Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Character Artist Demo reel 2017

sinnart
polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
sinnart polycounter lvl 5
Hi guys! Over the last few days I've been working on my demo reel. I'm a 3d artist, and this is my first reel, so I would love to hear any suggestions or thoughts about it :)

Link: https://youtu.be/M7iP_IUqWGI

Replies

• slosh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slosh hero character
    So, first off, dump the reel.  For character art, this is an extremely useless way to show off your art.  Just have a website with nice high res renders, wireframes, textures, and a marmoset viewer file or sketchfab to show off the model.  As for the art itself, some of it is decent.  I would drop the last 2 pieces.  Your models are solid but the texturing needs work.  First character definitely seems the most polished.  Then it gradually gets a bit worse as you go.  I would either work on the 2nd and 3rd characters a bit more to polish them or just start something new.  You do seem to have a solid fundamental base though so keep at it!
  • sinnart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slosh said:
    So, first off, dump the reel.  For character art, this is an extremely useless way to show off your art.  Just have a website with nice high res renders, wireframes, textures, and a marmoset viewer file or sketchfab to show off the model.  As for the art itself, some of it is decent.  I would drop the last 2 pieces.  Your models are solid but the texturing needs work.  First character definitely seems the most polished.  Then it gradually gets a bit worse as you go.  I would either work on the 2nd and 3rd characters a bit more to polish them or just start something new.  You do seem to have a solid fundamental base though so keep at it!
    Thanks for your feedback! I agree with you about the last but one (the girl torso), but why do you think I should drop the crested gecko? I personally think I did a good job with him.
    I think I'll work in another character rather than improving those, at least for now!
  • slosh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slosh hero character
    sinnart said:
    slosh said:
    Thanks for your feedback! I agree with you about the last but one (the girl torso), but why do you think I should drop the crested gecko? I personally think I did a good job with him.
    I think I'll work in another character rather than improving those, at least for now!
    Does the gecko even have normals?  He looks crazy flat.  I assume he's jumping or something but the pose is strange as well.  Again, maybe not your worst piece but not really folio worthy either.  
  • CrazyMoon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CrazyMoon polycounter lvl 3
    Yeah can only agree with what slosh said. The gecko seems super flat. Also you should practice your anatomy a bit more, it goes a long way trust me! Keep at it!! 
  • sinnart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slosh said:
    sinnart said:
    slosh said:
    Does the gecko even have normals?  He looks crazy flat.  I assume he's jumping or something but the pose is strange as well.  Again, maybe not your worst piece but not really folio worthy either.  
    Yes he does, but it's maybe too subtle. And the pose is just as they jump haha may not be a good choice to show him. I'll work on it, thanks!
  • sinnart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CrazyMoon said:
    Yeah can only agree with what slosh said. The gecko seems super flat. Also you should practice your anatomy a bit more, it goes a long way trust me! Keep at it!! 
    Yah, I know I have a long way to go, I'll keep working, thanks! :)