Home Technical Talk

Any way to make normals more obvious in Marvelous Designer?

polygon
Offline / Send Message
Krato polygon
I'm working through a tutorial and I've looked around online and I can't find anything yet that easily shows which way the normals are facing. As of now, every video at best shows a very slight difference in color regarding the faces of the fabric. Personally, as I've been flipping the normals of my work between both sides, normal and otherwise, they look identical which makes it really hard to correct any normal issues. 

fixes?

Replies

• pior
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    If I am not mistaken (at least in MD2, haven't upgraded since), the garment parts that you create in the 2d view always appear in front of the avatar, with the normals facing towards the front view. So in other words if you create a front piece it will be good to go, whereas a back element would have to be rotated 180 degrees after creation.

This probably doesn't really answer your question, but might be enough to work around the issue ...
  • Krato
    Offline / Send Message
    Krato polygon
    So, I stumbled across a system that I think shows me which normals are flipped. However, now it has presented me with a new issue. How to stop other normals from flipping in response to flipping another. 

Ex:
    https://gyazo.com/0cb06a24ba7b27f601917cad55c26703
  • Krato
    Offline / Send Message
    Krato polygon
    pior said:
    If I am not mistaken (at least in MD2, haven't upgraded since), the garment parts that you create in the 2d view always appear in front of the avatar, with the normals facing towards the front view. So in other words if you create a front piece it will be good to go, whereas a back element would have to be rotated 180 degrees after creation.

This probably doesn't really answer your question, but might be enough to work around the issue ...
    That's an interesting point. It does help and I will keep it in mind in my future tests. I wish they had a more obvious system in place but I am sure I will figure something out that suits me eventually.
  • musashidan
    Offline / Send Message
    musashidan high dynamic range
    With the default material the back of the normals is a slightly darker shade.
  • Krato
    Offline / Send Message
    Krato polygon
    With the default material the back of the normals is a slightly darker shade.
    I was noticing that in videos but it wasnt occurring in my work. Perhaps iI changed the material at some point. Ill check it out.
  • musashidan
    Offline / Send Message
    musashidan high dynamic range
    One tip that will save a lot of frustration with the crappy MD gizmo is to right click in 3d view and flip the pattern instead of rotating it 180. Much easier.
  • Krato
    Offline / Send Message
    Krato polygon
    One tip that will save a lot of frustration with the crappy MD gizmo is to right click in 3d view and flip the pattern instead of rotating it 180. Much easier.
    That's actually pretty smart, thanks!
  • ammarshow
    Offline / Send Message
    ammarshow polycounter lvl 5
    easy way to know the right normal is to press ( alt + 5 ) and the back face will be hidden 
  • ozaffer
    Offline / Send Message
    ozaffer polycounter lvl 13
    I'm new to the program so maybe misunderstanding, but my way of finding the outside of your clothes was turning on wireframe or alt+f4