Home Career & Education

[What do you want from] Asset Stores?

AssetWorld
null
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
AssetWorld null
I'm starting a asset store at: assetworld.selz.com
I was just wondering what you like to see from a asset store and if anyone has any ideas on how I would market this once I've got more asset available for purchase. Thanks

Further info:
At the moment the domain is owned by the online store creator i'm using and it's only my assets at the moment. I plan to allow other to use the service when established. Creators will take 75% of the earning and the website will take 25%. The site will strive upon providing high quality content that is thoroughly reviewed by hand before publishing. Unlike sites such as turbo squid, asset world will entail a variety of content including (but not limited to): 3D models, materials, textures, sounds, music, VFX, plugins etc. for a range of creative sectors.

I plan to also include affiliate links to products I find helpful for digital artists such as drawing tablets, GPU's, render service discounts etc. to boost revenue for the site however that is not a priority. 

Tutorials is another section I had in mind however it is not a priority but maybe helpful adding.

Replies

• slipsius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slipsius mod
    Right off the bat, how do you plan to be different than the asset stores that are already out there and well established? what will make yours unique? Is it only your work, or can others put stuff up as well? How much of the profit will you take? how much will go to the creators? 

Also, what's with the .selz.com thing? Why not just Assetworld.com or something similiar. 
  • AssetWorld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AssetWorld null
    At the moment the domain is owned by the online store creator i'm using and it's only my assets at the moment. I plan to allow other to use the service when established. Creators will take 75% of the earning and the website will take 25%. The site will strive upon providing high quality content that is thoroughly reviewed by hand before publishing. Unlike sites such as turbo squid, asset world will entail a variety of content including (but not limited to): 3D models, materials, textures, sounds, music, VFX, plugins etc. for a range of creative sectors.

I plan to also include affiliate links to products I find helpful for digital artists such as drawing tablets, GPU's, render service discounts etc. to boost revenue for the site however that is not a priority. 

Tutorials is another section I had in mind however it is not a priority but maybe helpful adding.
  • throttlekitty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ...and if anyone has any ideas on how I would market this...
    Oh boy...

I highly suggest taking some business and marketing courses if you're serious about this, right now you seem to be barely into the idea stage. Using a third party site to handle the store and web side doesn't instill confidence if you are competing with established asset stores. Selling your own work as a one off there, sure, no biggie. Also if sellz gets hacked and drops customer data, where does that put you and your customers? Would you be able to cover legal costs if you discover a pirated asset for sale on your store?

Selling a variety of goods is nice, but only if the offering is worth looking at. Doubly-triply-quadruply so for tutorials, a bunch of bad tuts just for the sake of having them is always a huge turnoff.

Also, I know you just got this up and going, but how much control over user experience and web design do you have with this site? With only a few assets at the moment, it's easy enough to browse. Compare to established stores of any kind and you'll find a number of presentation and search methods. Right now you have a tiny text area with embellished descriptions and no clear standard for technical specs for quick evaluation and no mention of author. Model presentation is particularly lacking on the warehouse, showing only the front and no wireframe or textureless view.

Also, a 75% cut sounds great to a potential partner until they start asking about site costs and who will be responsible for marketing their goods.

I'm not trying to shit on your idea here, but like I said, it's little more than an idea at this point. If it were me, I'd put some serious thought and study into running such a site and study how other online retailers work their magic. I'm also just an artist, not particularly studied in business.

e: I forgot a huge one! What would your return policy be?
  • FULGORE
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FULGORE greentooth
    Has anyone bought anything?
  • AssetWorld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AssetWorld null
    I'm not going to lie, my store has 79 views and no sales as of yet. 
  • Chimp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Chimp interpolator
    its less about marketing and more about identifying what people need and how they need it.

Essentially, in short, people are looking for large libraries of consistent work. Not a handfull of props in this style and a char in that style and a load of random stuff, but 100 consistent high quality props for example, that all are style consistent and quality consistent and basically appealing to a studio that need to fill out a world with stuff that is not worth putting their creative people on (they should be doing hero assets). 

The reason i suggest libraries is this: in practice I cannot use a handful of great props from someone because they will stand out like a sore thumb. I go to speedtree because they handle 100% of the foliage for my project, for example.

I say prop but it could be anything, however I only really in practice go to asset stores for props to fill out a world.
  • Jonas Ronnegard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jonas Ronnegard polycount sponsor
    As chimp says, go for libraries of assets that fit in the same setting and art style, the few I know that make a living from asset store sales do environment collections and even when the setting change they keep the art style so it could still be used in the same game.

as for creating your own store, nothing wrong with that, I know a few popular asset store sellers that has their own store but their main income is still be the bigger asset stores, the reason they do have their own store is because they can gather email addresses of the few that do buy from their store and slowly build up a customer database that they can notify when something new comes out which does a lot.

But unless you have a lot of money and new ideas behind you I would give up on creating a store which purpose is to attract other sellers.
  • AssetWorld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AssetWorld null
    Do you think it's worth attracting sellers if/when the website gets quite a bit of Traction.  My goal is to create a better platform that suits creators rather than sellers so, getting commission for sellers was never the main goal but I though it would be a good idea to get more assets available for the interest of customers but now because of your comment it has made me really think.
  • Jonas Ronnegard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Do you think it's worth attracting sellers if/when the website gets quite a bit of Traction.  My goal is to create a better platform that suits creators rather than sellers so, getting commission for sellers was never the main goal but I though it would be a good idea to get more assets available for the interest of customers but now because of your comment it has made me really think.
    What is a creator vs a seller? someone who has no real interest in selling but since they have stuff just laying around they will upload it?
    doesn't sound like much quality stuff will get uploaded, art wise sure but if it's for stuff that wasn't meant for selling it will probably not be setup in the right way for anyone to use it.

Just trying to see your websites angle.

if you want more assets to attract customers maybe you could do this as a group.
  • AssetWorld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AssetWorld null
    What I meant by creator vs seller is a creator being someone who will buy and use the assets to create stuff. I made that very unclear sorry. Doing this site as a group project is a fantastic idea. I might have a few people in mind. Thanks for the suggestion, don't have a clue why I didn't really give that much thought. 
  • Jonas Ronnegard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ah ok, yeah maybe call that a buyer/customer, in that case my answer would be that any good asset store would need a site that suits both, because buyers will go to where ever has the biggest library and as long as the website isn't a hassle that is where they will go, and for sellers they will go to where ever has the biggest customers base, so any popular asset store would need to attract both.
  • RyanB
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm not going to lie, my store has 79 views and no sales as of yet. 
    For every 100 views, you will sell 1 asset on average.  Occasionally, you will have a hit asset and it will sell better.

I'd recommend selling your own assets on Unity asset store first and learn first-hand what works and what doesn't work.