Home Technical Talk

I have normal map problem

polycounter lvl 3
Offline / Send Message
KAPOZ polycounter lvl 3
Hello, I'm 3D beginner. Also I'm korean. So My vocabulary may be wrong.

I'm making some character model for game. It's cute girl character.
I sculpted the character model, and retopologied. But there is a problem.
I baked normal map in maya(2017). Face part is baked well but dress and arm or leg part is 
little strange.

It's unknown spots appear. And also shadows become very strong.
This problem make me tired. I searched, but i can't found solution.
I'd be very grateful if you could help me with the problem. If you need more references for solve the problem, I'm willing to offer it.
Thanks for read the post.

Replies

• ActionDawg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ActionDawg greentooth
    These errors are caused by a projection issue. Basically, when shooting out a ray to hit the high poly model, to figure out what the normal should be at that pixel, the ray is missing the area it should be hitting.

You'll want to bake your normal map in a program other than maya and be sure you're using a cage for the best results. What game engine are you using? Knowing this will determine which tangent basis, the math the normal map is created with, you need to use.

This link will help you with understanding the baking process. You don't need to use toolbag, but it's one good option among others :)
    https://www.marmoset.co/posts/toolbag-baking-tutorial/

Your english is pretty good!
  • KAPOZ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KAPOZ polycounter lvl 3
    Really appreciate your help! Your link is very helpful for understanding normal map bake!
    Let me consider using Toolbag. I think it's great tool for 3D art. I even know about Toolbag before you tell me!
    Thanks again for your help!
  • ActionDawg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ActionDawg greentooth
    You're welcome!

You can also use Substance, Quixel, Handplane, Knald, xNormal and more. Substance Designer (and maybe Painter, I'm not sure) just recently added the ability to paint skew maps like you see on page 2 of that Toolbag tutorial, so it's a great option if you want to keep everything in one set of software.

Cheers!
  • Bek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bek interpolator
    The skew thing isn't in painter yet, but it's a safe bet it will be merged into painter at some point in the future.
  • musashidan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    musashidan high dynamic range
    Bek said:
    The skew thing isn't in painter yet, but it's a safe bet it will be merged into painter at some point in the future.
    No doubt. Usually stuff like this from Designer gets ported to Painter. I'm actually surprised it wasn't in Painter first.