Home General Discussion

Here's another Blender short

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
Blond polycounter lvl 9
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mN0zPOpADL4

Still as convincing and charming as the last one. Just thought of sharing!

Cheers everyone

Replies

• JordanN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JordanN interpolator
    Gotta give credit to Blender. I bought into the misconception that Blender was "inferior", and while that may have been true in the beginning,  the gap between it and other 3D apps is diminishing. Like this short looks just as good (or perhaps better) than the Pixar stuff and ordinary people might not even tell the difference.

It's likely too late for me to switch from my 3DS Max workflow after I invested in it for years, but I do hope Blender brings the pressure on and force Autodesk to lower their prices. Because paying hundreds of dollars just to make the art I love is lame, lame , LAME!  :|:|:|
  • .Wiki
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    .Wiki polycounter lvl 8
    JordanN said:
    It's likely too late for me to switch from my 3DS Max workflow after I invested in it for years,
    It´s never too late to switch ;). If you work for a company that doesn´t use max or maya you´ll have to learn something new. After around 3 or 4 years of straight max I switched to softimage. No i´m trying to get a bit more into blender from time to time.
  • kanga
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kanga quad damage
    That was pretty darn impressive!
  • VelvetElvis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    VelvetElvis polycounter lvl 12
    Blender is just a tool. Put that tool in the hands of a talented person, and you'll get amazing work.
  • Blond
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blond polycounter lvl 9
    Blender is just a tool. Put that tool in the hands of a talented person, and you'll get amazing work.

''Just a tool''.

Come on now. And so is Microsoft Paint but I guess, most people would prefer to use Photoshop for professional work wouldn't they?
    Blender was considered like a sub-tool, an hobbyist tool not good for pro work back in the days and now with the years, we're proving that the soft is able as much the others...
  • thomasp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    well, it certainly looks good. however like all the previous blender shorts i've seen it does nothing for me in terms of entertainment which i think is what pixar is about. anyway, if it helps to improve the software, why not.

and is that meant to be george lazenby? :)

• sacboi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sacboi high dynamic range

Very cool.

...and yeah my feeling the central character could've been inspired by the 'Worst Bond' ever or come to think of it might be Steve Carell's alter ego 'Maxwell Smart', either way looks good :) 

• pior
  • thomasp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    sacboi said:

'Worst Bond' ever

you must be thinking of pierce brosnan here, i suppose. ;)

• Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cool stuff! It's nice to see Blender still cranking away.

There have been a lot of impressive improvements over the last few years especially in rendering, wow. But I still struggle with it too much to switch over, even in my spare time or freelance work. Its hard enough to find excuses to slow down and dive into Modo and keep up with zBrush.

I have too much time invested in Max and Maya, too many shortcuts and workflows that dive right into what I need to do and do it well.

Blender still lacks that depth on a lot of fronts, or makes it hard to be fast and operate at those depths. Its just too much friction to get what I need out of it. I really like the concept and I'm pulling for it to catch on and grow. It would be easier for a lot of people to adapt if more people used it in a production setting, but then no one does because no one is... classic catch 22.