Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Summer Character Workshop - the SwordMaster

Replies

• Tomtegubbe
    Offline / Send Message
    Tomtegubbe triangle
    Wow you've been working on this for a long time and it's starting to look great, especially the hair, how did you create that texture.
  • Elithenia
    Offline / Send Message
    Elithenia polycounter
    @Tomtegubbe
    yes I have. It is definitely taking longer than I hoped. 
    But only have an hour after work now to work on it unfortunately. But I'll get there :)
    Thank you!
    It is placed hair planes and some alpha. :) You might want to have a look at @rohMizuno 's generator... it is awesome :)
  • Elithenia
    Offline / Send Message
    Elithenia polycounter
    Finally! After a week of being bedridden with the flu I've, finally, managed to come back to the computer :) 
    I've had some UV issues, but I think I've managed to solve most of them. And fingers crossed.... Maya won't mess them up again.

After gettings some ok bakes, I've seen some areas where I'll need to add some polys to make it look a little bit nicer. But it is getting there now :)

• Elithenia
    Offline / Send Message
    Elithenia polycounter
    So, after having being ridiculously scared of the use of triangles for absolutely no reason other than 'quads are pweety' Lee poked me and showed me a good use for them to make sure that the silhouette is the way you want it to be. 
    When working with wrinkles they come in very handy actually

I had wrinkles that spanned diagonally over some quads, and I just couldn't maintain the quads and the silhouette at the same time. There was either going to be a massive density or a dip in the silhouette where it shouldn't have been.

Having been convinced to use triangles to clean up the edges with "the games engines will turn everything into a tri AAANYWAY" I finally stopped resisting :P  Plus it gives more control over how the engine will have the triangles in the right places...!

• PyrZern
    Offline / Send Message
    PyrZern polycounter lvl 12
    I use a lot of tris around the clothes' folds and wrinkles as well. xD
  • Elithenia
    Offline / Send Message
    Elithenia polycounter
    Yeah it works much better than trying to fit a quad in there :)
  • rohMizuno
    as fine as tris might be, be mindful of those "stars", they are not as harmless.

also, great progress so far, can't wait to see it fully textured :D
  • Elithenia
    Offline / Send Message
    Elithenia polycounter
    @rohMizuno
    Oh sh......
    Completely forgot about those >.<
    Yupp... this needs a look over. . thanks!
  • Shanana
    Offline / Send Message
    Shanana polycounter lvl 6
    Hey Sanna, just realized I wasn't sure if you finished this one. Been a bit quiet here, but I gotta say the hair looks good!!! I know you're busy with the Artstation challenge atm but are you planning on finishing this one?
  • Elithenia
    Offline / Send Message
    Elithenia polycounter
    Hi @Shanana
    No it isn't finished. Just the hair left. But I've redone the hair 5 times now, with different techniques and styles and I just cannot get it right. 
    I will finish this one, don't worry. I know I'm the only one left now, but I just don't know really how to get the hair right. And I don't want to finish with a bald lady. 
    Definitely not my best piece anymore. :/ Can only work on it at home
  • Shanana
    Offline / Send Message
    Shanana polycounter lvl 6
    Cool. Perseverance is precious! If you need any help/input with the hair I'd be happy to take a look. No worries about not finishing, haha I only today REALLY finished mine :/:blush:
  • Elithenia
    Offline / Send Message
    Elithenia polycounter
    Shanana said:
    Cool. Perseverance is precious! If you need any help/input with the hair I'd be happy to take a look. No worries about not finishing, haha I only today REALLY finished mine :/:blush:
    Thank you! 
    Looking forward to seeing your presentation on it! :) 
  • Elithenia
    Offline / Send Message
    Elithenia polycounter
    Finally getting back to this project again! Been far too long! :/ 

Started building the hair up again, but hopefully it will look much better this time :dizzy:
    Will post an update later so you can give me some sweet thoughts! :) 
  • Elithenia
    Offline / Send Message
    Elithenia polycounter
    Just having some fun with the scale reference in Marmoset Toolbag 3 <3

• kreativbloc
    Offline / Send Message
    kreativbloc polycounter lvl 3
    Hey. Really good job on the concepting and clothes. The anatomy should get a little more love though. The face kinda' holds it back, also the hands could do with a bit more structure. Keep it up.
  • Elithenia
    Offline / Send Message
    Elithenia polycounter
    Thank you @kreativbloc
    Yeah I totally agree with you. It is an old model now, and I have definitely improved on the anatomy. There's soo many fixes I want to do with it, but after having discussed with @almighty_gir if I should go and fix it up to a better standard the answer we had was that it was better to just get the hair finished now, and to make the next model better.
    Even though it pains me to not fix the face and other parts up (because believe me, it bugs me a lot) I can see the sense in not going back but rather taking it forward to the next model. 
  • Elithenia
    Offline / Send Message
    Elithenia polycounter
    Finally, I'm done with the hair. 
    7th time's the charm....right? ;)

Some quick picture updates of the hair before I completely crash into bed. 
    The next step is to do a quick lookover on some of the textures so that it keeps in line with the hair now, because I have improved a lot in both modelling and texturing since I was actively working on this. And at this point, I am just pushing to get it done so that I will be able to show off all the things I've learned since then in a new model. I will not rework the hair, even though there's things that can be improved upon...
    ... but since when is there never anything to improve upon in art? :D

• kreativbloc
    Offline / Send Message
    kreativbloc polycounter lvl 3
    Haha that's some good hair man. Very impressive. 
  • Zee_DeCoY
    Offline / Send Message
    Zee_DeCoY polycounter lvl 6
    Amazing work as always :) You spent a great deal making the hair, and it shows. just wow! :)
  • Elithenia
  • Ouran
    Offline / Send Message
    Ouran greentooth
    Beautiful hair texture you've got here. Are you going to give it a stronger spec ?
  • Elithenia
    Offline / Send Message
    Elithenia polycounter
    Ouran said:
    Beautiful hair texture you've got here. Are you going to give it a stronger spec ?
    @Ouran Thank you!
    Yes, I will do a spec map for it. It currently doesn't have much of that, but rather an even spec. 
  • Elithenia
    Offline / Send Message
    Elithenia polycounter
    giving the textures a look over, still have to tweak things here and there.  

• Elithenia
    Offline / Send Message
    Elithenia polycounter
    FINALLY, I'm calling this done. 
    All I want is just to go back and resculpt and fix all the mistakes that I now can see I did. However, in doing so I would never move on and I'd constantly noodle on the same model, and never improve much :pensive:
    So.. It is now done. Finished. Finito. Onwards and upwards! ..... or something!

I want to thank Lee ( @almighty_gir ), especially, for putting this together, and putting up with all the questions and complaints over this year(!) and providing amazing guidance into the world of games art for a newb like me! I also want to thank the amazing fellow workshoppers who's improved tonnes as well, and produced some awesome artwork for this! I'm happy to have made such great friends along the way, and I can't wait to see where we'll all go :)  Thank you to all that have helped me along the way!

I've learned a lot on the way. From techniques to where my gaps in the foundations are. To where my strengths lie, as well as my weaknesses (posing.... rigging.. what's that? :P ) and things that I absolutely love working on (hair) that I never thought I'd be able to do nicely. 

All in all - full model with hair came out at 72K tris. 
    Hair - 28K tris (doubled - not culled back faces) 
    Model - 44K tris

You can view it on my ArtStation here: https://www.artstation.com/artwork/GKknd