Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Rell [HaloGen]- Character WIP

polycounter lvl 2
Offline / Send Message
inttruth polycounter lvl 2
Hello everyone! I've started a new character based off of AfuChan's concept for the main character of HaloGen. I love their character designs so much! Here is the original concept:

I've started a very basic mesh for Rell, and started sculpting the head first. I am a little stuck; I can't seem to get her face looking just like the concept, so I would like any comments or critiques on getting her to look right. Thank you in advance! I'm really excited for this project!

Replies

• inttruth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I've decided that I'll just resculpt the face so it looks more like her side profile rather than the front facing pic. She looks like 3 different characters with the same body shape lol. I'll work on the face later, but for now, here is her bodywork:

Any C&C would be appreciated!

• aaronhiggins
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aaronhiggins polycounter lvl 3
    Her eyes in the reference images are pretty dour, maybe she's making a face, but I feel like you could nail her likeness if you drop her brows and accentuate her forehead. Her upper lip should be larger/wider as well. 

This is a very cool character, are you doing the masks as well?
  • inttruth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Her eyes in the reference images are pretty dour, maybe she's making a face, but I feel like you could nail her likeness if you drop her brows and accentuate her forehead. Her upper lip should be larger/wider as well. 

This is a very cool character, are you doing the masks as well?
    Thank you very much!
    Yeah, I've played around with her forehead a little bit but it protrudes too much in the side view. I figured if I could make her look like her 3/4ths side view at least, I'd feel a little better about it. I'll definitely fix up her lips too.

I've been thinking about making the mask too, but I'm not too sure at the moment. 
  • Iced_Latte
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Iced_Latte triangle
    Proportions look great so far! I think you can keep refining the hands and feet a little more. They seem to be smaller in the concept. Hope it helps a little :)

• inttruth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Proportions look great so far! I think you can keep refining the hands and feet a little more. They seem to be smaller in the concept. Hope it helps a little :)

Thank you very much! Yes I will flesh out the feet and hands some more. I didn't realize how small her hands are in the concept!
  • inttruth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    *edit*
    I made the mistake of making 3 threads of the same project I am so sorry! I messaged a moderator to take down the other two so this will be the main thread.

Here is my progress so far:
    Body:

Head:

The head/face is giving me more trouble than I expected. I'm trying harder to make the face look like the 3/4th's view. Any C&C would be appreciated!!
  • Pav3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pav3d insane polycounter
    Hello, Cool concept, id suggest using a lot of smoothing and polishing, since its cartoony you want only big round shapes, simplify those planes around the cheekbone

• Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I've merged the two threads that had replies into one thread, and removed the one with no replies.

Cool project, coming along nicely! She also seems to be lacking underlids below her eyes. Are you using any real-world anatomical reference? If not, you certainly should.

Will Smith's daughter might be a good face/head reference. A celeb is a good choice since there are bound to be a ton of angles.

• kreativbloc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kreativbloc polycounter lvl 3

Hey, id try this type of ear for starters. The one you have is too real for what you going imo. Id go with planes for the hair and some sort of zb hair brush for the twirly part. I also like how you did the shoulders. Hope this helps.
  • inttruth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you for all of the suggestions you guys! And sorry it took me so long to get back!! 
    I got really mad at working on the head so I just focused on the body for the past week and a half. There's still a little more I can do with the body sculpt like adding wrinkles and such, but im happy with the way it came out so far

I think I am going to duplicate the head again and go to town on it to make it look like the concept a bit more
    if there's any critique on the body or head please comment! thank you very much!!
  • inttruth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    A small update. Working on her face/head again. She's looking a lot better than she did last week.

@kreativbloc I tried giving her a simpler looking ear, but i wasn't happy with it, so i stuck with this one. 

Gonna push it some more, and I will put some hair on her next time.
    C&C always welcome! Thank you!

• Winstone
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Winstone polycounter lvl 5
    Looking great so far! 
  • inttruth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Winstone Thank you very much!

Just a small update, I'm trying to finalize the face, adding color and stuff. I lowered the eyelids and fixed her jaw some more. I figured I'd do the hair with a lot of sculpted tubes as the dreads, so this is just the start. The larger forms aren't going to be part of the hair, they are just guidelines. But here she is so far!

Any C&C is welcome! Thank you for your time!
  • inttruth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I've finished her sculpt! I'm gonna start retopology sometime this week. Gonna try to make her around 20k tris or lower since she's not a complicated character.
     I will update again when I start texturing!

• inttruth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Finally finished her! Here are some render shots and a Sketchfab viewer

model

Thank you all for your input! I can't wait for my next project!