Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Floon's Character Thread

greentooth
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
floon greentooth

Thanks a lot for stopping by my improvement thread! My plan for this thread is to grow alongside with me and to document my journey in the video game industry.

Finished projects:

Still WIP:

Replies

• floon
    Offline / Send Message
    floon greentooth
    So let's start with a character that I have been working on for a while now.
    This is my first complete character, so any input would be awesome.

The idea is to have the character engine-ready but not animated, just a posed mesh.I'd call the high poly done, unless you can help me pinpoint some problems.
    (I feel the face could need some improvement from the side view, but I can't really make it work )

My biggest Question for the low poly would be:
    "How can I manage THAT hair?"
    Do you think a mix of planes for the thinner hair and a solid mesh for the base is a good way to go?

So feedback would be super awesome!!1

I worked after this concept by Melissa Manwill:

IidLqW5jpg

Here is what I have so far:

v549D7bjpg

and a quickly posed/basecolored Version:

cj2qQIVjpg
  • proximity
    Offline / Send Message
    proximity polycounter lvl 9
    Really like this model and you have got some lovely shapes going on. Not sure if you need to soften facial features or not...

but its looking great, keep going
  • Turneep
    Absolutely adore the curls in her hair. Especially the ones just over her right shoulder.

One thing I dont like is the Scarf. How you have connected the Scarf into the "Frills" doesnt look right, it looks like they are too thick. In the concept image they are a bit more sparse and natural looking to me. But this is just personal preference.

The only other thing I would wonder about is the black around the eyes. It works in the concept but I am not sure it is translating well.
  • Starfish235
    This is great! You have nailed the concept!

The only thing i might suggest is to soften the features on the face a little.

Great Work!
  • floon
    Offline / Send Message
    floon greentooth
    Time for a first update:
    (fyi I can only work in the evenings, so updates might sometimes take a few days)

hkrHokV.jpg

proximity & Starfish235 thanks for pointing out the missing smoothness on the face, it was actually really obvious x(.
    In general I like the new smooth version better, but I somehow lost the tucked in lower lip.

Turneep
    Glad you liked the hair! I gave the "eyelashes" a bit of a pinch, hope they are less goth now :D.
    Also agree on the scarf/belt, but I haven't had time to tackle that today.

I fought for at least an hour or so with the skirt. Not quite there yet, but better imho.
    My current workflow is to work on a single sided mesh. Mostly with the:
    Move Brush, From Soft and the Smooth brush (switching between Brush>Smooth Brush Modifiers>Min Connected 2-3)
    Then Panel Loop - Crease (Lvl2) - Subdivide a few times

Any suggestions what I could do better about the skirt? Workflow wise/Shape wise?
  • amirabd2130
    Offline / Send Message
    amirabd2130 polycounter lvl 7
    really cute character
    the face is much better now but I think still needs more love :)
  • amirabd2130
    Offline / Send Message
    amirabd2130 polycounter lvl 7
    really cute character
    the face is much better now but I think still needs more love :)
  • almighty_gir
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    in the concept, there isn't a harsh transitional line at the eyebrow like there is on your model, especially just above the nose.

move the eyebrows down just a tad as well.
  • floon
    Offline / Send Message
    floon greentooth
    Thanks for the feedback guys!
    I continued to work on "Anya" with your suggestions in mind, but the progress is not really worth showing yet.

So instead I present you a small piece, based on a concept by Valentin Demchenko
    It was a fun little project and since it did not take too much time, it helped me to stay sane D..

Polypainted Sculpt with minor Photoshop touch ups:

BAd7Lfjjpg

• SleepingGiant
    Offline / Send Message
    SleepingGiant polycounter lvl 5
    Wow Floon, those are looking great! Really dig how awesome you are retaining the large shapes on Anya! The character has really great flow! my only thought on her is maybe try a different way to abstract the end of the scarf. I can definitely see that your using large shapes to clump the fray, but maybe it would be a good contrast with a few smaller shapes at the end. Looking forward to your progress!
  • floon
    Offline / Send Message
    floon greentooth
    Hi everyone,
    I worked the scarf/belt a bit further.
    @SleepingGiant Thanks for pushing me in the right direction.
    Also touched up the face more and hope I can put as much love in the clothing

• ZeroCartin
    Offline / Send Message
    ZeroCartin polycounter lvl 16
    This is awesome work! Love the old guy as well. Her face looks much bettter than your first iteration. Good job!
  • SleepingGiant
    Offline / Send Message
    DUUUUUDDEEE. So much awesome! What are your texture plans for her if any?
  • floon
    Offline / Send Message
    floon greentooth
    Oh I definitely plan to texture her! I actually wanted to experiment with DDO a bit and see if I can achieve cool stylized results there.
    Other option would be to get to know 3D coat better and see if I can replace/hook it to my current photoshop pipeline.
  • floon
    Offline / Send Message
    floon greentooth
    Soooo I'm back!
    This time not with ONE character, neither TWO BUUUT..

..a wooden beam ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I don't really have too much experience with environment art, so feedback is more then welcome!
    It was fun to check out the DDo/Marmoset Pipeline and might come in handy with my character work aswell!

If you want to take a glance at the Topology/Maps you can do that over at my Artstation site.

bF0Smpkjpg

Based on a concept (that I might work on further) by Artyom Vlaskin.
  • pixelpatron
    Offline / Send Message
    pixelpatron polycounter
    looks nice, but that low poly cut where the top beam and small support meet is kinda yucky.
  • < ASH >
    Offline / Send Message
    < ASH > polycounter lvl 13
    Hey floon the 2 characters look awesome (I really like the style of both).

For what concerns the wooden structure I agree with pixelpatron: the are where the top and the vertical beam connect doesn't look "belivable".
    I took the liberty to do a quick paintover to give you some ideas about how to fix it.

2w20jmr.jpg

You could fix that area as suggested in (1), making a small carving like you did in the area where the arrow points, or (2), cutting the vertical beam to the same hight of the top beam. :poly121:
    I would also modify the area highlighted in (3) because even that connection is not belivable (I would try to break the 2 wooden parts in half).

Other than that these 2 small details, the overall style of the object is really pleasant. :)
  • floon
    Offline / Send Message
    floon greentooth
    Hey guy, thanks for the quick replies:)!

@pixelpatron
    You were talking about this right? (which indee is "yucky" :D)

QGwEj7p.jpg

@&lt; Ash >
    Thanks for the suggestions! I see the same areas problematic. I'll try my best to fix it up!
  • floon
    Offline / Send Message
    floon greentooth
    Time for a small update!
    So I have continued to work on the environment piece. I reworked the texture of the main beam and added some more elements.
    I'm not completely unhappy, but DDo is giving me a hard time lately :D.
    So the evenings often include pulling my hair (I'm close to Walter White by now).
    Most of the problems are in front of the screen though ;). I guess this is just what it takes to learn a new tool.

Long story short:

aq174Ub.jpg

Again you can check it out in 3D on Artstation.
    I'll be back with a less generic version!
  • killnpc
    Offline / Send Message
    killnpc polycounter
    Really pleasing arch of arches, I like the design.
  • pmiller001
    Offline / Send Message
    pmiller001 greentooth
    Really into that Wood piece.
  • floon
    Offline / Send Message
    floon greentooth
    I'm back with an update :)
    Now featuring:
    - roof
    - floor
    and my favorit:
    - chain-that-made-me-realize-IMM-brushes-lose-uvws

I'll leave it as it is and will start a new project as soon as I have a bit more free time.
    Feel free to comment and crit and to check out a 3D Version over at Artstation

• jhoythottle
    Offline / Send Message
    jhoythottle polycounter lvl 7
    Nice work!  The little girl is coming along nicely!  I love the hair.  I made her candy land companion a short while back.  It was a fun project, Melissa's art style is fantastic.  Good luck!
  • floon
    Offline / Send Message
    floon greentooth
    Haha, yeah I know and yours turned out great!!
    Often when I'm stuck I go through your thread to see how you solved certain parts in that style.
    I should get back to her asap!
  • jhoythottle
    Offline / Send Message
    jhoythottle polycounter lvl 7
    Thanks @floon, glad to hear I could be a source of encouragement.  I learned a lot from that project.  Yeah, keep going, I'm interested to see the final product :smile: 
  • floon
    Offline / Send Message
    floon greentooth
    Hey everyone!
    Past few months have been very exciting as well as exhausting. I'm now getting back on track.
    Starting with a sculpt based on this awesome concept by Creaturebox:

• floon
    Offline / Send Message
    floon greentooth
    Finished an other piece based on a Creaturebox concept, just so likeable :D
    This time a also have a full fledged Marmoset scene on Artstation.
    If you have any feedback, I am more then happy to hear about it!

• SleepingGiant
    Offline / Send Message
    Killing it with these dude! Keep at it!!
  • floon
    Offline / Send Message
    floon greentooth
    @SleepingGiant thanks man, this means a lot to me!
  • floon
    Offline / Send Message
    floon greentooth
    Hey Polycount!
    I am back and I need your help more then ever!
    Unlike prior posts of mine, I today approach you fine people with an unfinished character to ask for your guidance.

This project started out as part of the previous Character Art Challenge (check it out if you are interested in this character's journey) and is based on >this< concept by Concept 4.
    So far this is the most realistic looking character I ever approached, therefore it was a tough ride until this point. I would call the highpoly 85% done, unless you convince me otherwise.
    My plan is to add skin detail / asymmetrie to the face and work further on the arms and hands.

What I fear most though, is the hair of the character.
    My plan was to go for hair cards and place most of them with a curve brush in Zbrush.
    I am a bit clueless though, when it comes to the stubble beard and the fur on the badger.
    So any input  on this would be big help!

I also worked on a lute and a sword for the character, but I want to focus today’s post (and hopefully feedback) on the character model.
    So please let me know if you have some constructive criticism, I would love to hear it!

• taffy284
    Offline / Send Message
    taffy284 polycounter lvl 8
    I was looking around sketchfab last night and found these two:
    https://sketchfab.com/models/c99d329166cb46bbaf3c398bab73424e
    https://sketchfab.com/models/21b40edc94104acbad85b825ed45733c

It looks like they just used a combo of hair cards and shell fur technique. I just used hair cards for the badger, but I think using shells would have been better in a lot of places. 

I was also looking at this comment today morning:
    http://polycount.com/discussion/comment/2490459/#Comment_2490459

I don't think that'd help too much with your problem with the facial hair though, hmmm. Is there any way for you to paint on cards in 3ds max? I know there's a way you could do that in maya, but Idk too much about max. I think even a few cards on the face is ok, as long as you use texturing data as well. I ended up using polypaint to do the skin color, and baked the highpoly information with fibermesh from zbrush onto the lowpoly, so I had skin color and specs of brown for facial hair. Adding a few cards just gave the illusion that there was hair on there sticking out.
  • floon
    Offline / Send Message
    floon greentooth
    Hey @taffy284 great to hear from you again :)!
    Also thanks for the links, the lion really looks cool. I will experiment with the shell technique on the badger and see what I end up with.

For the hair I often peek over Tits Shiva Thread and I wonder if that "loaf of hair" (solid base mesh) that she speaks of is still in between her hair cards or not.
    I guess for the stubbles I will go for a few single hair cards and place them in max as you suggested and some actual geo to make the silhouette more interesting.
    Thanks for the input!
  • floon
    Offline / Send Message
    floon greentooth
    Quick update:
    I almost finished the retopo and did a quick first bakepass. Allready spotted some problems (went to low on some parts, especially boots and pants) and hope to have them by the end of the week.
    Still missing the hair of the bard, the badger fur and the eyes, so that's what I'll be working on next.

• floon
    Offline / Send Message
    floon greentooth
    I’m back with an update on the Hair:
    It took me longer than expected to get a result I am happy with. There are still things that I would want to improve, but because I also want to finish this model at some point, I have to draw a line here.
    I’m proud of myself for achieving this and not giving up halfway and I hope you like it as well :)!
    If you have any feedback I would be really happy to hear it, since this is the first time I am working with hairplanes.

Bonus .gif:

Mini Breakdown:
    -Blockout in Zbrush to have a reference/base for the hairplanes
    -Started with a v-shaped polystrip in 3Ds Max which served as the “hair-master-strip”
    -Drew Splines with face-snapping onto the decimated hairsculpt
    -Created a lot of referenced instances and used a“path deform (wsm)” with the splines to lay out the hair. This way I could still make changes to the deformed planes via the master, and to individual plane as well, which was essential.
    -Once I was happy with the overall shape I used the snapshot function to quickly merged all hairplanes
    -The texture for the hair was also created in 3Ds Max using the built in Hair&Fur system
    - A LOT of tweaking on the planes and texture maps
  • floon
    Offline / Send Message
    floon greentooth
    It has been a while since the last update, but I am happy to announce that I am done with this project :)!
    I took my time and often had to try different approaches to get to a point where was happy with the result.
    Obviously there are things that are not perfect and I hope I can improve upon them in future projects, but at some point I needed accept some flaws to stay sane.

Long story short, below is a shot from Marmoset Toolbag, and over at Artstation you can find a viewer scene, for some turntable-glory.
    If you have some tips or feedback of any kind, please let me know :)!

• floon
    Offline / Send Message
    floon greentooth
    Hey folks!
    A quick follow up. I uploaded the material (.sbs&.sbsar) I created for the kilt to Substance Share >click<.
    You can adjust the stripe and background color, as well disabling unwanted stripes by dropping the alpha to 0.
    Feel free to tailor it to your own needs :)!
  • floon
    Offline / Send Message
    floon greentooth
    discarded project
    Started a new project!
    This time after a concept by Tan Zhi Hui. Still in an early stage, but let me know if something catches your eye!

• floon
    Offline / Send Message
    floon greentooth
    New character, not based on a concept this time :smiley:
  • floon
    Offline / Send Message
    floon greentooth
    Small update on the face

• floon
    Offline / Send Message
    floon greentooth
    Quite happy with the face, still not so sure about the clothing.

• floon
    Offline / Send Message
    floon greentooth
    Time for another update!
    I am now heading on to refining the various elements and adding detail.

• floon
    Offline / Send Message
    floon greentooth
    More progress on the little fella. Slowly getting there :).

• floon
    Offline / Send Message
    floon greentooth
    I am happy with the design for now, so I started to add detail!

• floon
    Offline / Send Message
    floon greentooth
    Minor update, now featuring color  :)!

• Elithenia
    Offline / Send Message
    Elithenia polycounter
    This is looking really good :) 
  • floon
    Offline / Send Message
    floon greentooth
    Thanks @Elithenia! I'm glad you like him :)
  • floon
    Offline / Send Message
    floon greentooth
    Hey folks!
    I started to retopo the little man, finished the knife and played around with some materials.
    If you want to take a closer look in a Marmoset scene you can head over to Artstation.
    Let me know if something catches your eye :)!

• floon
    Offline / Send Message
    floon greentooth
    Started to retopo the little man. I still very "wip", especially the skin/head are in need for more detail-love.

• floon
    Offline / Send Message
    floon greentooth
    A few details are still missing, but I'd call the high 95% done. Low only needs a bit more work as well :)

• floon
    Offline / Send Message
    floon greentooth
    Progress on the lowpoly, currently clocking in at 24k tris.