Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Unity 5 - The Lab

polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
ken0y polycounter lvl 7
I couldn't think of a more original name for my latest Unity 5 project.

I wanted to try out a few new systems this time including volumetric fog/lighting, deferred decals and face weighted normals. I was also keen to try out a lighting scheme outside of the Michael Bay blue and orange go to. Lastly, I wanted to have a small animated clip to try and better capture the mood so I added in a particle and some animated lights.

Here is the video clip:

Cheers,

K

Replies

• Protokoll_Studio
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Protokoll_Studio polycounter lvl 4
    Really nice job. Like it :smile:
    Maybe you can decrease the speed of the light? Personally I think it this too fast
  • Chidambhar_Swaroop
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Chidambhar_Swaroop polycounter lvl 2
    Yo
    Nice job.... 
    If it is possible to slow that fast moving light, I think it would be much better, just as protocol studio as mentioned and the reason is, it is distracting from letting us see the work properly. Also the Glass in the right side whr u have added the blood, I think it would be better to add a little bit of dirt in the corner of the glass but at end of the day, it is ur choice bro .....
     :)   :)   :)
  • ken0y
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ken0y polycounter lvl 7
    Hey guys, thanks for the feedback :)

Yeh, the animated lights are the least realised part I guess, I'll try and spend some time refining or exploring another solution. I thought about having classic rotating alarm style light but thought the strip lights would be more sci-fi.  

In terms of the glass, I think that there is dirt on the texture but it somehow isn't coming through very well after I applied the custom/StandardAlphaBlended-VolumetricFog shader that came with the system. I'll play around with it though.

Cheers
  • nbac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nbac polycounter lvl 9
    very nice! what decal and volumetric light solution do you use - is it your own?
  • ken0y
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ken0y polycounter lvl 7
    @nbac Thanks!

I used the same volumetric light and fog system that Unity used for the Adam Demo:
    https://github.com/Unity-Technologies/VolumetricLighting

For the decals, I used a solution on the Unity store called Dynamic Decals. I'm not sure if we are allowed links to products but you can find it easily enough, it's very highly rated and great quality.

Cheers,

K
  • Regus12
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Regus12 null
    Very nice indeed! I hadn't realized such a good volumetric effect had been developed for Unity. Seems almost raytracer like in quality. 
  • Sage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sage polycounter lvl 19
    it sort of reminds me of when the scientist go enter a new environment of the alien movies., except the blues are a lot brighter in yours.