Home Technical Talk

Krita Masterthread: 4.0 is out!

Wolthera
polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
Wolthera polycounter lvl 5
Hey!

I wanted to make a new thread for Krita 3.0+ because I couldn't edit the previous thread, being made by someone else.

Krita is a free open source painting program, with a ton of neat features and capabilities that make it worth checking out, such as the wraparound mode, the color management, openexr support, transform masks, flexible brush engine, layerstyles, and I bet a lot of people here could give their own examples of cool tools in Krita.

Krita 4.0 is out!

This release contains…

• New Text Tool
  • Improved Vector Tools
  • Python Scripting (With some example scripts written already)
  • Improved brush settings dialog
  • Colorize Mask
  • New Filters
  • A Ton of Fixes
  • And much much more
Feature video overview:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a-CY4hmkg_I

Bugs still go to bugs.kde.org. Here's a list of reported bugs!

Enjoy your new Krita!

Replies

• Wolthera
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    New builds! Bugfixes and also a cool new feature:

https://youtu.be/bbL7qeVAaC8
    And we have been moved to technical talk!
  • Wolthera
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Okay, the release candidate was out this week!

https://krita.org/item/krita-3-0-release-candidate-1-released/

We also posted a bunch of new builds on the KS page since then:
    https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/krita/krita-2016-lets-make-text-and-vector-art-awesome/posts/1582415

With information on the state of OSX, books translated to japanese, new brushkits, and more.

@Valerien has made a lovely overview of the new features:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k51OK2PlTz4

And we're at 2/3rds now. Let's hope we get the last 10k the coming weeks!
  • Wolthera
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Krita 3.0 released! *parties*

I removed the older updates, and added the link to the reported bugs list as @pior suggested!
    Enjoy!
  • TooLzor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TooLzor polycounter lvl 10
    I'm looking forward to making some scripts for Krita. 
    Is scripting only going to be looked at if the 10k stretch gets hit? It seems like it might be a very important (and also very large to implement as well of course) thing to add to the project. I'd rationalize it as, when you add scripting possibilities then it can take some of the load off of you guys as devs cause others can step in to supplement 
  • Wolthera
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @TooLzor, well, Krita's kickstarters always have had voting so it would be 'reach the stretchgoal and be voted on'. As you get five votes and you can spent all five on a single stretchgoal, we're kinda expecting python scripting to go into the list if we get that high anyway. Same thing happened with animated file formats last year, and layerstyles the year before that.

Here's some more info and some crazy tablet-bug stuff: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/krita/krita-2016-lets-make-text-and-vector-art-awesome/posts/1594238

• Wolthera
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The more or less final voting results from the Kickstarter are in:

Congratulations, It's a python

Also a screenshot of the first python docker(a little interpreter window that can access the only Krita python API currently existing: open window count). Also in post: more news on development, including animated fileformat export.
  • AtticusMars
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AtticusMars greentooth
    Didn't know where else to put this but is anyone else having problems getting Fuzzy Stroke to work?

It appears fine when painting in the brush palette, but there doesn't appear to be any variation at all when using it on the actual canvas.

Using 3.0.1-x64 Portable.

Edit: By the way the color I had selected was red. So it is changing the color somehow, there just isn't any variation at all, it's always green.
  • Defunct
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Defunct polycounter lvl 10
    Didn't know where else to put this but is anyone else having problems getting Fuzzy Stroke to work?
    Yeah, I get the same problem. I'm getting orange instead of green though.
    3.0.1 x64 Installer.
  • JedTheKrampus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JedTheKrampus polycounter lvl 8
    I'm using the 3.0.1 appimage on Debian 8 and it's working correctly. It must be a Windows-specific bug (somehow.)
  • AtticusMars
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AtticusMars greentooth
    Thanks for checking guys, seems like it's already in the bug tracker twice (though its status is unconfirmed.) Guess I'll just wait for it to get fixed.
  • Wolthera
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The fuzzy stroke is broken, yes, it was actually three times in the bugtracker, and only the first was confirmed. It's a windows only bug in all cases.

Anyway, we did have a bugfix release made, I was waiting for it to come out so that less people would be annoyed by the brush-resize lag:
    https://krita.org/en/item/new-stable-and-development-builds/

Also, the 3.0.2 build has all sorts of new goodies at the cost of being super unstable. Bugs go to bugs.kde.org.

• Wolthera
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Krita 3.1 is out! Now with OSX support!

Also has new features like...
    • Rendering out gif, mkv, mp4, ogg with ffmpeg!
    • Animation curves for tweening(opacity only for now)
    • Also the ability to color label frames arbitrarily(very useful to keep your animation organised)
    • And the ability to animate masks and filter layer coverage!
    • New brush engine that works fast without using openGL 3.0
    • New Color Selector that can select colors beyond the sRGB gamut!
    • Halftone filter!
    • Stop based gradient editor
    Feature video overview:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0eHNll7lPKk

• Defunct
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm porting some of my photoshop brushes over to Krita and I can't seem to figure out how to get the brush's texture to only show when pen pressure is low. I messed around with the cutoff and strength settings but that didn't really work. Anyone know how ?

• Wolthera
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yes, there seems to be a bug there. I managed to do this by using a texture that was very bright instead of mid-tones. It might also help to set texture offset to randomise, so that at the very least each stroke builds up.
  • Defunct
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Wolthera Thanks, I got it working now. The random offset helps. I couldn't get it to work with bright textures though.
    The other brush tip that I was using wasn't fully opaque so that was also causing problems. These settings did the trick.

• AtticusMars
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AtticusMars greentooth
    I'm getting frequent stuttering while painting in the last version. Not entirely sure what is causing it, the entire application seems to freeze including the cursor  roughly half a second. Anyone else having this issue or know how to solve it?
  • JedTheKrampus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm having a similar issue, but usually at the start and end of the stroke. Do you get stutters in the middle of a stroke?
  • AtticusMars
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AtticusMars greentooth
    Same, except usually at the end.
  • Wolthera
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That's probably instant preview. https://docs.krita.org/Instant_Preview

Basically, late in dev it was requested to remove the instant preview loading bar on small strokes because that flickered a lot, but that means that it isn't as easy to tell where the miniscule lag comes from. You can either turn off instant preview globally, or turn it off per brush. We've discussed trying to have instant preview off based on brush size, but it isn't implemented yet.

• AtticusMars
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AtticusMars greentooth
    I suspected that too, but turning instant preview on/off globally or per brush doesn't seem to matter and I get the issue regardless of canvas/brush size, even with small pixel brushes on small canvases I have the issue.

Edit: Also I was wrong, I am getting it mid-stroke
  • JedTheKrampus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I've had lag spikes that didn't seem to be instant-preview related (e.g. they've also happened after changing a blending mode or picking a color.) But I'm having a hard time reproducing them reliably.
  • thomasp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    arise, thread!

just set up 3.1.4 on mac and windows and am glad that it finally lets me reassign hotkeys properly. now, just wondering if it's somehow possible to assign a key to a (favourite) brush preset?

i'd like to have it working like in PS, affinity, et al where there's B for paintbrush, S for smudge tool, C for clone, E for eraser and so on. in krita, most of these are brush presets, not tools. any way to access them directly regardless?

• JedTheKrampus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think most people usually use the popup palette for that sort of thing.
  • Wolthera
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    There isn't such a thing in regular Krita, but we managed to make a python script in 4.0 that allowed you to attach 10 brushes to ctrl+1-0. Sadly, we haven't managed to get Windows binaries nor OS X appbundles nor Appimages to find the scripting plugin, so you'll have to wait until we do.

In other news, the first 4.0 development build is out!

Please read the announcement carefully before using!

• Wolthera
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Krita 4.0 is out! Python Scripting, new Text tool, improved vector tools, new filters like the height to normal map, and much much much more!
  • ExcessiveZero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ExcessiveZero polycounter lvl 6
    Wolthera said:
    Krita 4.0 is out! Python Scripting, new Text tool, improved vector tools, new filters like the height to normal map, and much much much more!

sweet, thx for the headsup, would like better transform tools and a bit more brush performance but the height to normals is cool, using krita instead of photoshop for most of my workflow now.
  • Wolthera
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wolthera said:

sweet, thx for the headsup, would like better transform tools and a bit more brush performance but the height to normals is cool, using krita instead of photoshop for most of my workflow now.
    Ah, we did actually do work on brush performance: we multi-threaded the brush tip calculation for the pixel brush. I have no idea if it hits the goldilocks zone for you yet. We're hoping to have other brush engines multi-threaded too, but it requires rearranging the existing logic so needs to be done on a case-by-case basis.

There's a ton of other features that I didn't list, but I felt it'd be a little obnoxious to list the 20ish major items we have on the release notes page everywhere.
  • frmdbl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    frmdbl polycounter
    Hey guys, a bit of a necrobump, but there's no newer threads regarding Krita.

Recently Krita received a Megagrant from Epic, which as they state aims to provide financial grants to creative, noteworthy, and innovative projects built in and around Unreal Engine or projects that enhance the open-source 3D graphics ecosystem.

I made a few suggestion regarding Krita's usability when it comes to creating textures for UE4,
    Boudewijn Rempt, the main developer ignored them without exception.

there's at least one huge issue for me,
    e.g Krita doesn't preserve colors when exporting alpha.
    I really makes it not work for stuff like vegetation.

Is it just me or is it fucked up that they receive a grant from Epic and they ignore this?
    Does anyone know of a way to contact the Epic MegaGrants team and see if they're ok with it?

• RN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RN sublime tool
    @femdbl this looks like a bug. Did you file a bug report on their tracker?
  • frmdbl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    frmdbl polycounter
    I made a thread on their forum back in 2018, the main developer posted there, but there was no further interest.
    I expained everything in detail. I really don't have the patience to do this again in a bug report, I don't care anymore either.

I'm not really sure it's even a bug, that's how alpha works in Krita by design.
    I wanted to replace Photoshop, so I don't have to buy subscription when I do freelance stuff and I found a replacement.

I made a general thread today about how is the Epic grant being spent and if the game related featured are getting any love, tbh I didn't expect the answer I got.

• PolyHertz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PolyHertz polycount lvl 666
    I hate to say it, but Krita is a complete mess. There's no way it would be in such a state if the devs actually listened to what users wanted, and so I very much doubt the Epic money will be spent wisely.
  • RN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RN sublime tool
    frmdbl said:
    @RN
    I made a thread on their forum back in 2018, the main developer posted there, but there was no further interest.
    I expained everything in detail. I really don't have the patience to do this again in a bug report, I don't care anymore either.
    I still think a bug report could've gone a different way, as other developers could've looked at it (and they would have more stock to persuade the lead). 
    It's part of the PNG specification to be able to set colors on fully transparent pixels, so all of that background should be colored as you want it, period. This article here even describes the problems that arise if transparent pixels get overriden with some default color by your image software during export, like it's happening to you with Krita: http://www.adriancourreges.com/blog/2017/05/09/beware-of-transparent-pixels/
    I wanted to replace Photoshop, so I don't have to buy subscription when I do freelance stuff and I found a replacement.
    Some people go to Affinity Photo as a PS alternative, the company even makes it a point to show a "NO SUBSCRIPTION" message on their showcase videos, probably to attract that crowd heh.
    I made a general thread today about how is the Epic grant being spent and if the game related featured are getting any love, tbh I didn't expect the answer I got.
    Sorry to hear that. I don't know what tone you used, I'm assuming you were polite. Anyway, you asked an annoying question and it's now there for all to see what their response was, this is always useful.
  • frmdbl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    frmdbl polycounter

That main developer (Boudewijn) said, they have <200.000 euro a year with the grant, I don't know if that means close to that or way less. If it's the first, it seems like a lot of money for a project of quite limited scope compared to Blender.

I guess there are other priorities though and making it a texturing app for games isn't one of them.

• After so many months of bug fixes, Dmitry really wants to work on one or two new brush engines: the first has thin bristles that could each have their own color. Sara mentions she really misses a brush like this. The other engine would be more like a calligraphy tool. Dmitry estimates needing two months per engine, which is quite a bit of time.
    I get it, the brush engine is quite good, but maybe enough has been done there.

Also, the last part of this:

In 2018/2019 the focus was fully on fixing bugs. There are now two full-time developers working on fixing bugs and improving stability more than this time last year, and both Boudewijn and Dmitry have dedicated all their coding time to fixing bugs as well. Weirdly enough, that doesn’t seems to make much of a dent in our number of open bugs:

I might exaggerate a little, but must be a dream job working on a mess you've created fixing bugs, but also adding new stuff like bristles that each have their own color (that Sara misses) which create new bugs that you can work on.
    It's definitely a steady source of income:)

Perhaps Krita was a mess to start with though, and they've just inherited it.
    But maybe it would have been better to start from scratch then.

Some people go to Affinity Photo as a PS alternative, the company even makes it a point to show a "NO SUBSCRIPTION" message on their showcase videos, probably to attract that crowd heh.
    That's the alternative I found. It's not ideal, but it gets the job done.
    I impulse bought it when it was on sale, but it didn't work for me if only for the simple reason of lacking .tga export.

Funnily enough after I got frustrated with Krita just today, I downloaded an update for Affinity Photo and they added .tga export just weeks ago I think.

Also, PS filters work, so I can get texture padding/dilation (another thing missing in Krita).
    Colors are also preserved when exporting, but only for a collapsed layer.

Sorry to hear that. I don't know what tone you used, I'm assuming you were polite. Anyway, you asked an annoying question and it's now there for all to see what their response was, this is always useful.
    Well, I made it clear that I'm frustraded that nothing is being done when it comes to gamedev and that I hope it will change with the grant at least to some extent.
    I didn't use any offensive language.

The dev said, that it will go towards 'development dependability' and brushed me off the 2nd time (I wanted to make a more general point about textures/ game engine related features).
    I made it clear again that this is very disappointing and a waste of money for Epic. :)

It's not just this alpha issue that's the problem, I just find the general attitude of that guy very discouraging.
  • RN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RN sublime tool
    I did find your thread over at the KDE forums. The important point is that the dev said for you to file a bug report, because forum posts won't be considered like that, they're more to discuss usability, like users helping each other find out how to do a certain thing. 

A bug report can be catalogued, kept track of, closed, assigned etc. and there's that benefit that I mentioned of other developers being able to look at it. Someone might think of a way to fix it.

-----
    Your time would've been better spent writing a nice concise bug report and moving on, rather than engaging in politics and financials (that's their business, or well, theirs and their Kickstarter patrons').
  • frmdbl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    frmdbl polycounter
    because forum posts won't be considered like that, they're more to discuss usability

@RN

That's exactly what I wanted, to discuss the possibility of focusing a little on texturing workflow related issues (given the MegaGrant).

That 'bug' was just an example.

Anyway, you're right about the bug report (though again the bug is just a small part of my point),

but now I don't care. Krita's dead to me :)

• RN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RN sublime tool
    Hehe understood. I'm glad you found Affinity, anyway.

I still like Krita for sketching (like roughs), despite the quirks. At this point I'm too used to it to drop it.
  • WitchDev
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    WitchDev node
    frmdbl said:

there's at least one huge issue for me,
    e.g Krita doesn't preserve colors when exporting alpha.

That just works for me, exporting as png or tif keeps my (hidden/transparent) color information.
  • frmdbl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    frmdbl polycounter

It definitely doesn't work for me in the latest stable builds (it did work some time ago though in earlier versions).

I export this texture, which has a proper padding as you might see in the miniature.

That's how it look exported and imported back. Also it looks the same in Blender and Photoshop.
    And same with the transparency mask applied.

• pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    FWIW, might as well report this as the devs are watching this thread : as of the latest version (4.2.8 downloaded just a few days ago), there are still issues with cursor offset on tablets. More specifically, in my case : unusable on a Cintiq21x *not* used as a main monitor. Yet no issues with any version of Photoshop (CS5.1, CC2019, CC2020) and the latest Clip Studio Paint.
  • WitchDev
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    WitchDev node
    Weird it just works for me, I'm using 4.2.8 with Windows 10.
  • Prime8
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    Prime8 interpolator
    I gave it a try with my outdated version 4.1.5 and it worked as expected, after updating to 4.2.8 it fails as well.
    There is a workaround I found in a bug report, but that only works on one layer.
    1) Select the layer you would like to export
    2) Right Click -> Split Alpha
    3) Select new transparency mask, right click, Save Merged

WitchDev said:
    Weird it just works for me, I'm using 4.2.8 with Windows 10.
    Weird indeed, because it stops working for me in 4.2.8