Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Urbosa Fanart (Zelda WIP)

polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
BurgerButt polycounter lvl 5
Howdy!

Here's a WIP of my latest personal project, Urbosa from Breath of the Wild.

Her design is so ridiculous and great at the same time, and I felt like sculpting her would be a great framework for practicing techniques I sorely need to level up in. I'll probably do a little redesigning to be more practical and  fit the style (heels on a warrior seemed a little strange to me, but for some reason I'm all for exposed abs).

The look I'm going for is a combination of stylized forms and more realistic surfacing / rendering, something like what Pedro Conti might make. My goals are to get better at hard surface modeling, become more familiar with Substance, and understand the transition from Zbrush to Renderman / Arnold a little better. 

Anyways, here's my progress so far, I'm open too all feedback!

Shield kinda looks like a pizza. I also kind of went overboard on the damage. 

Replies

• BurgerButt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wanted to mix up her armor a bit, but having a tough time coming to a decision! I'll probably rework the final armor with her green / gold / blue color scheme, and give it a little more extravagant decorative flourishes with jewelry like her original design. And keep her giant sword and round shield. I also liked the asymmetrical gladiator  chest plate shoulder guard combo.

I also wanted to put to paper what I was thinkign for her final pose. My idea is to have her perched atop a dead Hinox. It was this or a decapitated head of a Hinox, referencing Donatello's David.

• BurgerButt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm already redesigning a lot of her so what the heck. Sort of combined her hair with the Gerudo Chieftain's hairstyle. Also made some changes to her face, mostly in her brow and eye region. Her eyes were set pretty far back in her head.

• BurgerButt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Long time no post! Havent gotten to make much headway on the project in a while, but have been picking away at the anatomy when I find the time.

The biggest change i've made is adapting her style to lean a little close towards realism. She feels more dimensional in areas (like the face) but she lost a little of the stylization in her torso and shoulders that i liked. Took some time to make better hands and feets

Overall I'm liking the changes and its getting me excited to work on it again!

• Tits
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tits mod
    Interesting project and subject.
    I really like the stylisation you are going for at first but interested to see where you'll take this style wise, will definitly follow the thread :)
  • slosh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slosh hero character
    Diggin the approach and the anatomy looks good!
  • BurgerButt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Tits Thanks! After your comment I decided to go back to the body sculpt and try to bring some of the character from the first draft back. I Didn't recapture much of the sharp, simplified forms but tried to bring back the exaggerated posture and proportions.

@slosh Thank you! I keep feeling the itch to refine and tune things, but I'm glad it's not looking too wonky with the stylized approach!

I think I need to officially lay off the anatomy until i block in the armor  B)
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    I feel hot and bothered.
  • Kend
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kend greentooth
    This is looking great, solid sculpt of the body the direction you've gone with the anatomy looks great and the likeness is very good. Cant wait to see more.
  • Tectonic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tectonic polycounter lvl 10
    really cool! can't wait to see where you take this.
  • BurgerButt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks y'all~! I appreciate the good vibes, it's getting me more excited about moving forward with this!

I threw down some sword designs, trying to find a balance between graceful and powerful. I wanted the weapon to be scimitar-like but with a little more weight to it. Some of them are getting into Bleach / FF / Berserk territory, which I'm not sure will look too silly.

If there's one that anyone thinks looks more intriguing / appropriate, please let me know! Even if you think none of them work, I'm open to all feedback!

• Tectonic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I like the handle/hilt on G, but the blade on A and C
  • VinodSharma
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    VinodSharma polycounter lvl 7
    Cooooool man ......deep stylization....
    Want to see final one !!!
  • slosh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slosh hero character
    I dig A but I almost feel like she should have 2 of them.
  • BurgerButt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Tectonic Good idea, I actually went and combo'd G and C after reading your comment. Thanks!
    @VinodSharma Thanks man, I hope it reaches a final state some time soon :smile:
    @slosh Yeah I was torn between that one and C personally. 'A' feels more like a quick dueling sword and 'C' feels more like a monster slayer, which is why 'C' eventually won me over. Looks more brootal :neutral:

I did some more armor mock ups, mixing up the Arm-Gauntlet, Battle-Skirt, Chest-Strap, and Sandals designs. The black isn't necessarily going to be the main color, it will likely be a dark green like her original armor. I just needed some quick tones to concept with. As always, any feedback is appreciated!

In some of them part of her chest is exposed, but I'm considering leaving it that way and keeping the masculine pecs. I kind of like her to be drifting somewhere between masculine and feminine, makes her feel more like a demigod / giant-slayer :star:

• Tectonic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I like the arm plates on 1 the most, I think it really fits with the original style of the character. the skirt on 2 and 7 are really nice with their decorations and bangles. she's looking super cool, the hype train is at full speed for me haha.