Home General Discussion

Bugs! We got 'em!

Replies

• m4dcow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    m4dcow interpolator
    @Eric Chadwick
    I haven't got my 25+ badge yet, but I see in the activity stream that both 5+ and 25+ badges are coming through so hopefully the issue is fixed. Maybe it requires another + for the badge to be calculated or whatever.
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It doesn't require another +. You have 26 of them, that's enough to trigger it. There must be something else going on, either with your connection or within the Vanilla database. OK, we're still pursuing the bug.
  • McGreed
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    McGreed polycounter lvl 15
    @Eric Chadwick Okay, I'm home now and tried both Firefox and Chrome, both don't have adblockers activated on Polycount. I'm on Window 7 64 bit, and was on Windows 10 at work. No luck triggering the badge. Are you sure about not having to actually hit the goal, and not be already past it? Because the "Name Dropper" did trigger when I did it.
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yep, all it requires is a revisit for your account acquire an earned badge or rank. Well there's obviously something else going on here. We're still looking into it.
  • Obscura
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Obscura grand marshal polycounter
    I think now it works. Got it and other people too. Thanks!

edit - Seems like only the 25+ones, and just for some people.
  • Zack Maxwell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zack Maxwell interpolator
    As I understand it, using hashtags is supposed to allow a post to show up in search results for that key phrase. It doesn't seem to be working as it should, though.
    I tried adding some hashtag phrases in my thread here, but if you click any of the tags in that post you can see that it is not showing up in the search results.
    The #SciFi tag is the only one that it actually shows up in, but the thread itself also has SciFi in the title.
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for this Grimwolf, that's weird, I'll get it reported.

The badges should now be assigning themselves. If you're due to get one, the next + you get should trigger the badge assignment. If you're not getting one but you think you should, message me and I'll get you sorted.

Fixed a bug today with text colors. It used to be if you colored the text first then linked it, the link wouldn't stay colored. But now it works no matter what order you apply the color & link.

Found another bug though (thanks slipsius!). If you paste in a link with a space on the end, it will add a space and a semicolon, and will create a malformed link. Need a bug zapper around here. Hmm, guess that's me.

• pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Heya - looks like the thread titles jitters are back : 

• Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Aw goddammit. I think some CSS was reverted. Thanks for the gif, I'll look into it.
  • Dan Powell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dan Powell polycounter lvl 5
    Hey there,

I don't think this was a moderator/admin action else I'd have expected to receive an inbox message; however, my Polycount Username has been changed without my consent/knowledge.

Previously, my Polycount username was just "Dan Powell" - it's now been changed to Dpowell94. Would someone be able to change it back to "Dan Powell" for me like it previously was, and maybe investigate what happened? 

I think my Twitter and Polycount accounts were linked, and my twitter handle is @Dpowell94, so maybe that's what's caused it? 

Thanks. :)

Dan Powell
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That's bizarre, I'll look into it.

Do you have an approximate timeframe when the change may have occurred? And about when did you link your Twitter account?

I can fix this manually in a moment but I'd like to keep it as-is to investigate. 
  • Dan Powell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cheers Eric. :)

I unliked my Twitter today once I noticed to see if that would revert it, and then re-linked it once it failed. I probably linked my Twitter account months ago

I did get an E-Mail a few hours ago about levelling up to three -- could that have had anything to do with it? 

I've no idea when my name changed though honestly. I only realised today because I went to log in with the username "Dan Powell" and it wouldn't let me, so I used my email instead. Then checked my profile and realized it had changed. =/

My last post before today was the 15th December, and when I made that post my username was still Dan Powell else I'd have noticed it. Between then and now I haven't made any posts or had to log in again so I hadn't noticed the change between those times -- sorry I couldn't be of more help information wise
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @pior the rollover popping seems to only happen at that particular width, between 1024 and 1440 wide. Does it still occur for you if you widen the window until the layout changes?
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    OK I think the rollover pops have been fixed. Pls let me know if otherwise.
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Indeed, all smooth now ! (I often browse on a screen set to in portrait mode and windowed, so that explains the unique circumstances).
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Dpowell94 I looked into this and have learned it was caused by signing in with your Twitter account. Same occurs with any other social account login (Steam, Facebook, Twitter, OpenID). Whenever you sign in using a social platform, your name here will become that social platform's account name.

If you would like to login without those, I can rename your account and see if it sticks. Let me know.
  • PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PyrZern polycounter lvl 12
    Did we get rid of Quote button ? Can't find it on a Post to Reply to.
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yep, known bug. Sorry about it. Reported to Vanilla and waiting on a fix.
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Grimwolf got a note from Vanilla on this
    Our support developer has found issues with hashtags in terms and our Sphinx search server (Advanced Search). He's created an issue in GitHub to get this investigated/addressed, particularly as there are inconsistencies as to why some work and others don't.

While currently the issue hasn't been sprinted, I'll raise this to our lead developer and send along the updates on this one as they come. 
  • Dan Powell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Eric Chadwick ,

Awesome, nice work tracking down the cause :)

Yes, please rename my account back to "Dan Powell", thanks! :)

I'll disconnect my Twitter and not use it to log in. 

Cheers
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pan Dowell, got it.
  • Dan Powell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Quote button should now be fixed. It was missing in multi-page threads.
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Also fixed a bug with the side ad, if you were trying to type in a really short thread the ad would cover the right end of the reply field.
  • R3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    R3D interpolator
    If you quote somebody, and either hit backspace or try to edit it later, you'll lose the line break and be unable to write outside of the quote box without going into the html and adding in a <br>
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yep, especially troublesome on mobile, where the html button is culled completely.
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Did a little work on the WYSIWYG editor. Typing now shows pretty much the same size/weight/color as the finished post.

Some stuff is not quite perfect yet. Headings/code/spoilers still need work.

Bold Italics Strikethrough each seem to be pretty close though. Colors are next to be fixed.
  • AtticusMars
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AtticusMars greentooth
    Did you switch your image host? PrivacyBadger has started blocking every polycount hosted image (banners, embeds, avatars) because they're all coming from us.v-cdn.net
  • Maximum-Dev
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi, sometimes the notification doesn't show up for me when someone writes on my threads, and I only see the recent notification by clicking on the bell icon. Does this happen for anyone?
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Did you switch your image host? PrivacyBadger has started blocking every polycount hosted image (banners, embeds, avatars) because they're all coming from us.v-cdn.net
    Privacy plugins are going to give you false positives all the time. I use Chrome's script blocker and Adblock, so I just whitelist the Polycount domain. Yes that is the image host we're using.

• Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi, sometimes the notification doesn't show up for me when someone writes on my threads, and I only see the recent notification by clicking on the bell icon. Does this happen for anyone?
    Take a close look at your Notification settings. Yours are set to Popup only, which means you'll get no emails. 

Do you mean it doesn't show up in the popups? Are you using any privacy plugins, script blockers, etc.?
  • Alemja
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alemja hero character
    @Eric Chadwick I am also experiencing the same, I am not receiving any notifications on the latest Character Art Challenge thread even though I am the thread owner. This is the first time this has happened to a thread of mine.

I don't receive any popups while browsing the site, the the box that would show up in the corner doesn't show and the bell doesn't gain any unread message numbers.

If I click on the bell it shows the messages as usual, but there is nothing indicating beforehand that I have unread messages.

I even have it starred to see if that affect something and no dice
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The popups might be blocked if you're using a script or ad blocker.

I personally dislike the popups because they have a short timer, so they disappear a little too quickly. I use email instead.

• Alemja
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alemja hero character
    Polycount is white listed for ads, but I'm not even getting the numbered ticks on the bell. I also just noticed I'm not getting notifications for thread updates after April 2nd. If you check this thread there have been people writing replies since yesterday

These are my notification preferences if you are interested:

Based on these I should be getting updates, this has never been an issue before... curious what could possibly be causing it, it could possibly be something server-side
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    Issue: Posting Edit of thread post does not immediately update the post window with new edited post.

1) Select "Edit" on a post of yours.
    2) Create an edit in the post.
    3) Apply edit.
    >> Post does not immediately update with edited post.  One must refresh to see the changes.  Clicking the Apply Edit button creates the "Multiple posts too soon" error.
  • Bek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bek interpolator
    ^ Also I just got a spam block on my account for 2 minutes for editing my post twice in 30 seconds. Not my fault I'm indecisive.

Or is it..?
  • ActionDawg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ActionDawg greentooth
    Tried to use a praying hands emoji and upon posting, the emoji and everything after it was deleted.
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @somedoggy can you please enter the emoji code inside a CODE block? It's in the backwards-P button.
  • ActionDawg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ActionDawg greentooth
    Sure thing!
    U+1F64F

I copied and pasted it from emojipedia.

I'll test it again too. If we cannot see the sentence below this one, it broke the post. 

• JoshuaG2
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JoshuaG2 null
    So don't know if this is the right spot to post but couldn't find a more suitable thread anywhere. I have a polycount account under the username "Joshua Godwin". I've had it for a while and I think it was BlenderMagician before changing it semi-recently. Anyways I changed the email settings to a more current email. It wants me to verify the email before I can do anything like continue posting. But I never receive the verification email no matter what. Anyways I don't know how to get that account back now.

For the record I tried sending some emails to this address helpdesk@polycount.com but never got any response. I made this account in order to get help.

Any chance a moderator could help me out on this?

Thanks

• Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @somedoggy Vanilla forum software does not allow most HTML code, so your emoji ASCII code is getting stripped out when you post.

@JoshuaG2 I sent you a message to help get you connected again.
  • cedar4cebas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cedar4cebas polycounter lvl 2
    HI, I'm fairly new here. Now I tried to create a proper profile name but somehow when login with app, it stuck with 'cedar4cebas'. 
    And 'no entry' so how do I reset and re-enter the ID I want to present with? Thanks. 
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Please contact helpdesk@polycount.com to ask for a name change.
  • cedar4cebas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Eric, but this space is so dark, and I can't possibly light a digital lite so I am not knowing where this moderator is ? 
    Can u help? I can hardly see to navigate around -- why has it to be so dark?

• cedar4cebas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    And worse, the fonts are greyish instead of some bright colors.... cant hardly see
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    And worse, the fonts are greyish instead of some bright colors.... cant hardly see
    You can make your own custom colors if you like. Search the web for "stylish addon".
  • Maximum-Dev
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Take a close look at your Notification settings. Yours are set to Popup only, which means you'll get no emails. 

Do you mean it doesn't show up in the popups? Are you using any privacy plugins, script blockers, etc.?
    Sorry for the long delay, I actually didn't have any notification from your reply either. I'm not using any plugins or scripts and my notification settings are defaults. It happens sometimes I don't see any notification number on the bell icon next to my inbox icon up there. As if someone else has logged into my account and checked out the notification tab before I do.

But I came here just to say that recently double posts/threads are getting more and more frequent.
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The double posts are an unfortunate artifact of our spam system. I showed Vanilla the bug but they refused to fix it. :(
  • hannes d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hannes d polycounter lvl 12
    the email send out by polycount is in the wrong category
    i got promoted but its not in the category promotions !

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ha. Guess we're not Social enough either. ; )