Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Hello. Please Rip My Work Apart.

evanderbilt
polycounter lvl 3
Offline / Send Message
evanderbilt polycounter lvl 3
Hi there. I've been a long-time lurker of Polycount's forums, and made a conscious decision that I'd get more involved once I'd honed my skills to an appropriate level. I'm creating this topic because now, not only do I think I have a decent portfolio under my belt, but I've actually found some tangible success in the industry.

I'm currently trying to decide what project to take on next, and which skills it should focus on (Houdini, Quixel Suite, ZBrush armor modeling, Python scripting, etc.). I'm trying to become an environment artist first and foremost, so any unbridled advice, feedback, or thoughts on my aspirations, and my website, are fully encouraged. I know Polycount has a well-earned reputation for high standards, so please be honest, as usual.

FYI, I am looking for my next long-term opportunity, so if you happen to be looking for someone with my skills, by all means reach out to me!

Complete Portfolio

Samples:

Replies

• Brian "Panda" Choi
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    Solid base.  Weakest is the dwarven mine, but that to me is simply a lighting issue (there's no strong focal point to it, etc.)  I can see assets in the last image fitting into our Bard's Tale game.

Your Hyperlink leads back to this thread.  Fix it if that is not supposed to happen.
  • evanderbilt
    Offline / Send Message
    evanderbilt polycounter lvl 3
    Solid base.  Weakest is the dwarven mine, but that to me is simply a lighting issue (there's no strong focal point to it, etc.)  I can see assets in the last image fitting into our Bard's Tale game.

Your Hyperlink leads back to this thread.  Fix it if that is not supposed to happen.

Link fixed. Thanks for the feedback!
  • Benvox2
    Offline / Send Message
    Benvox2 polycounter lvl 10
    Agreed, fairly solid. The desert ground in the first image is too flat, with no variation. You can also notice the texture tiling very easily. I would add a lot of rocks, variation in ground textures, and foliage. 

The blimp thing looks great! Only thing is that it should look like the props are spinning. Nice work!
  • Bletzkarn
    Offline / Send Message
    Bletzkarn polycounter lvl 6
    It's missing some photoshop post processing.

All look really good, they just look "unfinished".

They need to be colour corrected, levels adjusted. They need something to give them a cinematic look, slight vinette.
  • SaraSchwartz
    I agree that the lighting in the second image makes it weak.  The only other complaint is the lack of transition from grass to ground in the last image.  You have it in the second, but the last looks like stock grass slapped in for funsies.
  • SaraSchwartz
    Bletzkarn said:
    It's missing some photoshop post processing.

All look really good, they just look "unfinished".

They need to be colour corrected, levels adjusted. They need something to give them a cinematic look, slight vinette.
    On that note, yes, mess with the camera effects. 
  • jessnado
    Offline / Send Message
    jessnado polycounter lvl 2
    In general the assets look great!  You just need some more drama and focus which will come from lighting and camera composition. If you haven't already, try working with references specific to the lighting mood/ambiance you're trying to set per scene. Only additional thing may be to watch the tiling of the ground on the 2nd image but it's not too bad really!