-Two of my friends work in toys
    -one in games
    -another friend and I work in practical training using unreal/ unity

we are out here on the low
  • ErichWK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ErichWK polycounter lvl 12
    Sadly my studio doesn't have a huge amount of variety, except for a few koreans, canadians, and two chinese folks.. But I have become friends with quite a few black game developers who are all great. I know a bunch of ex-Rockstar San Diego devs who shred it!
  • jam-i-am
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ERICH! dude its been a while! btw your profile pic is a 100% accurate representation of what you look like! awesome!
  • ErichWK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ErichWK polycounter lvl 12
    YA! Your profile picture is almost like you..almoooost. :3
  • MagicSugar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MagicSugar polycounter lvl 10
    Hey, 5 more days left in Black History Month.

Just found out about Brandon J. Bruce on CrunchCast 54.

http://sunhutzu.carbonmade.com/
  • cameron600
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cameron600 null
    Gerald Anderson "Jerry" Lawson was an American electronic engineer known for his work in designing the Fairchild Channel F A.K.A first video game console. 

http://www.biography.com/people/jerry-lawson-21330375

• Gaurav Mathur
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gaurav Mathur polycounter lvl 12
    Keep watching www.wearegamedevs.com
  • kanga
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kanga quad damage
    After looking around for a while I think the two most important qualities you need are that you are shit hot at what you do and are still breathing. 

To the OP: you are not black, you are a computer artist. You see it in a lot of threads that people are concerned with making it. If you are doing what you love, you made it. If you are not that good yet and have to do a bit of something else (as well) to allow you to continue doing what you love, then so be it.

Giving yourself and others labels is letting yourself off too easy the only things that count are talent, the will to learn and a healthy obsession with what you do. If you have those things you are a success. Working in or towards anything to do with game development is a privilege, so clear your mind, free your spirit and get back to work.
  • slipsius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slipsius mod
  • Lamont
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lamont polycounter lvl 15
    kanga said:
    After looking around for a while I think the two most important qualities you need are that you are shit hot at what you do and are still breathing. 

To the OP: you are not black, you are a computer artist. You see it in a lot of threads that people are concerned with making it. If you are doing what you love, you made it. If you are not that good yet and have to do a bit of something else (as well) to allow you to continue doing what you love, then so be it.

Giving yourself and others labels is letting yourself off too easy the only things that count are talent, the will to learn and a healthy obsession with what you do. If you have those things you are a success. Working in or towards anything to do with game development is a privilege, so clear your mind, free your spirit and get back to work.
    What I think the OP is getting at is that within the Black community across the US (not sure about the rest of the world), game development as an artist, programmer, producer or whatever has a huge stigma attached: "never going to happen", "it's for white and Asian people...", "I could never do anything like that..". Looking at how a lot of Black people grew up, you would never THINK you could do anything like game development, you had nothing to aspire for because you knew no one like you who wanted to do it. Being a nerd/geek back then was hard, even harder for Black people. You were called "White-washed" or "sell-out", joked at by "friends" and peers, just because you wanted to nerd out. I don't think many people know how damaging and isolating it can be to be called that growing up. I got into fist-fights all the time defending my geeky nature. Not everyone can fight.

That's why some people wanna know if other Black people do game dev too, because if you're a kid/just starting out and you see this, you will feel that "hey, I can do it too, and it's OK.". And that is awesome. When I see other Black game developers or anyone in tech industry, I have an understanding of what it might have been like just to get to get in.

Then after you get in, you're just another corporate asset. You leave your Black card at home next to the Malcolm X head bust.
  • Gaurav Mathur
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If you believe that diversity in the game industry is a relevant issue and would like to do something to move the needle, consider reaching out to organizations like Gameheads (http://gameheadsoakland.org/).  Gameheads is based in Oakland, California -- you don't need to be local to make a difference.
  • kanga
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kanga quad damage
    @Lamont, there are plenty of reasons why you can justify the doubts you have. The only doubts you should have are whether you are good enough and then cure those doubts by finding solutions. People of every colour and creed have not found success by concentrating on what they don't have but rather doing everything with what they have. Young people stating out should not be busy with barriers and should be made aware of their potential regardless of what labels are thrown at them.

Look, every part of the world has their cross to bear. At school I got beaten up daily because I was a nazi (have an Austrian surname so that was enough). Does not interest me in the slightest I don't care about that stuff its just an inconvenient waste of time. When I taught college I looked out across the sea of faces: Black, White, Asian, Eastern and I told students I didn't care about them, just what they could do. The world is shrinking, there are plenty of people like me and we are seeing artists from so called under developed countries producing amazing art and living well from it. They don't get there by asking themselves if they have a chance, they just get on with producing great art.
  • Lamont
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lamont polycounter lvl 15
    @kanga I don't have doubts. I am doing exactly what I want to do, regardless of what people think of me, or have thought of me. It is the same thing I tell to kids when I go back home and visit my old neighborhoods. If you want it, work for it. If you don't want it, you will blame someone. Discipline yourself because there may NOT be discipline around you.

What I am saying is: When it feels like something is NOT for you, why go? Some people just don't have that confidence.
  • kanga
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kanga quad damage
    @Lamont, I am 100% with you on that. This thing only works if you can't stop yourself from doing it :)
  • Gaurav Mathur
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I don't even think anyone else noticed
    I think this is still a relevant issue in America two years on, and will probably continue to be for many years.  I do believe this goes beyond just black game developers to other under-represented groups , though.  I admittedly didn't gain an appreciation for diversity issues until I moved to the US.  I didn't put a label on myself or seek out my "tribe" when I was going to school or starting out in my career, but I understand how identifying with one's race and gender could be meaningful and a source of inspiration.

From my perspective, it's about leveling the playing field:  providing equal access for all to the tools we use and to career opportunities.  It's about creating safe spaces where we can all be creative together and also about bringing new ideas into a medium that often used to be criticized for its lack of original ideas.
  • Gaurav Mathur
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    https://www.fastcompany.com/3063298/breaking-the-status-quo/ed-smith-and-the-imagination-machine-the-untold-story-of-a-black-vid
    "I can say with certainty that being one of the first to do anything is amazing. To be a man of color and a leader in the video game industry will be my legacy, and one that I am very proud of." -- Ed Smith

• jaymart15
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jaymart15 polycounter lvl 4
    Hi. I'm new here. I think about this topic from time to time so I'll say this. I'm black.I'm also an aspiring artist myself.From reading the replies, I see that there are two ways to look at this. One side pretty much see the individual who already have his or her mind made up about the industry.Whereas the other side speaks on the upcoming black youth.I will start with the first. Yes I agree that it's all about skill and no one should look at skin color.As far as the second point,yes blacks are under represented.Not because blacks are not getting hired,because they are.but simply because we are already a tiny fraction of the population.I believe that not many blacks grow up with artists to look up to. Most of our parents or relatives didn't pursue professional art careers. Because of that, when a kid show a bit of talent in art, that kid isn't pushed or motivated.Sure we can say other groups experience it too.But we have to remember to adjust for population so when it's rare in x group, it becomes even more rare in a group smaller than x.Now back to the youth. I've seen someone state that there should be role models.I agree with that. We are often raised to believe that when it comes to the creation of games and vfx,the ''white man'' do all that stuff.Some may say scientist. we often hear'' you can't make money in art.'' I've heard it plenty of times but now I know that they just didn't know better. That's true if you are just drawing pictures to hang them on the wall.But that's all we knew at the time.We didn't know about the fields we can get into when we become and adult.I think what it all comes down to is population. Any race of people can lack resources or lack support. My niece is an artist and I motivate her all the time to create. When she get older,I want her to know about the different avenues she can get into because I wasn't educated.It may take a year explaining it especially 3d haha but she'll have an early start unlike me.
  • metalliandy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    metalliandy interpolator
    *edit* gah, sorry for the necro.

• sacboi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sacboi high dynamic range

...necro or not, a salient issue nonetheless worth a latter-day comment and as the OP later clarified...

"What I am saying is: When it feels like something is NOT for you, why go? Some people just don't have that confidence."

Hell I can definitely relate on that score, plus as a New Zealand "Maori" (Polynesian) an even rarer 'breed' but passion for this shit keeps me focused on cracking it big...one day :)

• Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I thought it was a good necro. 
  • Gaurav Mathur
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The Game Devs of Color Expo took place last weekend in NYC:  http://gamedevsofcolorexpo.com/
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lamont said:
    kanga said:

What I think the OP is getting at is that within the Black community across the US (not sure about the rest of the world), game development as an artist, programmer, producer or whatever has a huge stigma attached: "never going to happen", "it's for white and Asian people...", "I could never do anything like that..". Looking at how a lot of Black people grew up, you would never THINK you could do anything like game development, you had nothing to aspire for because you knew no one like you who wanted to do it. Being a nerd/geek back then was hard, even harder for Black people. You were called "White-washed" or "sell-out", joked at by "friends" and peers, just because you wanted to nerd out. I don't think many people know how damaging and isolating it can be to be called that growing up. I got into fist-fights all the time defending my geeky nature. Not everyone can fight.

That's why some people wanna know if other Black people do game dev too, because if you're a kid/just starting out and you see this, you will feel that "hey, I can do it too, and it's OK.". And that is awesome. When I see other Black game developers or anyone in tech industry, I have an understanding of what it might have been like just to get to get in.

Then after you get in, you're just another corporate asset. You leave your Black card at home next to the Malcolm X head bust.
    Yes this is a good necro. Quoting Lamont's post because it's great.
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    Public exposure normalizes decisions, and implicitly enables others to make similar decisions.
  • Blond
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blond polycounter lvl 9
    I'm black and my younger self would be the kind of dude to ask this question...but frankly..what does it matter??

The fact that there are other blacks (or people from your culture social background) shoould not influence in any way you're attraction to a medium (even though, socially, it's proven it does). These kind of behaviors and thinking is what puts boundaries and limits to you...

Women have the same problem in general. They have this kind of herd mentality where a lot of them will start study into a field only when theirs peers will do it...Nothing withholds or stops women from going into computer programming or Engineering studies yet, few of them do because it's not popular amongst them...and then they blame men saying things like: there's not engouh women in bla blah bla...

blacks do the exact same thing (I've seen it countless times with my peers), they prefer to chose the same careers path as their friends instead of trying out themselves something more fulfilling for them...and then they blam others (usually the white men) that there's not enough of their people in respectives fields...that's such an idiocy...I'm tired of people who puts imaginary walls in front of them...

Whenever I tell my cousins in family bbq about my job, they always ask if there others black people in them...I usually say we are few but that shoudnt stop them from going in there if they wanna succeed in it....they usually dismiss my advice and starts pandering and imagining the industry as a ''oppressive white male dominated space''....pfff

Sorry to be an Uncle Tom by saying this but I think these latest years, this is what has limited black people and differs them from the white men. The white men goes into an unknown field to him, a far out discipline, he explores new cultures, not caring the fuck about what his peers will say about it. He gets knowledge, learns about the other and uses it to elevate himself higher in the world...

This is how you have a lot of successful white rappers despite knowing tha tthe hip-hop filed is a blakc thing, but often very few black rock or metal artist since they consider these genres as ''white people'' genre...

Sorry for the rant.:D
  • JordanN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JordanN interpolator
    Blond said:
    Sorry to be an Uncle Tom by saying this but I think these latest years, this is what has limited black people and differs them from the white men. The white men goes into an unknown field to him, a far out discipline, he explores new cultures, not caring the fuck about what his peers will say about it. He gets knowledge, learns about the other and uses it to elevate himself higher in the world...
    Do you know what the term Uncle Tom means? It's not a positive one. It's about a slave accepting his lower status, either through ignorance or delusion. Not something any black person should coin themselves unless you know, you want slavery....

Now I'm not really in the mood to type out a long paragraph, but I want to address something in your post. Do you acknowledge the history of the world has shaped modern society including how certain problems or lack of equality has came to be? Do you believe some events in the past still have an effect on the present and that no amount of self determination can change it without happening on a massive scale (i.e the aftermath of WW2 and how certain countries emerged prosperous while others had to be re-built completely to catch up)?

If you answered yes to both, then you understand society is more complex then you give credit for and that without a great equalizing effort, certain groups are more likely to have to work 2x harder to achieve the same position that someone who doesn't have a history of oppression or coming from an unprivileged background wont. 

Now of course, there is a distinguishing element between saying the lack of black people in the game industry is directly because of racism, VERSUS, the lack of black people in the game industry can have explanations related to how historically black people haven't had equal chances at employment and success compared to their white peers. The latter of which has evidence to support it.
  • Joopson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joopson quad damage
    You're blaming individuals for succumbing to intense societal pressures? ok

On a less incendiary note: white guys are absolutely boxed in by societal expectations as well, but the stakes aren't as high for the average white guy as they can be for women or non-white people. I think that probably accounts for the differences you note.
  • Gaurav Mathur
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • AfroCenTech
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sure. Though....what is "game developer" in someone's mind?  Takes alot of moving parts to get that to work.  You can be great at a game engine. However then you need assets to put in it. Then sound design ect.  Plenty of good examples given already of course.   I personally want to create high quality 3d assets, then  with enough time move  into game development.   

To the OP, I would just tell your nephew. That all the black artist, black programmers ect, are just quietly honing their skill to be the very best like anyone else would.  Its just a matter of putting that same skill into a collaborative project.  Much like the advice I received,  tell him to be a master of his craft.

• Aerial_Knight
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Aerial_Knight polycounter lvl 8
    i fucking hate this, this entire thread, i hate the idea of diversity and i hate the phrase "we need to be more diverse".

why does it even need to be said? why aren't we just hiring skilled people? why does it even matter where a person is from as long as they're good at what's needed of them?

why do we even need to highlight the fact that a particular studio might be "highly diverse" in the "type" of people it employs? whenever someone highlights a place as being diverse, or another place as needing more diversity, they're actually categorizing people. it means that someone has sat there and said "we have enough people of x skin colour, but we need more people of y skin colour in order to appear a particular way to outsiders". so fuck that. in it's own way, that's still fucking racist.

fuck this subject, seriously.
    So i guessing you're white then lol. its very hard for a person of color to make it in the games industry there are many black game dev but we are only 3% of the industry why do you think that is? 
  • garcellano
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    garcellano greentooth
    Hey hey :)@redhonour !
    Just saw this thread pop up, it's probably been up for a while now.
    To answer the question, I'd say yeah. I know looong time ago, when I interned at Sony in San Diego, I worked nearby Ryan Benjamin and Sean Ruffner. Both of them have a background in Comics, I believe they were at Wildstorm or Image Comics, in San Diego, CA. There was also another 3D Artist there I met at the time, who's been in games for years, Bryan Johnson. I did wonder about that myself a long time ago, as far as Filipino artists. It's one of those things I barely think about now until the topic pops up.

• Blond
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blond polycounter lvl 9
    i fucking hate this, this entire thread, i hate the idea of diversity and i hate the phrase "we need to be more diverse".

why does it even need to be said? why aren't we just hiring skilled people? why does it even matter where a person is from as long as they're good at what's needed of them?

why do we even need to highlight the fact that a particular studio might be "highly diverse" in the "type" of people it employs? whenever someone highlights a place as being diverse, or another place as needing more diversity, they're actually categorizing people. it means that someone has sat there and said "we have enough people of x skin colour, but we need more people of y skin colour in order to appear a particular way to outsiders". so fuck that. in it's own way, that's still fucking racist.

So i guessing you're white then lol. its very hard for a person of color to make it in the games industry there are many black game dev but we are only 3% of the industry why do you think that is? 

Well, I'm black and completly agree with him...why and how is it hard for a black game dev to get in...we'are all based on the same qualifications and factor; folios, reels and skills....(and personality)...just like most other industries in the western world..Religion, ethnicity or sex plays plays no factor or role in deciding a candidate....as a matter of fact, CG and video games is one of the few industries out there that imports lots of other talented artists from all parts of the world...indian, african, chinese, japanese,etc..as long you can speak the language of course...if a native black in the usa can't get a job in 3D world and says, it's because he's black, he has some introspection to do with himself...
  • JordanN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JordanN interpolator
    Blond said:

Religion, ethnicity or sex plays plays no factor or role in deciding a candidate....
    In a perfect world this would be true. But this would also be the world where Jim Crow laws didn't exist. Or the spike in hate crimes against Muslims/Sikhs after the 9/11 attacks.

Empirically, racial and gender discrimination is well documented. As I said before, you need to distinguish between directly blaming the cause, versus recognizing that there is a system in place that gives preference to certain races/genders above all else.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/hbsworkingknowledge/2017/05/17/minorities-who-whiten-resumes-get-more-job-interviews/#6b8c10ab7b74
    http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/j.0021-9029.2006.00035.x/full

It doesn't even have to be about portfolio. Biases exist. How humans grow up in a society, they learn from their surroundings and put them in action without knowing what they're doing could be wrong. And yes, being black can expose you to the same biases.

With more than 1,500 observations, the study uncovered substantial, statistically significant race discrimination. Bus drivers were twice as willing to let white testers ride free as black testers (72 percent versus 36 percent of the time). Bus drivers showed some relative favoritism toward testers who shared their own race, but even black drivers still favored white testers over black testers (allowing free rides 83 percent versus 68 percent of the time).

I for one, would a love a merit based system that did rewards jobs by criteria. However, unless you can make every human transparent so that it exposes their real feelings towards a person of any group, we just don't live in that world yet where no one has to fear their skin color or gender could potentially be a source of disadvantage.
  • sacboi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

almighty_gir said:

fucking hate this, this entire thread, i hate the idea of diversity and i hate the phrase "we need to be more diverse".

Glad you've gotten that off your chest mate.

...feel any better since you'd last hit this thread?

Golly, I have to say not encountered so much aggressiveness expressed in one short post in ages, which is saying something considering I've personally written, oh let me see now 2.5k - 3k thread replies I guess? over a 4yr period alone on various CG related sites.

Jeepers...where does all that anger come from?

Anyway from my understanding the OP (aspiring dev) was merely asking a polite question if there were any other people of colour in the biz and chuffed that his nephew was into doing the same.

Really what sparked such an offensive vitriolic rant, seriously???!!!! 

• Blond
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blond polycounter lvl 9
    lIttle reminder; dont forget he posted that over 2 years ago...he still had that chimp avatr back then
  • sacboi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yeah get that.

However AFAIK he's still active here, so regardless of elapsed timeline a question worthwhile asking....now whether a response will be forthcoming anytime soon...fuck knows!
  • Francois_K
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Francois_K interpolator
    sacboi said:
    yeah get that.

However AFAIK he's still active here, so regardless of elapsed timeline a question worthwhile asking....now whether a response will be forthcoming anytime soon...fuck knows!
    Sacboi.
    Puleaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaseeeeeeeeee.

There is absolutely no need to comment on every single thing that was ever posted in a thread especially if the post is 2 years old. And the original statement had some valid things in them , so I do not get the point of getting all passive aggressive about it.
    So just drop it.

• sacboi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Yep fair point I may've gone a bit overboard PA'ing.

When typing was more than a little irked in a manner of speaking and FYI didn't actually expect any feed back whatsoever but rather register my annoyance is'all, plus as they say in the classics what you throw up on the Net is nine times outta ten indelible.

Have a good one.   

• Torch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    Del said:
    This thread is making me feel really weird...

Feckin lol
  • metalliandy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    metalliandy interpolator
    Is hope everyone still super pumped I necro'd this thread. I like to do my part.

• Wing
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wing polycounter lvl 2
    As a black girl who was bullied because I liked 'white people stuff' and dreamed of doing things 'white people' did Its nice to see I'm not alone in liking this stuff. I'm not a weirdo or an 'oreo' like they said.  Finding people who are like you made it and did the things you wanted to do helps counteract the bullying and the low self esteem that can come growing up surrounded by folks telling you that liking the things you like = trying to be white.  I am not saying my portfolio should not be judged as hard as anyone else's but it helps me strive to even try to make a portfolio when I wouldn't otherwise thinking that people like me didn't make it. 

I am not an 'oero'. I am not pretending to be white. I am me. I like what I like and hope to be successful at doing it and im glad to see im not the only one like it felt like when I was younger. 
  • poopinmymouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopinmymouth polycounter lvl 19
    Wanted to thank all the black game developers who wrote their personal stories here. I read every one and appreciate you being so open on a public stage.