Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Clementine - Telltale's TWD

Replies

• GravityBwlast
    Offline / Send Message
    GravityBwlast interpolator
    This looks really good!
    Especially the jeans and jacket. Looking forward to see the textured thing!
  • JimmyRustler
    Offline / Send Message
    JimmyRustler polycounter lvl 8
    @GravityBwlast
    Thank you! Can't wait to get into texturing myself. Going to go all out into it!
  • Tits
    Offline / Send Message
    Tits mod
    Hey there!
    Nice progress!
    however I do feel like the clothing fold definitly do need a bit more work, especially on the legs and on the bag.
    I think the legs are very thin and shapeless at the moment, adding a bit more curves and forms to her leg, so they feel a bit less like long sticks. I know she is ''skinny'' but even skinny legs have some curves and shape to them. Also the way you sculpted the clothes makes it looks a bit more like soft cotton than jeans, the straps on the legs don't have any depth to them at the moment.
    Do you have a reference for the bag ? right now it jus looks extremely folder all over like a sagging fabric bag, however it does keep its shape quite well which makes the intensity of the fold looks a bit odd to me.
    Anyway I hope this make sens and I'm enjoying following the progress on this :) keep up the good work!
  • JimmyRustler
    Offline / Send Message
    @Tits
    Thank you for the suggestion! 

I'll keep body shape in mind, will revisit the proportion to accentuate the silhouette. Totally agree with you on that one, as i feel like it looks too plain on the legs. Will revisit the folds as well.

Yes, i uses references for everything. It looks sagging because the references i used is an empty bag actually, haha, stupid me :| . And forgot to play around with the main shape, so it looks weirdly boxy, while everything is saggy.

Those bag folds is a quick early work, so nothing of value was lost, totally redoing those based on your input. Will search more ref on how stuff inside the bag will affect the shape, making it more realistic.

Thanks for the feedback, very helpful and i appreciated it!
    Fan of your work, by the way. Been waiting for your Shiva to be posed for presentation.

• JimmyRustler
    Offline / Send Message
    Just build my brand new PC (yay!), could handle my old highpoly model easily now. Well, i guess i will be finishing this one now!

A quick new short hair for Clem, and updated detail of her face. Felt like a drastic change, am afraid to lose the likeness without her usual hair and hat....

• HarlequinWerewolf
    Offline / Send Message
    HarlequinWerewolf polycounter
    Sweet necro! I love seeing the progress from the very first image, in what, 2014? This is looking awesome, I love the updated hair and I can definitely see the likeness. Looking forward to seeing more!
  • JimmyRustler
    Offline / Send Message
    @LeahM Thanks. Yeah, i have a lot of unfinished projects in my hard drive. I upgraded my hardware recently, so it really help!

A bit updated look on her face, hair, and cloth. I'll be using alpha cards for the final hair, this is just to show where i'm going with my version of older Clem.

• JimmyRustler
    Offline / Send Message

Long time no update. Been busy with work schedule. Updated her looks, and finished lowpoly of her head. Hair, eyelashes, and eye is just a placeholder for now, just to see how she look.
  • JimmyRustler
    Offline / Send Message
  • fullpinkdog
    Offline / Send Message
    fullpinkdog greentooth
    Don't have much feedback for you, but it's awesome work, dude!
  • JimmyRustler
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you, @fullpinkdog
    There's still a lot of improvement to be made. Just now i made some scar and fresh wound for her face.

• JimmyRustler
    Offline / Send Message

Small update. Have to do knife and backpack next
  • JimmyRustler
    Offline / Send Message
    I think i'm done with the head texture, unless there's a suggestion. 
    A better presentation with a better lightning. Hairs are just a shitty high poly mock up using 3dsmax hair and fur

• JimmyRustler
    Offline / Send Message
    Modeled a kukri for her weapon just now. More detail  on the texture later. I'm going to do retopo legs first.

• slosh
    Offline / Send Message
    slosh hero character
    This is looking really nice!  Looking forward to more!  Hah, I made the comment without having seen the second page of updates.  The hair looks very stringy to me...just kinda...odd.  Not sure if its just fibermesh going crazy or you have actual cards but its not reading like hair.  I think you need to clump your strands more like hair would naturally do.  The only time hair would get that way is maybe on more afro/dread like styles and Clem doesn't really have that.  For the dirt, it looks very thrown on and the placement doesn't make sense.  For wear and tear (inc dirt) you really want to pick your spots and add them where they make the most sense.  dirt would accumulate towards the ends of sleeves or the bottom of the jacket as well as in crevices, etc.  wear would occur where fabric would rub against each other or other garment pieces or towards the hands where you get the most contact.  I would gather a lot of ref to make sure the wear itself looks correct per material...leather wears differently then cloth, etc.  the base sculpts and the bakes seem pretty solid but the texturing needs work.  For her head, I would ease up on the cuts and blood unless you plan on altering her expression to match.  Might be cool to give her like one open wound but the rest are healed scars.  Adding expression gets tricky unless you plan on revisiting the sculpt to add the subtle facial deformations that occur with almost any expression.
  • JimmyRustler
    Offline / Send Message
    slosh said:
    This is looking really nice!  Looking forward to more!  Hah, I made the comment without having seen the second page of updates.  The hair looks very stringy to me...just kinda...odd.  Not sure if its just fibermesh going crazy or you have actual cards but its not reading like hair.  I think you need to clump your strands more like hair would naturally do.  The only time hair would get that way is maybe on more afro/dread like styles and Clem doesn't really have that.  For the dirt, it looks very thrown on and the placement doesn't make sense.  For wear and tear (inc dirt) you really want to pick your spots and add them where they make the most sense.  dirt would accumulate towards the ends of sleeves or the bottom of the jacket as well as in crevices, etc.  wear would occur where fabric would rub against each other or other garment pieces or towards the hands where you get the most contact.  I would gather a lot of ref to make sure the wear itself looks correct per material...leather wears differently then cloth, etc.  the base sculpts and the bakes seem pretty solid but the texturing needs work.  For her head, I would ease up on the cuts and blood unless you plan on altering her expression to match.  Might be cool to give her like one open wound but the rest are healed scars.  Adding expression gets tricky unless you plan on revisiting the sculpt to add the subtle facial deformations that occur with almost any expression.
    Thank you for the kind words, and for the suggestions! Appreciated it!
    Yeah, since having substance painter ease my texturing workflow, i developed a bad habit of just slapping some smart material in it and calling it done. IT IS an obvious flaw, of course, as some senior like you guys could've spotted it.

I usually added more touch on the texturing after i've done retopo-ing everything. This is all just to show off the bakes and an initial texture color for presentation. But sometimes, in the end, if i ever got bored, i'll just go 'eh, it looks good enough' and decided to not going further on the textures. I'll try to revisit them this time..maybe..idk

For the hair, yeah its a hair and fur menace, just to show the shape and volume of what i was going for, instead of being bald (she actually looks fine being bald). No hair cards yet. And for the scar, theres actually a healed scar right above her eyebrow, under her right eye, and just to the right of her mouth. The fresh and open one are only around her upper lips.

For the expression, let me see if i can do it by just moving aroung the vertices a little bit. If not, yeah, i could go back and add some subtle expression.
  • JimmyRustler
    Offline / Send Message
    Finished retopoing them all. Some base texture to show off where im going.
    Just needed one more prop, a bag with with a ripped and torn version of her signature hat. The idea that her hat was no longer possible for her to use, and she tied it to her bag as a reminder.
    After that the hair cards, and then overall texture tweak..

• JimmyRustler
    Offline / Send Message
    Been busy with work,....and Sekiro :p .
    A little update. Been working on the bag sculpt, and her alpha hair. Here's the first pass on her hair. Still needed more refinement, looks ugly and doesnt mesh really well. Any advice are welcomed, especially on her hair. Its still pretty light on the polycount. I'm targeting around 10k for the hair (is it over kill?), and so far for the base it took only 1.5k tris.

• JimmyRustler
    Offline / Send Message
    Update. Better hair. I'm definitely happy with this one, just needed more tweak to make her hair looks a bit more fluffy. 3k tris so far