Home General Discussion

I almost got arrsted for this model

polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
Aerial_Knight polycounter lvl 8
Been playing with 3d scanning the last few days. I think I finally got it down. only 2k texture :D

while taking pictures of this rock people called the cops on me. The police pulled up on me asking a bunch of questions. I told them I was a 3d artist and showed them my business card. they didn't really have anything to say after that so i just left. Worth it!

Be careful People!

Replies

• Jakob Gavelli
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jakob Gavelli interpolator
    This is some next level click-bait, hahaha
  • Obscura
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Obscura grand marshal polycounter
  • Aerial_Knight
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This is some next level click-bait, hahaha
    I call that an accurate ass title lol 
  • Magihat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Magihat ngon master
    Okay but more importantly: in your avatar why doesn't the cone, cube or cylinder have proper edges at the caps/sides? You can't just leave unattended vertices hang around like that, it's just irresponsible.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [Deleted User] insane polycounter
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    @Aerial_Knight
    Your portfolio link just leads back to this thread.  Might want to fix that.
  • Aerial_Knight
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Magihat said:
    Okay but more importantly: in your avatar why doesn't the cone, cube or cylinder have proper edges at the caps/sides? You can't just leave unattended vertices hang around like that, it's just irresponsible.
    lol you guys a silly and i never even noticed that. 
  • Aerial_Knight
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cop 1 - munching sandwich at park - wtf is this guy doing?
    cop 2 - idk let's ask him.
    cop 1 - Huh.. video games.. my kids always playing overwatch.
    cop 2 - I never have time - I play some facebook shit with my wife.

days later...

cop 1 - hey remember that guy with the rock?
    cop 2 - no.

Now that's accurate.

maybe, the whole thing just kinda bothered me a lot tho. I didn't know people think I'd be up to something just by taking pictures of a rock. I wouldn't have done it otherwise.  also, i wasn't at a part it was near a downtown area. 
  • SnowInChina
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SnowInChina interpolator
    most important question here;
    why would someone call the cops when you are taking pictures of a stone ? seriously, whats wrong with the people ?
  • ExcessiveZero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ExcessiveZero polycounter lvl 6
    why would someone call the cops when you are taking pictures of a stone ? seriously, whats wrong with the people ?
    might be isis planning to blow up the rock 
  • Zack Maxwell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zack Maxwell interpolator
    I'm less disturbed by some idiot making a "911, some guy's taking pictures of this rock!" call.
    Much more disturbed by the "we'll get his ass!" response from the cops to that call.
  • cptSwing
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cptSwing polycounter lvl 11
    Do NOT mess with the Royal Oak Volunteer Fire Department.
  • Fuiosg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fuiosg polycounter lvl 5
    Gosh I really have no patience for people like that.
  • Aerial_Knight
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cptSwing said:
    Do NOT mess with the Royal Oak Volunteer Fire Department.
    they are not to be fucked with lol
  • Mstankow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mstankow polycounter lvl 11
    Im a gonna bring up race cause I am pretty sure as a white guy nobody would have cared if I took photos of that. Hell. I bet nobody would care if I used a drone to scan that rock.

• Kwramm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    well, you did contact the owner of the rock before taking pictures and have them sign a release letter, right? ;)
    If the terror paranoia (OMG someone is taking pictures of SOMETHING!!!) won't get you, then copyright law will
  • Joopson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joopson quad damage
    People call the cops for the dumbest things. I don't even understand. Scan looks good!
  • sacboi
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    sacboi high dynamic range

I'm wondering what that bronze plaque signifies, methinks the rock is of some historic import?!

...perhaps explains the hassle. 

• r13
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    r13 founder
    probably a civil war army camped there for a few days 
  • Tekoppar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tekoppar polycounter lvl 10
    sacboi said:

I'm wondering what that bronze plaque signifies, methinks the rock is of some historic import?!

No way? Could it be that it's possibly a memorial of some kind? Nah, it's more logical that it's just some random rock and white people be crazy.
  • Zack Maxwell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zack Maxwell interpolator
    Tekoppar said:
    sacboi said:

No way? Could it be that it's possibly a memorial of some kind? Nah, it's more logical that it's just some random rock and white people be crazy.
    Because that would make the response reasonable?
  • Jakob Gavelli
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jakob Gavelli interpolator
    I'm pretty sure this belongs in 3D Art Showcase and not actually General Discussion, unless the intent is to talk about the situation and not the art but whatever ^^ 
    Dunno why general discussion automatically turns into a shitshow
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just be glad you weren't taking photos of birds.

A story I heard on a photography forum, a guy stopped by the side of the highway to take some photos of birds, he whips out his gigantic telephoto lens, someone passes by and calls the cops on him claiming there is a guy on the side of the road with a rocket launcher. Cops show up in full takedown mode.
  • Aerial_Knight
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

A story I heard on a photography forum, a guy stopped by the side of the highway to take some photos of birds, he whips out his gigantic telephoto lens, someone passes by and calls the cops on him claiming there is a guy on the side of the road with a rocket launcher. Cops show up in full takedown mode.
    Oh god I couldn't imagine if someone called saying there was a black guy running around with a rocket launcher lol 
  • Tekoppar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tekoppar polycounter lvl 10
    Grimwolf said:
    Tekoppar said:
    sacboi said:

I just wish people would go easy on assuming things without any information. People are so quick to judge these days, and things can get out of hand pretty fast.
  • SnowInChina
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SnowInChina interpolator

thats messed up..
    but i guess its the time we live in

• sacboi
    Options
    Online / Send Message

Grimwolf said:
    Tekoppar said:
    sacboi said:

I think you'd be surprised, given a certain mind set what action would be deemed "reasonable"

• Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Do you feel like you were profiled, @Aerial_Knight ?

• Aerial_Knight
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Nope, i try not to think like that. but its dumb either way. 
  • CreativeSheep
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CreativeSheep polycounter lvl 8

There one had to say it.  :/
    Maybe how you were taking the pictures of the rock.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

thats messed up..
    but i guess its the time we live in

Eh, it was probably this guy

or maybe one of these

• Aerial_Knight
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ha! i take it back i would call the cops on that thing to lol
  • sacboi
    Options
    Online / Send Message

Tekoppar said:

I just wish people would go easy on assuming things without any information. People are so quick to judge these days, and things can get out of hand pretty fast.

I could say the same...friend.

A similarly aligned circumstance. 1997 dropped off a block from home deciding to walk after a great night out playing pool with mates, an attempt somewhat to clear the head mitigating paying the price later that day. Needn't have bothered though, what transpired in the next few minutes left me stone cold sober, in more ways than one...

Next thing I know an oncoming vehicle's headlights flicked too high beam, piercing blue flashing light, gunned engine, squeal of brakes and smell of rubber...then a barked command from the passenger's side window:

"HEY YOU"

"Ahh...yep???"

"Are you up to anything at this hour?"

"Just a walk getting some air"

"Any trouble with the police?"

"Small stuff really..."

"Yeah what?" (..could make out a smirk forming)

"Speeding...if that counts?"

"Live around here?" (At that time the area was beginning to attract the upwardly mobile young professional set)

"Yes!"  (Pointing back up the road 150m to my street corner, opposite a Shopping Mall entrance...duly recited my address in full as directed)

(A moment's pause...) fish tailing, the 'Divvy Van' (Divisional Van) sped off. 

Left standing there shaking not from either the cold or fear...

Never told my friends what happened, kept it to myself as a salient lesson. Which is a tad weird considering I now work in an industry (...bill paying 'day job') that operates in close proximity with law enforcement, on the whole enjoying the challenge responsibility brings with it executing day to day duties. Although two decades removed still on occasion I clock a divvy van driving past, evokes total recall of the incident. 

Funny how the worm turns?!

Anyways @Tekoppar hence my queried response.  

• musashidan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    musashidan high dynamic range
    Growing up in the late 90's in Ireland we used to have local IRA squads that would patrol the estates after dark with baseball bats and German Shepherds. Youths hanging about were 'discouraged' from loitering. The police were the least of our worries......

Whinging about our rights just never seemed appropriate if you had any use for your kneecaps.
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I wouldn't easily blame you, @musahidan
  • Synaesthesia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Synaesthesia polycounter

About 13 years ago, I ended up getting a visit from the MIB after taking some photos up near a restricted military installation in the Florida panhandle. People don't like photographers, especially not when you're out taking pictures of sensitive things like electrical substations, oil facilities, and radio towers. Fortunately, showing them my crappy 3D models in 2004 convinced them that I wasn't a terrorist and that I had barely mastered the concept of extended primitives in Max.
  • Amsterdam Hilton Hotel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Amsterdam Hilton Hotel insane polycounter

while taking pictures of this rock people called the cops on me. The police pulled up on me asking a bunch of questions. I told them I was a 3d artist and showed them my business card. they didn't really have anything to say after that so i just left.  
    cool story, i particularly liked the climax where nothing happened
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

while taking pictures of this rock people called the cops on me. The police pulled up on me asking a bunch of questions. I told them I was a 3d artist and showed them my business card. they didn't really have anything to say after that so i just left.  
    cool comment, I particularly liked the part where you bumped the thread to say nothing

Back on topic, I find that if you're going to go somewhere potentially sensitive, it's good to call or email beforehand and ask if you can take photos. I do this frequently when I'm capturing panoramas - like the ones I took at City Hall in San Fran, I wanted to make sure it was okay to show up with a tripod and they were like "yeah that's fine". Other places have strict polices forbidding the use of tripods or larger gear, so you can save some time by checking before you head out to shoot.
  • Aerial_Knight
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Well yeah, I kinda happy nothing happened. 
  • Synaesthesia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Synaesthesia polycounter
    I actually carry this printed out with me while I'm out shooting: http://www.krages.com/phoright.htm

I definitely suggest following EarthQuake's suggestions, but knowing your rights is always important too. In the US, you're permitted to take pictures of basically anything in the public square. No one has any expectation of privacy on public land, and harassing you is definitely not acceptable.
  • Deathstick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Deathstick polycounter lvl 7
    ^^Just be careful of photographing anywhere even remotely near military bases. I'm not sure exactly what the rules are for photographing military bases in the US for references/art/probably safe from public spaces, but I do remember two developers from Bohemia Interactive got stuck in a greek prison for 129 days while on vacation for having a few alleged photos taken near a military installation.
  • Blaizer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaizer interpolator
    next time, use a smartphone lol you won't get great pics but at least references.
  • Aerial_Knight
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaizer said:
    next time, use a smartphone lol you won't get great pics but at least references.
    I did use a smart phone
  • sacboi
    Options
    Online / Send Message

....well in that case, the only other thing I can think of is that the cops must of taken exception too your phone :P

Waddaya packin any way, is it an Android or IOS?  

• Aerial_Knight
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sacboi said:

....well in that case, the only other thing I can think of is that the cops must of taken exception too your phone :P

Waddaya packin any way, is it an Android or IOS?  

Android, a $200 BLU phone