Home Adobe Substance

Contest - Allegorithmic's Meet MAT w/ Substance Painter - Yuge prizes!

interpolator
Offline / Send Message
Jerc interpolator
Hey Polycount, we are launching our first contest this year with something a little different.

Meetmat  share

This is a short (2 weeks) and easy 3d Painting contest. We provide the mesh, you paint it! It's all about creativity.
If you don't own Substance Painter, you can use the trial of the newly released 2.6 update: simply click on the paintbrush icon on the Welcome Screen to load a ready to paint MAT character. 

Prizes include NVidia Quadro cards, Artoyz figurines, Wacom Cintiqs and Mobile Studio Pro tablets.

You'll find more details and the complete rules and submission guidelines on our Contest page.

Replies

• lotet
    Offline / Send Message
    lotet hero character
    Looks pretty cool, are you allowed to model extra stuff If you wanna bake down more normals or something?
  • Jerc
    Offline / Send Message
    Jerc interpolator
    No, you could model separate elements that you could then use as stamps in the normal map for example, but alterating the model or the bakes is not allowed.
  • seth.
    Offline / Send Message
    seth. polycounter lvl 14
    can you model props?

like a basket for a little red riding hood paintover...etc
  • throttlekitty
    Hey @Jerc the obj download has some pretty broken face groups as viewed in Maya.

e: seems to bake in SP just fine, I just went about my usual mesh-checking habits before doing it.
  • Jerc
    Offline / Send Message
    Jerc interpolator
    @throttlekitty the mesh was built in Blender, there may be some FBX shenanigans going on but it works fine in Painter as you said.
    @seth. Nope, no modeling allowed, this is purely adding paint and materials to the premade toy figure.

• Elithenia
    Offline / Send Message
    Elithenia polycounter
    This seems really fun! :D

• NoRank
    Offline / Send Message
    NoRank polycounter lvl 3
    Really cool, so my question is. You have to render it with iray and with the model facing the camera, right? So, why in the end it says you can upload different renders? 
  • Burpee
    Offline / Send Message
    Burpee polycounter lvl 9
    Can we use others game / comics of whatever licence ? For exemple making him a superman suit ? 
    Cheers ! 
  • Jerc
    Offline / Send Message
    Jerc interpolator
    @NoRank You can add other renders if for example your character has cool features that may not show very well on the main render but it has to still include that camera facing render.
    @Burpee License based entries are not encouraged. Of course you can take inspiration from what exists, but not copy existing works.

• Jerc
    Offline / Send Message
    Jerc interpolator
    BTW we will allow modifying the UVs of the mesh since the default UVs were made to get a perfect texel ratio but are far from packed in an optimal way. 
  • GhostDetector
    Offline / Send Message
    GhostDetector polycounter lvl 10
    @Jerc

Can we split the arms from the body onto a new texture set?
  • Jerc
    Offline / Send Message
    Jerc interpolator
    No, texture sets stay the same.
  • GamingHappens
    @Jerc
    hey, I wanted to enter but I seem to be having a issue with Iray the minute I load it up it says rendering for a few seconds and then the whole program freezes and stays frozen any ideas on how to fix it? because I never had an issue with it with earlier versions. The version I'm using right now is 2.6.0, computer specs : GTX 1070, I7-6700k, 16gb of 2133mhz ddr4 ram, Windows 10

EDIT- I was messing around with some of the settings, I set the compatibility mode to windows 8 and it stopped freezing the program but it just sat there so I turned off the CPU rendering in the settings and now it "works" I can move around and everything it's just laggy.

• NodrawNT
    Offline / Send Message
    NodrawNT polycounter lvl 6
    @ Jerc
    hey, I wanted to enter but I seem to be having a issue with Iray the minute I load it up it says rendering for a few seconds and then the whole program freezes and stays frozen any ideas on how to fix it? because I never had an issue with it with earlier versions. The version I'm using right now is 2.6.0, computer specs : GTX 1070, I7-6700k, 16gb of 2133mhz ddr4 ram, Windows 10

EDIT- I was messing around with some of the settings, I set the compatibility mode to windows 8 and it stopped freezing the program but it just sat there so I turned off the CPU rendering in the settings and now it "works" I can move around and everything it's just laggy.

Is it laggy as it always was or is it still another problem ? If so, what drivers are you running ? Iray works perfectly for me (Gtx 1080 - W10 - 16Gb DDR3  - i5 3470

@Jerc It's an awesome contest I'm having a blast texturing this little guy. I hope there will be more "textures only" contest in the future.
  • GamingHappens
    NodrawNT said:
    Is it laggy as it always was or is it still another problem ? If so, what drivers are you running ? Iray works perfectly for me (Gtx 1080 - W10 - 16Gb DDR3  - i5 3470

@Jerc It's an awesome contest I'm having a blast texturing this little guy. I hope there will be more "textures only" contest in the future.
    Sorry for the late response, I did the driver patch today for the 1070 but still no luck, I get it were it's stable for like 10 seconds and then out of no where the whole program freezes and it sits there until it finally decides to crash itself. The only way I've been able to get it functional is by only having Iray use my CPU which I would really rather not have it use unless its the only way because it spikes my cpu from 70 to 98%

Edit - Alright I think I found a complete fix to it, I didn't notice a little message talking about TDR Values on the bottom which was set to 2, looked at their website and made the values 60 and it seems stable during the 3 test runs. -Thanks for your time!

• Jerc
    Offline / Send Message
    Jerc interpolator

The contest is now over and the winners will be announced on June 1st!

Thank you to all of you who participated, we received over 1200 entries, which is pretty incredible (and hard to sort through for the jury).
    Good luck to everyone!

You can head over to Sketchfab to browse through hundreds of custom MAT characters in the meantime.
  • Jerc
  • Zelfit
    Offline / Send Message
    Zelfit polycounter lvl 8
    3rd place. Thanks guys. Wasnt ready for that