Home Technical Talk

How to make insertmesh to follow a certain path in Zbrush?

polycounter lvl 2
Offline / Send Message
M u r t t i polycounter lvl 2
Hello!

Haven't found any solution to this so better ask form here.

Is there any way to make insertmesh brush to follow certain path in Zbrush? I am creating highpoly model from make lowpoly model made in 3ds Max and I was able to create rope brush. I'm using curve mode to draw rope but it is very hard to move it. I need to make highpoly rope to follow same path that the LP rope is using in this picture. Any ideas?

Replies

• SpaceRogue
    Offline / Send Message
    SpaceRogue polycounter lvl 3
    I only have 2 minutes so pardon the TL:DR version of my explanation

-separate the rope into its own subtool, duplicate it, give it subdivisions ,work on it because its now your highpolly 

edit; ok back
    ok so you have an already detailed Zbrush nanomesh that creates a rope ? In that case I would just use what you have as a sketch and try to follow it, without going to nuts about placement, you're going to end up having to retop the rope anyhow unless you use it directly. Still less tedious then trying to follow the basemesh you have now to my knowledge. 
    Either do retop with the graphite tools in Max ,or take your chances at Zbrush auto retop.

I hope this is of some use, unless I entirely missed the point.
  • M u r t t i
    Offline / Send Message
    M u r t t i polycounter lvl 2
    I only have 2 minutes so pardon the TL:DR version of my explanation

-separate the rope into its own subtool, duplicate it, give it subdivisions ,work on it because its now your highpolly 

edit; ok back
    ok so you have an already detailed Zbrush nanomesh that creates a rope ? In that case I would just use what you have as a sketch and try to follow it, without going to nuts about placement, you're going to end up having to retop the rope anyhow unless you use it directly. Still less tedious then trying to follow the basemesh you have now to my knowledge. 
    Either do retop with the graphite tools in Max ,or take your chances at Zbrush auto retop.

I hope this is of some use, unless I entirely missed the point.
    Thanks for your tips SpaceRogue!
     I painted on lowpoly surface using my rope brush. When I export whole mesh to 3ds Max I will create lowpoly version again and align it with the HP rope. I guess that will help me to bake details correctly on to LP.

• musashidan
    Offline / Send Message
    musashidan high dynamic range
    For this I would use a path deform spline in Max. Much easier to control. And non-destructive. You could take your tiling rope part from ZB to Max. Or make the rope high/low poly simultaneously using the same spline.

There's loads of tutorials on modeling rope in Max on youtube.

Also, a tip on moving curve brush mesh around: don't bother trying to control the curve direct. It's much easier to use a large move brush.