Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Abandoned School Environment (UE4)

polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
9Solid polycounter lvl 8
Abandoned places are creepy. Abandoned schools are really creepy. I was inspired to start on this scene after looking through abandoned places on pinterest and came upon some images of abandoned schools, this being my main reference. With this project I want to build a hallway using modular assets, push my substance designer skills and try and up the spooky factor with the lighting.

Here's a quick block in and the modular pieces I used to build it. The lockers are varying from closed to slightly ajar, and a few of the lockers are fully built to be completely open. Everything's already UV'd with uniform texel density. Next steps are to create some materials for these assets.

Replies

• 9Solid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    9Solid polycounter lvl 8
    The first material I knocked out is a vinyl tile material, with the ability to change the color, pull off tiles and add dirt and dust. I've imported the substance to check out the parameters in UE4. I'm probably going to vertex paint 2 or 3 different tweaked versions down the line to get some nice variety with the dirt, dust and plucked tiles.

• JLHGameArt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JLHGameArt greentooth
    Looking forward to seeing how you approach the lighting here to get a nice creepy atmosphere. Have fun!
  • 9Solid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    9Solid polycounter lvl 8
    @JLHGameArt Thanks! and will do.

So for a few updates. I created materials for the ceiling tiles. I really liked the look of the tiles in this image.

So I created 3 variations of ceiling tiles, with a parameter to add water stains. Now that I screened it and added it here, the tiles might be a little too rotated, but I'll adjust that.

In addition to the ceiling tiles I textured the lockers. Disregard the big black shadows in this one. I didn't get around to creating lightmap uv's for it so it looks a little cruddy. That's on the list.

Next up is to texture the doors, tile the ceiling, create a material for the rubber baseboard? Whatever you call the bottom part of the wall, and add lights and make the slight adjustments I mentioned earlier.

• I_Art_Men
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I_Art_Men polycounter lvl 3
    Can't wait to see how u're going to hive this school a creepy mood. As i know is not an easy job.

Keep it up
  • StormyBA
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    StormyBA polycounter lvl 8
    https://youtu.be/yfOwSKYS3zA?t=287

The last of us had a great abandoned school scene. might be worth checking for some inspiration
  • Ernst
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ernst vertex
    Hi! Great work man! 
  • Chidambhar_Swaroop
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Chidambhar_Swaroop polycounter lvl 2
    Nice keep going ... 
  • 9Solid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    9Solid polycounter lvl 8
    A few updates. I changed the design to the ceiling. Went with more of a traditional ceiling tile. I'm still going to go in and remove some tiles from the mesh to add variance. The substance I used to make it includes the ability to add water stains which I'll be sure to include. I'm going to texture the doors, including possibly blurring the glass. On the other end of the hall, I'm going to replace the doors on that end with an exit door (the one in the third photo without the shadow coming off of it.)

Once those are in place I'm going to revisit lighting and begin set dressing with additional assets.

• Deathstick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Deathstick polycounter lvl 7
    Make sure you add in a little bit of ambient lighting or a couple of light bounces when it comes time for final rendering. Spooky atmospheric lighting is great, spooky atmospheric lighting where its so dark that you can't see any of the details in a portfolio piece is not so great.
  • 9Solid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    9Solid polycounter lvl 8
    @Deathstick I'll definitely be sure to keep that in mind. What's the point of modelling all of this stuff if I'm going to hide it. 

@I_Art_Men & @Chidambhar_Swaroop @JLHGameArt Will do!

@StormyBA Thanks for that. It's funny you bring that up, because I last left that game in the gym against that boss. I should go back and finish it.

Anywho, just a few updates. I textured the double doors and modeled and textured an exit door. Don't mind the bright red light on top of it, I'm going to have an exit sign somewhere around there to justify that. I threw the bloody hand in there for fun messing around with decals. I plan on using them to decorate with graffiti, dirt, water and maybe blood.

• 9Solid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    9Solid polycounter lvl 8
    Hey guys, a few more updates. I changed the ceiling panels yet again. I'm much happier with them this time around. The glass, which has dirt and a slight "diamond" detail cut into it shows off the lights a lot better than previous iterations. I put in some new dirty glass on the doors as well. I also dropped in an exit sign for the opposite end.

Next up on the list is to really start doing some set dressing.

• jth852
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jth852 polycounter lvl 2
    Everything in this scene has a nice quality of age and disrepair like it actually is abandoned and starting to fall apart.  But the bricks look very clean and whole. It looks like there are some nice variations in the color and roughness but some actual wear on the bricks would probably go a long way.  Like some chunks missing or more worn corners,  It just looks a little too uniform compared to the rest of the scene.