Home Technical Talk

[Polygons] PlayStation main charakters - PS1 to PS4

Hello to the whole polycount community!
First of all thank you very much for creating such a great homepage!
I have found a lot of interesting information about all kind of games. Right now Im doing research to create a chart for my upcoming article. I want to show my readers how graphics has evolved over years and console generations. Therefore I need some help and Im sure this is the best place to get it. 

Could someone tell me the Polygon Count of the most favorite characters of each console generation? (Final Fantasy Series, Metal Gear Series, Gran Turismo...)

Replies

• Obscura
    Offline / Send Message
    Obscura grand marshal polycounter
  • fenomeno0chris
    Thank you very much for your fast answer!
    I managed to create a table of several PlayStation games with their Polygons numbers. Unfortunately I can't find any reliable PS1 numbers. 

I have attached my table, so you can see what I have found so far.
  • Chaka
    Offline / Send Message
    Chaka polycounter lvl 4
    Few years ago I found a few models supposedly taken directly from some old games, it was interesting to see them inside Blender. Of course, I can't guaranty if those models are actually from their games, and if they are untouched, so take it how you want to.

Squall from Final Fantasy VIII had 727 vertices.
    Spongebob Squarepants from Nicktoons Racing (whatever that is) has 545.
    The entire Artisan's World from Spyro the Dragon (the first home world) has 5149 vertices.

Thank you very much for your fast answer!
    I managed to create a table of several PlayStation games with their Polygons numbers. Unfortunately I can't find any reliable PS1 numbers. 

I have attached my table, so you can see what I have found so far.

The model I have has 5989 vertices, even after removing doubles.

Edit: a slightly shameful question, what exactly is a polygon? From what I gathered it's the same thing as a face? In that case, the Jak model from the first game has 5407 faces.
  • RN
    Offline / Send Message
    RN sublime tool
    I think 'polygon' and 'face' are used interchangeably and can mean anything from a triangle to multi-edge non planar geometry.

If you want to be specific, use 'triangle'. All meshes are triangulated when they go to a game engine as they can only be rendered like that.
    Triangle count is also the metric to use when talking about geometry budget and performance.
  • fenomeno0chris
    Thank you very much for the information RN!
    But I can't find any numbers about the triangle count of all famous PlayStation characters. Could you please help?

Characters I need:
    [PS1; Crash Bandicoot: Crash, FFVII: Cloud, Metal Gear: Snake, Gran Turismo: Car, Tekken 3: random character]
    [PS2; Jak & Dexter: Jak, FFX: Tidus, Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake, Gran Turismo 4: Car, Tekken 5: random character]
    [PS3; Ratchet & Clank: Ratchet, FF XIII: Lightning, Metal Gear Solid 4: Old Snake, Gran Turismo 5: Car, Tekken 6: Random character]
    [PS4; Knack: Knack; FFXV: Noctis, Metal Gear Solid 5: Snake, Driveclub: Car, Tekken 7: Random character]

So thats not a useful table, for graphics comparison?

• Magihat
  • Chaka
    Offline / Send Message
    Chaka polycounter lvl 4
    Ok, so using triangles, these are the numbers:

Jak from the first game: 9808 tris
    Jak from the second game: 10731
    Jak from the third game: 14254

Ratchet
    first game: 6856
    Going Commando (in his starting outfit): 7896
    Up Your Arsenal (in his starting outfit): 7590
    Tools of Destruction: 23869
    Crack in Time: 18348
    Into the Nexus: 36714

Hope this info is correct.

I have no idea how I managed to make this quoted.
  • RN
    Offline / Send Message
    RN sublime tool
    So thats not a useful table, for graphics comparison?
    To make it more useful you could also post the sources of the information (just so people can verify it, otherwise there's no way to know if you wrote those numbers out of your imagination).
    And if you want it to be very useful artistically, you could have wireframe screenshots of faces, hands etc. showing how different triangle counts affect topology, and what solutions the artists found to get the best topology for a certain system.

@Chaka it happens when you write inside the quote part of your post. You can click the "Toggle HTML View" button (looks like </> ) and move your text to after the </blockquote> tag.

• Eric Chadwick