Home General Discussion

E3 2017

high dynamic range
Offline / Send Message
Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
Who's going to be in town?  We should do a casual Polycount meetup.

Replies

• Brian "Panda" Choi
    Offline / Send Message
    Anyone still down to clown?
  • Swizzle
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Offline / Send Message
    I mean, I'll find a clown costume and make it happen/
  • Blond
    Offline / Send Message
    Blond polycounter lvl 9
    Mmm got no hype this year..all the games sure looks like one another...Can't stand shooters and zombie games anymore....
  • beefaroni
    Offline / Send Message
    beefaroni sublime tool
    Blond said:
    Mmm got no hype this year..all the games sure looks like one another...Can't stand shooters and zombie games anymore....
    What are you watching? 

The Microsoft press conference is great. They really seem to have something for everyone. 
  • JordanN
    Offline / Send Message
    JordanN interpolator
    Blond said:
    I feel like I've gotten much older now that the only games that excite me are the ones that offer something different whereas when I was younger, I would hype up any new title.

The push into learning game art has made me cynical about graphics. Lots of polygons and detailed lighting is great, but like you said, if it's just spent on a shooter with brown tonemapping, then I'm gonna tap out.

However, Microsoft's conference did offer more than just the shooter. They had Ori, Sea of Thieves, this 80's style cyberpunk pixel game, a platformer Super Lucky's Tale and more indies. So I'll commend them on that.
  • PolyHertz
    Offline / Send Message
    PolyHertz polycount lvl 666
    Yea, both Ori and The Last Night looked great. For those that missed the MS conference:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2kPSl2vyu2Y
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n4IPBiB7SF4
  • Fuiosg
    Offline / Send Message
    Fuiosg polycounter lvl 5
    Blond said:
    Had a similar reaction, I felt old watching this. Microsoft has a very derivative and safe approach that I can't stand, but I can appreciate what they're doing with the hardware. 4k/60fps for a $500 console, confirmed for Forza at least, is fairly impressive.
  • [Deleted User]
    Offline / Send Message
    [Deleted User] insane polycounter
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Ged
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    Ori and The Last Night look great! the art in this demo looks really impressive too! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kHwsDN57Ts0
  • notman
    Offline / Send Message
    notman polycounter lvl 18
    I was only 'meh' about the MS conference. I felt like they kept trying to blur the lines, between what was, and was not, an exclusive title. They had very similar text, before each video, and would just add 'exclusive' when it was relevant. It was easy for viewers to get confused (and several of my friends were). 
    I also thought they kept pushing 4k, and 'the most powerful console', but then showed off games that used pixalation as an art style. Nothing was blowing me away, about the potential of 4k. None of the games that were visually impressive, were exclusives. So, if they were trying to convince me that I needed an XBox One X (Stupid name... XBOX is the acronym), they completely failed.

Given, I have a PS4 Pro, but I was hoping there might be something to make me want the X, since the Pro didn't come with the UHD player. I don't feel like they offered enough to justify the additional $100 pricing, over the PS4 Pro. Admittedly, it is more powerful, but I don't need Minecraft in 4k.

Looking forward to Sony and Ubisoft today. I'd like to see more of Assassin's Creed Origins. I was hoping Ubisoft would take a longer break, to refocus, and stabilize their game engine (as they suggested last year), but apparently not. The game does look amazing, but bugs have been plaguing that series (yet I'm still excited). 
  • samnwck
    Offline / Send Message
    samnwck polycounter lvl 9
    Man a new Ori, the first one was probably one of my favorite new IP's in a while, and Anthem actually looks really good. Also Wolfenstein has me real pumped as well, I love altered history stories.

Edit: Just watched The Last Night trailer. Damn that is how a low detail game is produced for a modern rendering engine. I'm very interested to see some gameplay.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xHht8480cEo
  • PixelMasher
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelMasher veteran polycounter
    oh hell yea, new wolfenstien. Doom and Wolf have both been the best shooters I have played in a long while, just pure fun.

anthem looks super sick in terms of visuals and art. looking forward to what sony shows for last of us 2 and god of war.....
  • Jesse Moody
    Offline / Send Message
    Jesse Moody polycounter lvl 17
    I'll be down at the conference on Wednesday. Anyone that is down to get together, hangout or whatever hit me up here or on facebook.

• littleclaude
    Offline / Send Message
    littleclaude quad damage
    Star Wars Battlefront 2 Official Gameplay Trailer, dam it looks pin sharp :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TBq7OeZS1fc
  • R3D
    Offline / Send Message
    R3D interpolator
    "Sir, our fans have been asking for years for a new IP based on black flags core gameplay but without the Assassins creed elements, they want a epic pirate adventure"

"I know, we'll give them a 5v5 PVP 'RPG' with microtransactions"

"Genius! Like For Honor with ships!"
    "Fantastic!"
    "Yes, thats exactly what they want!"
    No but seriously I hope it's good. Ubisoft really hit out of the park imo.
  • Mstankow
    Offline / Send Message
    Mstankow polycounter lvl 11
    Ubisoft had a better conference than Microsoft this year. I am now aboard the Rabbids hype train.
  • throttlekitty
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EAYN08YoaV8

Holy shit, nice work on the trailer, whoever you are.
  • Fuiosg
    Offline / Send Message
    Fuiosg polycounter lvl 5
    Strong showing from Ubisoft, that Mario/Rabbids game looks so unique.
  • Odow
    Offline / Send Message
    Odow polycounter lvl 8
    I want art breakdown of The last night *_*
  • Blond
    Offline / Send Message
    Blond polycounter lvl 9
    Ubisoft got a few surprises this year. Unfortunately, I was hopeful for the new AC entry but the more I see, the less I'm interested...

As for Sony now...well, can't say much. It wasn't bad per say but way less surprising than last year. The spider-man game looked really interesting until spidey started swinging around; it completely loks weak and slow as hell compared to the past activision games...

One thing I like though is the scale of the building. For the first time in an open world, skyscrapers arent too small or look like toys.
    Too many QTE though.

New GOW looks savage as *****!!!
  • Kwramm
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    beautiful artwork - many games which I would love to romp through in "easy mode" just to see the art. But gameplay wise I haven't come across anything that really excites me... except maybe Skyrim VR - if there's a game ("world") made for VR then it's this. But it needs a PC version.
  • ZacD
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    What are people actually going to call the Xbox One X for short? XboneX? XOX?
  • jesusblasco
    Offline / Send Message
    jesusblasco polycounter lvl 2
    ZacD said:
    Triple X hahaha
  • notman
    Offline / Send Message
    That's why the name is so dumb. As I mentioned above, seems like it should be X.B.O.X.... not confusing at all.

I thought Ubisoft's conference destroyed everyone. Beyond Good and Evil 2, and Skull & Bones both got me pretty excited.

MS's conference was pretty bad, and Sony didn't do much better. They offered some good games, but nothing mind blowing. Spiderman and Detroit looked really impressive though. I'm curious where they are going with Detroit though, because the game's perspective was different from what they presented last year.
  • Steve Schulze
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    Call it the XBoneX sounds like username of the obnoxious 13 year old inevitably squaking over voice in any FPS you care to play.
  • ZacD
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    We could also call it the 1.5
  • slipsius
    notman said:
    ... Detroit looked really impressive though. I'm curious where they are going with Detroit though, because the game's perspective was different from what they presented last year.
    I disagree. The problem is last years presentation didnt really show the gameplay like this one did. I say gameplay, though Im not entirely sure that's accurate. The whole trailer made it look as if you're just watching an interactive movie, where you get to choose what happens next. I like that idea though, and im all for trying it out when it releases.
  • Mstankow
    Offline / Send Message
    Two new Metroid Games. Nintendo won E3 forever for me. (Mercury Steam is developing a Metroid 2 remake for 3DS.)
  • thomasp
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    the BG:E trailer looked the business but i'm quite confused as to why they have unearthed this old IP related to a single title from the PS2/GC era which was not even that big a success (as i recall - liked it though)? i know there was a second part in the works around 2008 or the like that got canned. not sure either if those cartoony characters from the original work too well translated into semi-realistic glory either. that pig... ewww. ;)
    i did get a nice 5th element vibe from it which is always a plus though. infact would rather want to see that as a game now!

• Ruflse
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruflse polycounter lvl 6
    Nintendo won, baby.

• melviso
    Offline / Send Message
    melviso polycounter lvl 10
    I think we need something new and innovative probably risky even. It's like the devs decided to play it safe this time around. 

Glad to see Beyond Good and Evil. Its been a long time waiting.
  • Ged
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    hahaha oh that mario frog made me laugh. !he kirby game looks pretty nice as well
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cc3PAAije0Y
  • cptSwing
    Offline / Send Message
    cptSwing polycounter lvl 11
    Any pirate game is fine by me.
  • notman
    Offline / Send Message
    slipsius said:
    notman said:
    ... Detroit looked really impressive though. I'm curious where they are going with Detroit though, because the game's perspective was different from what they presented last year.
    I disagree. The problem is last years presentation didnt really show the gameplay like this one did. I say gameplay, though Im not entirely sure that's accurate. The whole trailer made it look as if you're just watching an interactive movie, where you get to choose what happens next. I like that idea though, and im all for trying it out when it releases.
    Good point... I don't think I was analyzing it enough, to realize it may all just be a long interactive movie. If that's the case, I would be extremely disappointed. I can see that it may be exactly that though :(

Nintendo did little to impress me... same loop they've been in. I missed the conference, but it seems like all they did was announce a bunch of games, using the same old IPs. Did I miss all those third party games, that they suggested were on the horizon, earlier this year?
  • Tobbo
    Offline / Send Message
    Tobbo polycounter lvl 11
    Skull & Bones looks awesome! :smiley: It seems like I remember Ubisoft originally tried to have naval warfare in the multiplayer of AC Black Flag but ran into some problems and had to scrap it in order to ship.  
  • wirrexx
    Offline / Send Message
    wirrexx ngon master
    ZacD said:
    X1X
  • RaptorCWS
    Offline / Send Message
    RaptorCWS polycounter lvl 11
    wirrexx said:
    ZacD said:
    X1X
    X
    BOX
    One
    X
  • Fuiosg
    Offline / Send Message
    Fuiosg polycounter lvl 5
    ZacD said:
    XOX kinda sounds like sux. They really paint themselves into a corner with these names.
  • Hito
    Offline / Send Message
    Hito interpolator
    Blond said:
    checkout Ashen and Starchild.
  • Mstankow
    Offline / Send Message
    notman said:
    slipsius said:
    notman said:
    Good point... I don't think I was analyzing it enough, to realize it may all just be a long interactive movie. If that's the case, I would be extremely disappointed. I can see that it may be exactly that though :(

Nintendo did little to impress me... same loop they've been in. I missed the conference, but it seems like all they did was announce a bunch of games, using the same old IPs. Did I miss all those third party games, that they suggested were on the horizon, earlier this year?
    Nintendo is literally releasing a big new IP tomorrow. And I would defend their titles announced for their old IPs cause the new Mario looks like the most risky Mario release is ages. And we haven't had a new Metroid in 7 years.
    But Nintendo's announcement cycle is weird these days cause they do NIntendo Directs about once a month. I think the third party one was done back in March.
  • Mstankow
  • PolyHertz
    Offline / Send Message
    PolyHertz polycount lvl 666
    Mstankow said:
    we haven't had a new Metroid in 7 years.
    10 years since the last critically acclaimed one (Metroid Prime 3). Nintendo fans were rather unhappy with Other M and Federation Force overall.

Seems odd Nintendo is still putting so many resources into producing 3DS games considering the systems age and piracy issues (modded 3DS's can apparently even download and play any game off the eshop without paying). One eshop dev over on neogaf today was talking about how a critically acclaimed eshop-only game he worked on had failed to break 500 sales worldwide after a few months of being available...just doesn't seem like a wise decision to be making games for it these days.
  • Mstankow
    Offline / Send Message
    PolyHertz said:
    Mstankow said:
    we haven't had a new Metroid in 7 years.
    10 years since the last critically acclaimed one (Metroid Prime 3). Nintendo fans were rather unhappy with Other M and Federation Force overall.

Seems odd Nintendo is still putting so many resources into producing 3DS games considering the systems age and piracy issues (modded 3DS's can apparently even download and play any game off the eshop without paying). One eshop dev over on neogaf today was talking about how a critically acclaimed eshop-only game he worked on had failed to break 500 sales worldwide after a few months of being available...just doesn't seem like a wise decision to be making games for it these days.
    I think Metroid makes sense cause Mercury Steam already had everything in place for a Metroid game. But I imagine Mirror of Fate had to be a big thing with greenlighting that game. I also wonder cause Mirror of Fate was later ported to other platforms. I would rather play any game on Switch over 3DS just because the screen is so much better.
  • Mstankow
    Offline / Send Message
    The Phil Spencer interview on Giant Bomb is amazing (e3 live day 2). It gives me faith that Microsoft is thinking long term with their brand and will really reap the benefits of their decisions in the years to come.
  • notman
    Offline / Send Message
    Mstankow said:
    New Nintendo IP.

Ok, I meant good IPs. And, not clear by the video, but it looks to be 3DS only? I was referring more to switch titles
  • Fuiosg
    Offline / Send Message
    Fuiosg polycounter lvl 5
    notman said:
    Mstankow said:
    New Nintendo IP.

Ok, I meant good IPs. And, not clear by the video, but it looks to be 3DS only? I was referring more to switch titles
    Bah, I'll never get why polycount seems to have a general disdain for nintendo.  ARMS is a really beautiful game, with the most creative character design i've seen out of a new IP in ages. 
  • slipsius
    Polycount tends to be a lot of indie devs, or people who support indie devs. So when Nintendo falls behind in that regard, focusing on 1st party games only while sony and microsoft make it easier and easier for people like us, ya, we outgrow the nostalgia of nintendo being top dog in the industry and judge them based on what they're doing in todays market. 

Don't get me wrong. I love a lot of their IPs. I love a lot of their games. I think they are a HUGE part of the gaming industry's foundation. I would just much rather see them stop with the systems and just put those IPs on the other systems. I also think they would make BANK if they did that. 

At least, that's how I feel about it. Not sure why others have the disdain. 

• Fuiosg
    Offline / Send Message
    Fuiosg polycounter lvl 5
    slipsius said:
    Don't get me wrong. I love a lot of their IPs. I love a lot of their games. I think they are a HUGE part of the gaming industry's foundation. I would just much rather see them stop with the systems and just put those IPs on the other systems. I also think they would make BANK if they did that. 
    I hear this a lot, and personally, it never makes sense to me because the hardware seems to be a direct inspiration for the kind of games they make. ARMS for instance wouldn't exist without the motion control joycons; it seems they make hardware so that they can make the type of a games they want.

I hear you on the indie thing, it does seem like they're making an effort to improve on that front though.
  • Obscura
    Offline / Send Message
    Obscura grand marshal polycounter
    I thought i could put this here. We were showing up on E3 with Aquanox - Deep descent
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2goDd2xyHXY