I've had tons of problems. Maybe it's because the actress has no hair, eyebrows and eyelashes, but I highly doubt that. 

Reference: 

Sculpt with some texture overlay:

I'll be taking a short break from this project. Yesterday, I've worked a few hours on the eyes only, but it didn't really improve. Hopefully, after a short break I'll be able to finish the likeness and start with the detailing of this piece. 

I'd really appreciate any feedback I can get. Thanks in advance! :)

I'll be adding more images of my sculpt later on.

Cheers,

Derk 
https://www.artstation.com/artist/derkelshof

Replies

• kreativbloc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kreativbloc polycounter lvl 3
    Hey. So a few things. I would say that for the reference sheet try to go with only reference from one project, like let's say ALL Black Swan screenshots. This would be for consistency, a person gains or looses weight all the time so they might looks different at different times. Also keep in mind that in different projects they are shot w different cameras and lenses so they are going to look different regardless. Also it seems that you're maybe using image planes to line up the parts of the face. If that's the case. i would suggest to not do it all the time because it will become a crutch at some point. If you are not doing it. Please ignore all that. Lastly pay a lot of attention to the eyes, especially the lacrimal. Eyes sell the model so it' worth spending time on them.
    I'll shit up now hahaha. Sorry if I rambled but there is potential there so it's worth it I guess. Ill keep an eye on this. Good luck.
  • Shyralon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shyralon polycounter lvl 11
    Looks good, especially for a first head sculpt :)
    The main thing that I noticed was that the overall head shape is off - take a look at the top right image on your reference sheet. The backside of the skull looks a bit different shape wise and especially on the top of the skull yours looks almost flat with the highest point really far back (which should be more in the middle).
    Other than that I can not give you any advises regarding likeness, as I suck with this myself..
  • Durkel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Durkel polycounter lvl 2
    Super. Thanks for the advice @kreativbloc !

I followed the first episodes of Frank Tzeng's likeness sculpt tutorials a couple of days ago. That gave me some advice on searching for good reference as well. Since then I've watched Black Swan, Thor and V for Vendetta. I'll probably stick with V for Vendetta. The bald head and little to no makeup around the eyes will help alot... and I love that movie, so rewatching some scenes for reference is an enjoyment.

I only match up my reference with the sculpt in the sideview. The rest I do by hand now. In the first hours of the project I did match up my reference with the sculpt quite often, but that did more harm then good. 

Anyways, thanks again for the advice. It will help alot during the proces! I'll be uploading my new reference and proces later on.  Hopefully that will show some improvements.
  • Durkel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Durkel polycounter lvl 2
    Th @Shyralonfor your feedback. I'll work on it once I get back to sculpting. :)
    By the way, nice textures you've posted a couple of days ago, I dig it!

• Durkel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Durkel polycounter lvl 2
    Reference photos I've taken from  the movie V for Vendetta. I'll probably get back to sculpting tonight or tomorrow and post more proces once I'm getting closer to the likeness.

• Durkel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Durkel polycounter lvl 2
    Still far from perfect. The eyes are such a nightmare to do. Anyways here is my process for now.

Left: Old   -   Right: New

Sculpt with polypainted texture:

Feedback is always welkcome!  :wink:
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nice work! Even before polypaint I think you nailed the lips and nose. The ears could use some lovin, but you're probably not there yet.
    Keep up the good work!
  • Durkel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Durkel polycounter lvl 2
    @Brian "Panda" Choi  Thanks :)
    @Mark Dygert Thanks alot man. Yeah, havn't done much on the ears yet. Was a complete mess in the beginning with the subdivs so I'll tackle that issue later one. 
  • slosh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slosh hero character
    Is the polypaint a photo projection?  or just paint?  If its a photo projection, don't use it because it will look like the actress regardless of if the sculpt does not.  I think the likeness is getting there but there are inherent anatomical issues with your sculpt.  From the profile, the head looks far too wide, as in her face is too far forward.   Cranium shape is odd as well from the profile.  Maybe looking at a skull would help.  The back of the head juts back too far IMO.  Her ear shape looks strange as well.  Looking up facial anatomy would help a lot.  I'm seeing structural issues with her nose, mouth, and eyes so i would get good anatomy ref and do a comprehensive pass on all of them.  Once the muscle, fat, skull structure is proper, you can tweak to fit the likeness.  
  • Durkel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Durkel polycounter lvl 2
    @sloshThanks alot for taking the time and writing such good feedback, this will help me tremendously. I'll be making some other sculpts alongside this project to practice more facial anatomy before going back to this one.