Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[UE4] Dark Souls 3 Environment (Finished)

Replies

• Benvox2
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Benvox2 polycounter lvl 10
    @MagicFlyingBus Thank you! Ask away, and a breakdown is on its way.

@Ben_Fr Thanks mate!

@Kihlstrand haha thanks! It's a great area for cracked red eye orbs as I gathered while getting reference.

@Chantel-sky Thank you !
  • brum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    brum polycounter lvl 6
    Great stuff. Hoping to see a breakdown!
  • agisslayer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    agisslayer null
    This is quite interesting :) well done mate ! BTW how do you find time to do this ?  
  • MagicFlyingBus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MagicFlyingBus polycounter lvl 5
    @Benvox2 Is it okay if I PM you?
  • Benvox2
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @okornyal Thank you! It is almost done! Hopefully up in the next couple of days.

@agisslayer Thank you! I really had to sacrifice a lot of things while working on this. I woke up early and did some before work, after work I went back to it again until about midnight everyday. Weekends were 12-14hr days of just working on this. It was pretty full on.

@MagicFlyingBus Sure, no problem, though it might be better here so other people can see it too? Whatever suits you.

• Dot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dot polycounter lvl 5
  • < ASH >
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    < ASH > polycounter lvl 13
    Impressive final result, well done Benvox ! ;)
    I didn't have the time to go through all the thread yet, but I will.
    Reading some previews comments seems to me that you documented the whole workflow in detail.
    Thanks for sharing this! :)
  • MagicFlyingBus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MagicFlyingBus polycounter lvl 5
    @Benvox2 I looked over a lot of your break downs and that helped a bit. I am just really curious about your process on how you build these assets from start to finish.

For example the vines. How do you go about placing the leaves? What about your process for the plants / foliage.

How many polygons are we looking at in the full scene? It looks fairly high given that a lot of the stone are their own objects. Is that normal or are you going heavier since it's a personal project? 

How did you go about building the Vertex paint for the moss? It looks really good and moss has been a problem for me for a very long time.

The fire effect is also really nice. I have a scene where I wanted to add something similar but I can't get it to work properly, and the lighting comes out really terrible.

I would love to build something like this, but I always get stuck on issues that I can't seem to overcome. Or sometimes I just feel like I can't push it as much as I want to. I really want to be an environment artist but I've been flat out told my work is not good enough.

• tda
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tda polycounter lvl 16
    Absolutely stellar work dude. Almost indistinguishable from the actual game and in some shots it outshines the game! Be proud :smiley:
  • TyRey99
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TyRey99 null
    Hi, your work is truly remarkable . Would like too speak with you further on possibly devlopment of a game email riseninnovationproj&gmail 
  • Rageleet
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rageleet polycounter lvl 6
    Really cool dude, very inspirational! 
  • Maxilator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Maxilator polycounter lvl 8
    You should add a large pile of corpses and where that black knight would stand, god damned that guy whooped me haha. Stellar work!
  • Benvox2
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Benvox2 I looked over a lot of your break downs and that helped a bit. I am just really curious about your process on how you build these assets from start to finish.

For example the vines. How do you go about placing the leaves? What about your process for the plants / foliage.

How many polygons are we looking at in the full scene? It looks fairly high given that a lot of the stone are their own objects. Is that normal or are you going heavier since it's a personal project? 

How did you go about building the Vertex paint for the moss? It looks really good and moss has been a problem for me for a very long time.

The fire effect is also really nice. I have a scene where I wanted to add something similar but I can't get it to work properly, and the lighting comes out really terrible.

I would love to build something like this, but I always get stuck on issues that I can't seem to overcome. Or sometimes I just feel like I can't push it as much as I want to. I really want to be an environment artist but I've been flat out told my work is not good enough.

Hopefully the breakdown article that is being edited now well help make sense of the things I did.

Vines and leaves were done in a very old-school way unfortunately. I see there are blueprints for creating them right in Unreal but I actually created them in max. Unique ones where I needed and modular ones to fill the spaces. The leaves were added with the 'object paint' in 3ds Max. It is perfect for these situations. 

Not sure how many for the whole scene, I will have to check the UE4 stats, but yes it would be pretty high. I modeled as closely as the original as I could so it is all very realistic numbers and even a bit last gen. The key is to use LODs so that all the tiles and pillars you dont currently see are downgraded to even lower-polygon models. Also sharing UV space and reusing materials/textures as much as possible is a huge help.

Vertex painting in UE4 is surprisingly simple once you set up the materials correctly. 'MetalGameStudios' makes incredibly clear tutorials on all things UE4 including vertex painting, I recommend looking at his channel.

Unfortunately I did not have the time I wanted to build the VFX from scratch (being an environment artist and all) so they are shamefully taken from the Unreal example files where I just tweaked some values and changed out some textures to suit my needs, next project I want to reserve more time for this.

Yea I know your feeling man, the key I have found is simply motivation. If something motivates you it gives you endless strength and drive. For me there were some negative situations in my life that gave me the strength to push this through til the end, and believe me I ran into a problem every single day. Don't try to rush things, you will just sacrifice quality, and don't stress when everything goes to shit and you hit a brick wall. Hit up some forums, post some questions and sort it out one step at a time. Good luck mate!
  • Benvox2
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @tda Thank you mate I am glad you can appreciate it!

@TyRey99 Thanks man! Since posting this I have gotten a ton of emails about freelance work, but feel free to send me an email with the details!

@Rageleet Cheers man, I hope it helps in some way!

@Maxilator haha yea If I had more time I would like to take a leaf out of @Stavaas ' s book and model some dead characters for my level!

Also if it is helpful to some people I will dump a few modular piece images that probably are not pretty enough for a portfolio:

• The Rizzler
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The Rizzler polycounter lvl 9
    Badass scene, thanks for the breakdown and showing your workflow throughout. All these souls/borne environments are inspiring me to do something similar...
    Looking forward to the article.
  • Benvox2
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Badass scene, thanks for the breakdown and showing your workflow throughout. All these souls/borne environments are inspiring me to do something similar...
    Looking forward to the article.
    Thanks man! I highly recommend it if you are as blown away by the game environments like myself!

Finally got that breakdown sorted which may help clear up any additional questions:

https://80.lv/articles/dark-souls-3-in-ue4-production-interview/

• Nathan3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nathan3D polycounter lvl 7
    Starting to see this everywhere man, on my Facebook art station,  3d total and I was about to post 80 lvl haha
    Well done :) 
  • Saaamoth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Saaamoth polycounter lvl 5
    Nice breakdown. Really cool to see such an efficient use of modular pieces !
  • Benvox2
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Adelphia said:
    Starting to see this everywhere man, on my Facebook art station,  3d total and I was about to post 80 lvl haha
    Well done :) 
    haha yea I keep seeing it on sites I have never heard of before! Cheers man!

@Saaamoth Thanks mate! Yea I really learned a lot by trying to copy the modularity of such a good studio!
  • cmc444
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cmc444 polycounter lvl 11
    Love how this turned out!
  • nastobi123
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nastobi123 polycounter lvl 8
    GODDAMN, this is so epic! the breakdowns are really awesome too ! 
  • Benvox2
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GODDAMN, this is so epic! the breakdowns are really awesome too ! 
    Thanks mate! I am glad it is helpful for you!

I will just take the opportunity of this necromancy to thank everyone for the support throughout this project.

Fromsoftware noticed it too, and I have been working there for a few months now!

Cheers!
  • Grusti
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Grusti polycounter lvl 10
    It's GREAT NEWS!!! CONGRATS Man!)))
  • Nathan3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nathan3D polycounter lvl 7
    I noticed that the other week when you commented on one of my materials. Well done man :) are you enjoying it? 
  • PixelMasher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelMasher veteran polycounter
    This is an awesome example of nailing the execution of an environment to the quality bar set by the studio and being rewarded for it. Literally holding your work up next to theirs and hammering on it until it fits right in. Nice work  :)
  • Benvox2
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @ilyaivanovart  Thank you!

@Nathan3D Cheers man! Yea it is great, can't wait til they announce their new project!

@PixelMasher Thanks a lot mate! It was tough work, but I am glad I did it.
  • brum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    brum polycounter lvl 6
    Any chance you could share wireframes/polycount for your commonly used elements, like the floor slabs and bricks?
  • Styrwirld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Styrwirld polycounter lvl 5
    Heythis looks amazing, one question, is the floor a substance with tesselation? it looks like actual geometry this confused me a lot and I wanna try myself doing something like this.
  • wirrexx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wirrexx ngon master
    Styrwirld said:
    Heythis looks amazing, one question, is the floor a substance with tesselation? it looks like actual geometry this confused me a lot and I wanna try myself doing something like this.
    If i remember it correctly its a modular piece with extrudes to give it thikness and he uses some extra bricks on top
  • Benvox2
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Styrwirld said:
    Hey guys! Yea @wirrexx is absolutely right. I wanted to make it as close to the original game as possible, so no fancy shader work, just low poly geometry and LODs etc to keep it running smooth.